Jaguar XE Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have the Traffic Alert radar on my current car (2015 Focus) and find it very obtrusive. Yes, it's there for a purpose but I find it a bit scary! Oh yes, it also has rear camera which I still can't get used to after 7 years ownership :oops:馃ぃ馃槀馃榾

Registered
...similar to Fighterpilot - I rarely use my heated front windscreen as I'm in the far South and don't get the harsh winters - but when it's nippy I use the heated steering wheel and heated seats.

I use the air conditioned vented seats in Summer the most, which having had them I would be loathed to do without!

Get the auto-dimming wing mirrors if you can - didn't realise how much glare you get from traffic until I experienced these!

And the HUD - love that! My car also has the 360 degree cameras and it auto-parks itself, but I don't use it.

I have the Panoramic roof with full opening but hardly use it in 'open' mode.

So like Fighterpilot says - go for as many gadgets as you can. It's crazy the extras don't get the resale, afterall they add up to 拢kkk's, crazy. :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
...similar to Fighterpilot - I rarely use my heated front windscreen as I'm in the far South and don't get the harsh winters - but when it's nippy I use the heated steering wheel and heated seats.

I use the air conditioned vented seats in Summer the most, which having had them I would be loathed to do without!

Get the auto-dimming wing mirrors if you can - didn't realise how much glare you get from traffic until I experienced these!

And the HUD - love that! My car also has the 360 degree cameras and it auto-parks itself, but I don't use it.

I have the Panoramic roof with full opening but hardly use it in 'open' mode.

So like Fighterpilot says - go for as many gadgets as you can. It's crazy the extras don't get the resale, afterall they add up to 拢kkk's, crazy. :rolleyes:
You're probably right about the HFS as I'm rarely out in the cold winter mornings now anyhow. I didn't know about auto-dimming door mirrors? How does that work?
I'm not fussed about HUD or the 360deg camera. Auto parking? Been there, can easily live without. Sun roofs are totally unnecessary with a/c - but I agree it's nice to pop it up now and then - not a deal breaker..
Thanks for info. (y):)

Registered
I have all the extras you mention, plus almost all the others. Having been a RN fixed wing pilot, there is only one extra that I wish my car has;-; the HUD -Head Up Display. This is invaluable saving the need to take your eyes off the road, to look at an instrument, but I bought my R-Sport, less than 1 year old, in 2016 having been a demo car.
Happy hunting.

Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
Regarding the self dipping mirrors, they actually darken when a car with bright lights comes behind the car. Not self dipping as such but work very well to stop dazzle from behind.

Registered
Cars have had self darkening interior mirrors as a premium item for quite a while now, but self darkening door mirrors have, for some reason, only become available relatively recently - and then often only on the driver's side.
I was always puzzled by this - you can be just as dazzled by headlights of vehicles behind in you door mirrors as you can in your interior mirror - particularly if the vehicle behind is an SUV or pickup truck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Regarding the self dipping mirrors, they actually darken when a car with bright lights comes behind the car. Not self dipping as such but work very well to stop dazzle from behind.
What's the "Jag-speak" for this option? - It's something I've never come across

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Cars have had self darkening interior mirrors as a premium item for quite a while now, but self darkening door mirrors have, for some reason, only become available relatively recently - and then often only on the driver's side.
I was always puzzled by this - you can be just as dazzled by headlights of vehicles behind in you door mirrors as you can in your interior mirror - particularly if the vehicle behind is an SUV or pickup truck.
Totally agree Chris but TBH with "privacy glass" as well as darkening rear view mirror I think it goes too far! I was always happy enough in the old days to manually dip my rer view mirror. And personally I'd rather do away with 'privacy glass' except for the fact that it makes the car look good from the outside :cool:

Registered
Chris,
As a point of reference, my MY07 Saab 9-3 has self darkening side view door mirrors. The manufacturing process was somewhat poor back then so many such mirrors needed to be replaced over time after being exposed to the sun and weather extremes.

Maybe JLR is trying to save some more money? :)

Registered
I assume it is part of the overtaking blindspot warning system. Regarding privacy glass, it is not a feature I would want and was lucky that my car has clear glass. I use the window shields in summer to help keep the car cooler. They clip in all the rear windows. A meshh is fitted to them which you can see through. The darkening mirrors, by the way, only work at night, or very poor light conditions eg early morning or evening when the sun is very low.

Administrator
South Bucks
On the earlier XE's if you had auto dipping mirrors specced, the internal mirror was the controller for the external mirror dipping.
The small oval sensor at the bottom of the mirror controlled both the internal mirror dipping and the external mirrors.

Registered
My mirrors actually darken.as you can see them darken with no internal movements, either on door mirrors or rear view. A dark line forms at the edge of the mirrors.

Administrator
South Bucks
The sensor in the internal mirror is the controller for the wing mirrors.
Get glare in the internal mirror and it will darken the wing wirrors.
Source: A previous Belgian member who also had to shell out around 80 Euros extra for a dipping internal mirror (Not standard spec there) to enable his dipping wing mirrors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ah, so the door mirrors darken at night - not due to high beam from the wally behind then? I think Photochromic mirrors have been around for some time........

Administrator
South Bucks
Ah, so the door mirrors darken at night - not due to high beam from the wally behind then? I think Photochromic mirrors have been around for some time........
No.
As I said in my post above, if you get dazzled in your rear view mirror then the wing mirrors will also darken as the sensor controls all 3 mirrors.
They don't darken at night unless you are dazzled from behind.

Registered
Phil B is correct on this matter. I have the rear blind which is usually in place and sometimes actually retract it if I am being dazzled on the side mirrors to get them to darken as the blind reduces the darkening effect.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hmm. Yes I heard what you said Phil but just from my experience with "auto-dipping" (photochromic) interior mirrors I thought they just went dark at night (when you put your light on).
But that said, I've not owned a Jag before (driven plenty) and never considered if it was headlights or just night-time that activated it.
Thanks for the info. As my old dad used to say "Son, some days you learn nothing..." :)

Registered
No.
As I said in my post above, if you get dazzled in your rear view mirror then the wing mirrors will also darken as the sensor controls all 3 mirrors.
They don't darken at night unless you are dazzled from behind.
[/QUOTE

...as Phil says. Also the wing mirrors 'auto-dip' - turn down - in reverse mode.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So is this a stand-alone optional feature or part of a pack? Thanks all. :)

Registered
Just a point here that my heated screens activate automatically dependant on ambient temp. They can also be switched in manually.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts