Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question (and sorry if this has been answered, I did a quick search and couldn't find it): Does anyone know what the £50 air quality sensor does? I had overlooked it in the options previously, wondering if it is worth the princely sum of 50 whole pounds, and what it even does?

Thanks folks
Ric

·
Registered
86 Posts
I asked when out for a test drive and apparently it turns on Automatic Recirculation if it sniffs a nasty smell outside!
I didn't go for it - but did spend a grand total of £30 on a leather top for the automatic gear selector! I've not heard of anyone else going for that yet, so maybe mine will be unique :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have specced the leather gear top too :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi, it does exactly what it says on the tin. It senses the air quality and switches to automatic re circulation. There are settings on the touchscreen to change the sensitivity between low, medium and high. I ordered it as it was only £50 and my previous car had it as standard. To be honest it's one of those things that works away silently in the background that you wouldn't even notice. On previous cars if I spotted smoke in the distance from a fire drifting across the road I would select recirc myself. This just saves you pushing the button.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How does it distinguish nice and nasty smells. If I'm driving past a brewery or brothel will it keep the external vents open? Will it turn on re-circ if I drive past a pig farm. What if I like the smell of pig farms, can you set preferences?

If it can do this I might pay £50 for it!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's not a nose so cannot detect smell. I'm guessing that it detects particles in the air and determines its quality.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BAIKAR is correct, it doesn't "smell", but analyses air quality based on particles, CO² levels, etc. and switches the air re-circulation automatically.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With one or 2 of my mates, I could probably do with one on the inside of the car too, to ensure it does exactly the opposite, perhaps opens the electric windows too ... Jaguar are a little too classy to offer a 'Fart Sensor' I guess!

·
Registered
42 Posts
richarda said:
With one or 2 of my mates, I could probably do with one on the inside of the car too, to ensure it does exactly the opposite, perhaps opens the electric windows too ... Jaguar are a little too classy to offer a 'Fart Sensor' I guess!
I think you're on my wavelength.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NorthernStr said:
richarda said:
I think you're on my wavelength.
:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's a bit of a strange omission from the standard spec really, especially given the option price is only £50. I've had this on my past few cars and it's great if you are regularly sitting in traffic, as it saves that initial burst of traffic fumes that you otherwise get if you forget to hit the button yourself. It then auto-opens up again when you are back out with cleaner air again. it's more useful than it maybe sounds :)

One of the first things I specced,; at £50 was a bit of a no brainer for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts