Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

The car will be three years old during early September and I have started thinking about my "tactics" for dealing with this. It's been well cared for and now has 49k on the clock. Oil service is not due for several months after the MOT. My points are:

- I have some sort of MOT guarantee when I purchased it, so the car will go to the Jaguar dealer for this. Will the dealer do a type of full check-over to identify any potential warranty claims - or is it down to me to point out any potential items? I have had BMW's in the past and they were really good at pointing these things out.

- I have a couple of minor issues that I can identify, but the thing that is concerning me the most is the fact that 3 of the wheels are showing signs of surface corrosion where the lacquer has raised up and is flaking off. None of this is due to kerbing, although I have maybe one small area that was done by me. On my previous BMW, they replaced all four wheels for me, including centre caps for minor corrosion. Has anyone experienced wheel based corrosion in relation to warranty claims.

Any comments would be most welcome.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
The way forward with warranties ending is to get it booked in and have all the jobs done BEFORE it ends. The MOT warranty covers up to £750 but from memory has a few exclusions.(check them out first)

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
218 Posts
Agree with FP on this. I did the same on my previous XF and caught a couple of niggles. Once the check has happened, it's too late.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had mine in recently for the mot/pre warranty expiry check, prior to extending the manufacturers warranty (which they insist is completed in order to extend) but you can request it regardless. As long as you report all the issues within the warranty period it shouldn’t matter if the car is booked in after expiry, if this is the soonest available appointment, but good practice to get them sorted asap to minimise any hassle. I’ve not made any claims regarding the Jaguar alloys, I just tend to get them refurbished privately (I also know how good the guy is) as the likelihood they will reject even if the alloy has any minute signs of damage and thus I can’t be bothered with all the hassle (and potentially a cheap repair). Having said that, Hyundai have just replaced 4 alloys on the wife’s Santa Fe without question, and at a cost of £2400 (retail) which had stone chips (in addition to the water damage which resulted in the claim) on all 4 wheels so it’s probably worth asking the question.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks guys.

I was particularly interested in the alloys and the question of whether or not Jaguar will replace these. I just think that it's poor supplier quality or poor part specification. Wife sold a Corsa a few years ago at 10 years old and there were no corrosion-type issues at all. The car is not even three years old yet and if this was the bodywork, I am sure that Jag would sort it out for me.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As nice as polished and laquered alloys look, they are more suseptable to corrosion due to roads chips and salt in the winter (wear and tear) Painted alloys are less likely to corrode, though some do.My car is now entering it's 8th year with polished alloys and there is no visible corrosion. Washed regularly and checked at the time allows me to see any chips in the laquer. I have touched in a couple of minor chips with the laquer from a touch up kit.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think they have improved the quality in some way. My 2015 car was really bad after 4 years but my 2018 car with same wheels is fine after 4 years. I always hand wash but they say the machine wash chemicals are not very good for wheels although that may be just hearsay.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that wheels should be "fit for purpose" and be able to stand up to actually being used - as a wheel! Manufacturers are capable of specifying wheels that don't corrode and get lacquer peel, so I feel that the Jaguar ones should be in this state after 10 years, not 3 years. Let's see what happened when I raise the issue.

Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I totally agree with you over the state of JLR alloys after a few years. Far too many on here have had corrosion complaints. Funnily enough, I was washing the car today and drying with a microfibre cloth, when I spotted what I thought was a chip. It was, but an old one touch in with laquer by me over 12 months back. After all that washing and use and it's still like new. Obviously caught in time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts