Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK chaps I've posted a couple of threads regarding a prospective purchase which I've selected over others because of spec levels (among other things). My background is Ford Motor Co but spent 5 years at Whitley Eng Ctr on the launch of X-Type - soup-to-nuts and dis high speed and high ambient testing on that model with the Jag guys. So, I know a bit about Jags (older ones) and have grown up recently with Ford cars. I have become somewhat complacent regarding spec levels as I've always had top spec cars from Ford but now want something 'different' and dare I say it 'better'. BUT - when looking at specs of prospective XE's I don't see the same offerings generally. Nowadays I expect my next car to have the following:
1. Auto lights and wipers
2. Heated front screen
3. Folding rear seat
4. Rear camera
5. BLIS (for Jag read Blind Spot Awareness)
6. Electric seat adjustment

All above are on my current Ford car which is middle-of-the-road model.
My question is how many other XE owners make use of the above - am I concerned about nothing?

I recognise most XE's come with a raft of other 'extras' on top of the Ford offerings but I have made a strict rule with myself to only consider those with the above options. Should I be concerned or spread my options?

Obviously the first consideration is body colour and interior. Then trim level - I think the R-Sport is the most attractive. Oh, and Diesels are definitely OUT. Any petrol engines are IN but I'm not concerned which one (200-380PS) and not bothered with AWD but low miles and 1-owner a big advantage. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hi Roger-W, the Corris Grey Xe you're interested in is very well spec'd and has at least the first four items on your list, plus my go-to essential item - adaptive cruise. There are members here with access to Topix who can download the actual build sheet if you provide them with a VIN (on service history).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
1... all the time
2... rarely
3... often
4... all the time
5... don't have it but there is a blind spot
6... wouldn't be without + memory

·
Registered
444 Posts
OK chaps I've posted a couple of threads regarding a prospective purchase which I've selected over others because of spec levels (among other things). My background is Ford Motor Co but spent 5 years at Whitley Eng Ctr on the launch of X-Type - soup-to-nuts and dis high speed and high ambient testing on that model with the Jag guys. So, I know a bit about Jags (older ones) and have grown up recently with Ford cars. I have become somewhat complacent regarding spec levels as I've always had top spec cars from Ford but now want something 'different' and dare I say it 'better'. BUT - when looking at specs of prospective XE's I don't see the same offerings generally. Nowadays I expect my next car to have the following:
1. Auto lights and wipers
2. Heated front screen
3. Folding rear seat
4. Rear camera
5. BLIS (for Jag read Blind Spot Awareness)
6. Electric seat adjustment

All above are on my current Ford car which is middle-of-the-road model.
My question is how many other XE owners make use of the above - am I concerned about nothing?

I recognise most XE's come with a raft of other 'extras' on top of the Ford offerings but I have made a strict rule with myself to only consider those with the above options. Should I be concerned or spread my options?

Obviously the first consideration is body colour and interior. Then trim level - I think the R-Sport is the most attractive. Oh, and Diesels are definitely OUT. Any petrol engines are IN but I'm not concerned which one (200-380PS) and not bothered with AWD but low miles and 1-owner a big advantage. Thanks.
Hi Roger.
I'm intrigued by your Ford Motor Company background! I've been with Ford for just over 30 years now and my XE is the first non Ford car I have ever owned! I also had a well specified car and the 2 absolute musts for me was the heated front screen and cruise control. (Anyone who has never had a heated front screen won't get it! 😉😂)
I can live with out the electric seats as I am the only driver! Would have liked folding seats but you can't always get every! As soon as I added heated front screen to my list of wants, the choice went from about 25 cars down to about 5!
Anyway hope you find what you're looking for!
P.s. I got a heated steering wheel as a bonus of having the heated screen which is lovely. 😁

·
Registered
in Sandwell, West Midlands!
906 Posts
I've got all 6, and the one I use least is power seats - I wouldn't be without them though 😁

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ah.....the heated steering wheel - the extra you never knew you wanted until you had it. Then you can't imagine doing without it!
So very true! I always find things like heated screen and steering wheel are of varying importance to people depending how they use their car! I leave for work at 6 each week day and I use both every morning for at least 4 months of the year! 😳 So for me, no heated screen, no buy! 😉

·
Registered
343 Posts
My thoughts...

1. Auto lights and wipers - Mine has these and I use them all the time.
2. Heated front screen - Don't have it and don't miss it. An old-fashioned ice scraper is quicker.
3. Folding rear seat - Don't have it, but would like it.
4. Rear camera - Most/all XE's have this. Good,
5. BLIS (for Jag read Blind Spot Awareness) - Don't have it and have never had it.
6. Electric seat adjustment - Don't have it, but would like it.

Any car that you can't spec-up new will have to contain compromises, but even a basic XE is a good spec IMO.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
1. My 1st XE had auto lights and wipers as they all do as far as I know, but present one has an addition of auto headlights and those little extra lights that come on as you turn which is quite nice. Wouldn’t bother me though if the 2 extras were not there.
2. 1st XE had the heated screen and I really wish this one had it. Had the heated steering wheel on both cars and now wouldn’t be without it.
3. No folding rear seats on 1st XE. Made sure the present car had them. Should be standard.
4. 1st XE had rear camera and front and rear sensors. Present car only has rear sensors. Not too bothered about the camera but a bit stingy to leave off front sensors which I do miss.
5. Got Blind spot monitor on present car, not on 1st. Love it, nice to have but not too bothered if it wasn’t there.
6. Electric seats are a must have once you’ve had them and a bonus on the present car is bolster adjustment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi going to add my 5 cents.
If you can, get car with ICTP (10 inch central screen), a lot of fun stuff are requires it.
Also 14 way seats are really nice to have if you are tall, for me seat cushion is a bit short.
I have blind spot assist and it is good, it helps with motorcyclists, indicators light up much earlier than you can see them.

·
Registered
2018 XE-S, Carpathian Grey, all the good fruit
98 Posts
I bought an XE-S a month ago, here's my view as a relative newbie:

1. Auto lights and wipers - I leave these both on auto and let the car do what it wants. I love this feature.
2. Heated front screen - I use the windscreen a/c vents quite a bit on all cars. Or do you mean heated front seats?
3. Folding rear seat - I haven't used this yet, but it will probably come in handy.
4. Rear camera - A few years ago I would've said "If you need a camera you shouldn't have a drivers license" but all my work trucks have cameras and I've gotten so used to them that I don't like reverse parking without one.
5. BLIS (for Jag read Blind Spot Awareness) - I have it, probably could do without it, but
6. Electric seat adjustment - I have it, but I usually set and forget my seat position. I can see how having the three memories would be really handy if multiple people drive the car.

HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to all.
@RoJo - thanks again for your input. Yes I'm aware of the spec of this car which is why it appeals so much. Firstly the exterior and interior colour combo I really like. I have rejected cars in similar colours because they have not had HFS, and/or folding rear seat. They have all been a lot newer than this example.
@Nuttyspark - I retired from Ford in 2016 after 32 years (the first 7 on contract via design agency). I was an Engineer working for Climate Control Division until they separated all their component divisions and we were re-branded Visteon. Around the same time 1998 I led a team supplying the front end cooling system (heat exchangers) for the X-Type. Prior to that I was responsible for providing aircon hoses across the Jaguar range from 94MY XJS (and AM DB7), 95MY X300, 97MY X100 and 99MY X200. After piloting the production at Basildon, Essex the business was transferred to our sister plant in Czech Republic Autopal. Back to the query - yes I've had HFS on every car since my first new Ford in '87 but as I don't have to brave the icy mornings now I wonder how important it really is? Ha!
@Gojira @BOBCDP and others - I do like the electric seats, especially with memory but as I will be the only driver how important is it really? Nice bragging item though!
I've only seen ONE car advertised with Blind Spot Assist - but it didn't have the other extras.

Maybe my only choice is to buy a new one and fully load it? But with waiting lists so long for new cars it would probably end up being a BEV - :oops::eek:(n)

Thanks again chaps! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Understanding my feedback is based on living in a part of the USA where we get snow/ice/freezing rain and temps as low as -5F in the winter acknowledging my Jag-g-g is garage-kept so no scraping glass when starting off on a cold frigid morning:

1. Very convenient and on all the time
2. I don't have the heated front windscreen (only the rear window) but do have the heated steering wheel which (as Ivor says) is something once you have you'll never not want to have. The heated windscreen is nice but not essential due to my garage
3. Nice but rarely used. If I'm lugging something big, it's going in my wife's Jeep, lol
4. Must have
5. Must have. The JLR XE system works great even though you should in reality always drive/back up carefully like you didn't have such a system. Twice this system has saved me when some nutter was doing 35MPH+ in a crowded parking lot when I was backing up to pull out.
6. Although manual seats can work just fine, the electronic seat adjustments in my mind are a must have to get the seat exactly right for you and then save it so when SWMBO drives your XE you're then not trying to re-figure out those same perfect settings again. Heated and Cooled seats are a Must Have if you have Ebony seats and hot summer temps.

Heads Up Display, Premium Interior Lighting (so you get the nice puddle lights too), and Red Calipers are also very nice to haves.

Good luck with your search/purchase!

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
My XE has all those features. The heated wheel is a Godsend in winter as I have Reynauds syndrome. I have the blind spot warning as well and it's very useful. Heated seats a must. Least used is what everyone without wants, folding rear seats! I also have a Panoramic roof (hardly ever used but brightens the car with ebony interior) multiple position front seats which I like. Auto dimming mirrors. Auto wipers and lights are very useful when set. I love the EH front screen, as on remote start to warm the car the screens are clear of frost.

·
Registered
in Sandwell, West Midlands!
906 Posts
@roger_walker you asked about the electric seats.

I have two settings memorised - the normal setting I use 95% of the time, and the very slightly different setting I switch to for a break on a long run.

It is only a couple of degrees change to the angle of the backrest, but it makes all the difference to a back that likes to remind me I probably shouldn't have had ace bars on my motorbikes, back when the world was young! :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Blind spot awareness actually covers 2 different items: (1) the warning in the door mirrors that another vehicle is close to your side and (2) the warning chime you get when in reverse if a car or person is starting to cross your reversing path. (1) is useful but I've come to appreciate that (2) is absolutely essential. On several occasions it has warned me in good time, particularly when someone is driving too fast past your rear in a car park. Its sensitivity also seems sufficient to register a person - even a toddler - behind you, so it can prevent the tragedies that occasionally happen when someone reverses into, or indeed over, a person.

·
Registered
273 Posts
my input on it ;)

1. Auto lights and wipers - all jags/trims have it it now if i'm not mistaken
2. Heated front screen - option now, was std in prev xf generation - loved it and miss it now. even if you are not getting up early to drive it still comes in handy for demisting
3. Folding rear seat - don't miss it all i need to move fits in nicely, for any bigger stuff got wife's SUV ;)
4. Rear camera - didn't have it on xf, got it now, could live without as got rear sensors (and they are std i think)
5. BLIS (for Jag read Blind Spot Awareness) - would like to have it on xe as my sitting position and restricted view will get me in trouble at some point (had 2 or 3 near misses because of it:()
6. Electric seat adjustment - if you will be only driver it's not that important. me and wife uses xe, so that would be very handy for us

Reactions: First Jag-g-g

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Blind spot awareness actually covers 2 different items: (1) the warning in the door mirrors that another vehicle is close to your side and (2) the warning chime you get when in reverse if a car or person is starting to cross your reversing path. (1) is useful but I've come to appreciate that (2) is absolutely essential. On several occasions it has warned me in good time, particularly when someone is driving too fast past your rear in a car park. Its sensitivity also seems sufficient to register a person - even a toddler - behind you, so it can prevent the tragedies that occasionally happen when someone reverses into, or indeed over, a person.
Well thanks Chris. I didn’t realise it was the mirrors. I always thought it was the rear sensors cutting in. You live and learn😊😊

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
The nice thing about these rear sensors, is that if you are nose into a space and a van parks next to you on one side with a chelsea tractor on the other side it's impossible to see out of the space (also the same if reversed in) but the sensors pick up anything approaching before you see them, inc people. as Gojira says, two seat positions in the memory for when on a long journey also helps comfort. Go for as many gadgets as you can. After all when you trade in it will be a Jaguar Xe year 20xx in Glasses guide at the same trade in value as a base version + a tenner for the extras,

1 - 20 of 46 Posts