Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. New to the forum. I'm pleased to say that in the not too distant future (been told July 22nd) I'll also be the driver of an XE. Unfortunately as a company car so i haven't had the option to pick and choose on spec as much as some. I basically had the option of 163 or 180 both in manual. I went for the 163 for the simple reason that i though that the difference in acceleration, 7.9s rather than 7.4s (0-60mph as per Jag literature and website) was an acceptable trade off for the 99g/km and the resulting much more favourable BIK costs. (Perhaps a bit boring i know but to my defence i do also have kids so won't be throwing it round too many corners :) )

HOWEVER. Since then i have seen a number of different values advertised for the acceleration for the 163 manual.
9.1s - Whatcar (http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jaguar/xe/jaguar-xe-vs-bmw-3-series/1331221) and March 2015 issue
8.4s - Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/jaguar-xe-diesel-review-price-specs-pictures-2015-01-27)
8.4s - Carbuyer / Auto Express (http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/jaguar/xe/saloon/20d-e_performance-163ps-se_7373804/review)

I noticed that the Jag spec stated 8.4s for 0-100km/h so perhaps that's where that one comes from but the 9.1s for 0-60mph was a bit of a shock which i presume is 'measured' rather than 'stated'.

Does anyone have an idea/knowledge as to why the difference values are getting published. I'm more thinking in direct relation to the 180 rather than other cars. I.e. if 7.9s was optimistic in reality then presumably the same will apply for 7.4 whereby my i won't have 'lost out' much in my decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all. Not sure if anyone else in interested in this but i'm still no further forward. I contacted Jaguar Customer Services and they were very polite but of no help at all. Their stance was that they stand by their figures as published in the brochure and on the web-site but have no control over what other parties print (which i can understand in one way but it left me with the question of where they got their numbers from).
So if anyone has any info on the different values or perhaps could raise the question at one of the roadshows (i've missed mine up here now unfortunately) it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wouldn't expect JLR to supply any other information beyond that supplied by JLR! Nor would I expect a dealer to supply anything different. All such tests are done under different conditions. Journals will stand behind their methods, saying that they are objective. The manufacturers have their own standards. The 0-60 time is pretty meaningless in real life anyway. 30-50 or 50-70 are more interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.