Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ACC protection plate looks a bit weird on the front of the grill and flattens the badge appearance - I'll have to ask if it can be fitted behind the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm getting round to realising that the plate is a necessity and it's becoming acceptable on the basis that function takes precedence over appearance (not unlike my face …lol)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Lol...I can empathise with that :ymapplause:
I doubt the plate looks as obvious as it does in a photo anyways,but be interesting to see it on a chrome grill

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's still well worth having. I wouldn't be without it now I've tested it. It's like a guardian angel sat on the roof

·
Registered
118 Posts
gsb1970 said:
How did you test it Robert....?
I did when I had a ride with my car with the dealer plate (my plate will arrive in August).
I tested on the local beltway during rush hour selecting 90km/h on cruise control (road speed limit ), obviously impossible to keep at that moment.
It is sweet...... when approach a slower car it decelerate smoothly and sometimes you do not even realize it is working if it not for the amber light; when needed it really apply the brakes, I manage to have my way cut by a car entering my lane and the brakes applied hard to keep the distance.
I really appreciate to have it chosen, but I did not realize the cover have to stay, I thought that was a badge protector for shipment, thanks for the advice so I will not try to remove it when I will finally be able to drive my car....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, again gsb. I tested it by switching on at 70pmph in the fast lane of a dual carriageway (10 miles long - the A31 between Ringwood and Southampton) drove towards a car doing 60 ahead - the XE slowed gently 60 when 4 car length away and followed the car ahead, matching its speed at 3 lengths behind. The car ahead then moved over to the inside and the XE accelerated to the pre-set 70 all on its own. Then pulled I in to the inside lane behind a truck doing 50 and the XE again slowed to match the truck speed. Pulled out to overtake the truck and the XE accelerated on its own.

Tested the queue assist function in town - 40 limit with lights, traffic ahead slowed to 20 and the XE slowed gently behind, automatically. Traffic ahead moved off and the XE accelerated to follow their speed. Traffic ahead stopped at the next lights and the XE stopped too, all on its own.

The XE reactions were all so gentle and early that I didn't even have to think about covering the brake pedal. All I had to do was steer - didn't need the pedals.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Blimey...can see the benefit,especially for the motorway miles munchers out there.

Great safety feature aswell.

Thanks for your review.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This ACC should be great for detecting traffic dense fog. And is probably more effective than eyesight in blinding rain and snow blizzards. I can test these conditions when they crop up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
robertW said:
This ACC should be great for detecting traffic dense fog. And is probably more effective than eyesight in blinding rain and snow blizzards. I can test these conditions when they crop up.
It's actually the opposite. The ACC does very poorly in adverse weather conditions and the XE manual states the following

Do not use in poor visibility, specifically fog, heavy rain, spray or snow.
Do not use on icy or slippery roads.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
But the idea of acc as a safety feature is their,obviously just needs refining to be truly affective.
Does it use a visual camera or a laser?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gsb1970 said:
But the idea of acc as a safety feature is their,obviously just needs refining to be truly affective.
Does it use a visual camera or a laser?
It's RADAR - projected directly forward of the car - I don't think even 007 had that on his Aston Martin

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Princeofthejungle said:
robertW said:
It's actually the opposite. The ACC does very poorly in adverse weather conditions and the XE manual states the following

Do not use in poor visibility, specifically fog, heavy rain, spray or snow.
Do not use on icy or slippery roads.
Oh yes, found that, thanks. Have to revert back to old fashioned methods then - blasting the fog horn, and get the wife to walk on ahead with a flash-light

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gsb1970 said:
Don't forget the flag....I love a flag :ymparty:
Flag is good - no batteries needed - hand bells and hurricane lamps now come to mind....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You could always just wait for the automomouse braking to kick in..... :ymhug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts