Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know what the bolt pattern/offsett etc is going to be as plan on changing the wheels once it arrives. I wonder if a set of a xf would fit?

G

·
Alex, you can see wheel sizes in the accessories brochure, towards the back.

What are you going to do about the tyre pressure monitoring? I want to get a set of non Jaguar alloys with winter tyres. The manual says if you drive without the TPMS transmitters then a fault will be constantly displayed.

Anyone else thought about winter wheels and tyres? I couldn't find any Jaguar package offers. Maybe the wrong time of year.

G

·
Alex

Where are you located? I would be interested in buying your old (new!) wheels to change out to winter tyres if you do replace them soon after purchase.

G

·
No probs. my dealer can supply new 17's for winter and he can fit tyres supplied by me. Won't budge off list for wheels but buying tyres online saves £300 off the stealer price. No fee for fitting the tyres.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Does anyone know how the TPM works on the XE ?

So far as I am aware, with the runflats on my BMW, the system measure the rotational speed (which is directly proportional to the rolling diameter and hence the tyre pressure) of each wheel and compares the four wheels tyres, generating an alarm if one tyre is rotating faster that the others. In 8 years I've had the alarm twice, one a genuine puncture, the other a false alarm. Resetting the system is simple enough and it does seem to work.

On the other hand, I believe that more modern systems use a transponder in the tyre which sends an RF signal to a processing unit in the car although quite how the transponder and its associated electronics is powered reliably for the life of a tyre is beyond me. Also, this assumes that the slimline spare (and any winter tyres) have the same transponder system.

Oddly enough, I've not had a convincing answer from any dealer that I've asked. Not a particularly urgent problem, but I do like to know how these things work !

Ian

·
Registered
799 Posts
The bmw system works. I get a message at 2psi drop.well it's 2psi by time I measure it.

With the 'new system' is the same sensor fitted to run flats or does it register a fault?

I like the old system ☺

·
Registered
505 Posts
tobes,

I don't get tyre pressure readings, just a very noisy alarm when the system goes off. Sounds like your system is the in-tyre transponder type - my car is almost 8 years old. Do you have runflats ?

Ian

·
Registered
799 Posts
I get the alarm. Then stop and check the tyres myself as it doesn't tell me which wheel. It's so sensitive it's hard to tell which it is without checking. If I left it longer it would be obvious but I hear an alarm and stop.
I ditched the run flats. 275/30/19 were not fun or cheap.
Mines 10 years old.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have the "which wheel" problem too, and with runflats it really is difficult to tell which tyre is down, even when it is completely out of air. They are great for getting you off the Motorway, say, but not much good if you're in the Scottish Highlands, miles from anywhere. Same with alternative "temporary" repair systems. That's the main reason I specced a spare wheel - it may take you longer at 50mph but at least you can where you're going without too much hassle.

G

·
That is correct, RF transmitter.

There is a note in the manual stating that using the spare wheel or winter wheels without TPMS valves will result in a constant fault indicated on the display.

The Jaguar wheels come with the TMPS valves.

I contacted mrwinterwheels.co.uk and they can supply non Jaguar wheels with TMPS valves which they say will work with the XE. Their wheels/tyres are £800 ish cheaper than using Jaguar wheels with my own purchased winter tyres but I think I will stay with Jaguar. At least if the TMPS valves play up I can go back to the dealer. Reading some XF forums it would seems the valves are not very reliable.

·
Registered
505 Posts
navigator,

Thanks for that - I haven't got that far in the manual yet - as downloaded and very unwieldy with almost 300 pages to get in the wrong order. The mention of the tyre valves is interesting - the blurb I read up seems to say that the transducers are actually in the tyre, no mention of the valve, which begs the question of what happens when you have a new tyre fitted. I think I'll stop worrying about it until it goes wrong - which may be sooner rather than later if the XF version is giving trouble.

Ian

Ian

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't know if the XE ones are the same as the XF ones, I'd be surprised if the XE ones were in the tyre as I imagine these could easily get damaged if they were but I could be wrong!
The XF ones were not that bad really, they were originally Ford ones but re-labled JLR although it was always cheaper to buy Ford ones. I had 8 sets of different wheels for my previous Jags in total and the only fault I ever had was when I stupidly bought US spec ones off ebay which use a different frequency.
The sensors do have a battery built in and like most batteries, they do eventually die and the only option then is to replace the whole sensor which is a pain!

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Actually, you can even see they still say made by Ford

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.