Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of interest has anyone compared these two?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Personally I skipped the comparison, the 163 hp was made essentially for the following:
1) Fleet
2) taxation
With a 1,5tons car with a sporty attitude i thought the 180hp was the best show, and I assume I was right because if you check around the reviews on magazines and YouTube it's very hard to find a 163hp test drive. It is like everybody is telling you "yes, a 163 is there but you'd better go 180".
Brainwash worked for me :))

·
Registered
799 Posts
Heavy right foot worked for me no reviews needed.

Difference in company car tax is minimal.

Plus exhausts and wheels ☺

·
Registered
76 Posts
With the auto, CO2 is 106g for the 163 and 109g for the 180 (111g on 18" wheels), so it's a no brainer for around £500 ... performance, larger fuel tank, larger ad blue reservoir, twin pipes etc. Manual gearbox is 99g and and 109g respectively, so a tougher choice re. tax.

I opted for the Prestige 180 auto (with electric seats - yes, I paid for them!) over an R Sport 163. I guess some don't have a choice and others will compromise performance for styling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went for a 163 manual, mostly on cost grounds (it's easy to ratchet up the cost when you start climbing the options list and for me going to an XE at all is stretching the amount of cash I want to spend on any car), but for other reasons too. I reckoned that my current car is the same weight and only 120 bhp, so this would be a useful 1/3 increase on that, plus Jaguar deemed the 'old' 2.2L 163 to be fine in the XF, which is much heavier, and Jaguar aren't known for making badly underpowered cars. I had largely discounted the petrol versions from the start but that may have been an error as it sounds like the 200 and 240 are performing well.
I've driven the 180 in both manual and auto versions. It was pretty clear to me that the 180 auto was a good combination, but then again it should be. Reports coming from 163 owners on here seem generally positive, however, so I remain optimistic that I haven't made a terrible mistake...
Just like choosing a colour, there are no right answers.
I'm not sure there are any really wrong answers either.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It was the exhaust issue for me,although my pch broker said that I should have been able to have added bigger alloys.

I do feel that if I had ordered the 163 I would have regretted it once the novelty of a new car had worn off.
I don't tend to drive my cars too hard,but want a car that can keep me engaged for 5yrs.it was either the 180 or a 3 series.

·
Registered
428 Posts
tristan said:
With the auto, CO2 is 106g for the 163 and 109g for the 180 (111g on 18" wheels), so it's a no brainer for around £500 ... performance, larger fuel tank, larger ad blue reservoir, twin pipes etc. Manual gearbox is 99g and and 109g respectively, so a tougher choice re. tax.

I opted for the Prestige 180 auto (with electric seats - yes, I paid for them!) over an R Sport 163. I guess some don't have a choice and others will compromise performance for styling.
Never had to use AdBlue on any diesel I have had (or if I have - I have never added any!) - is it needed on the XE? And how often do you top it up - my last two oil burners were my XF and and E-Class, neither of which have received any AdBlue goodness from me!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Read in the handbook that 1ltr is used per 1000 miles and the tank holds approx 12 Ltrs. A warning is displayed when it is running low. There are instructions on how to fill it up yourself or you can take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have driven both now, one 180 as a demonstrator and my own a 163, collected today. I have only done 30 miles home in it but it felt very good so far.
I am trading up from an Astra 1.7 CTDI so it naturally feels much better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for your feed back. Massive step up from a astra congrats!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.