Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure when I ordered my car (r-sport) it said it came with extended ambient lighting. I almost ordered the £300 option to be able to change the colour. However the only lighting I seem to have is the downlighting in the doors. Is this all there isn't? I don't mind it's just I think it's crazy to charge so much to alter 4 lights!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think the ambient extended lighting continues into the rear of the car so the door handles are illuminated plus the door pockets and the door puddle lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think the thin blue line of color just below the central console buttons is part of the basic ambient lighting.

When you spec the "advanced ambient lighting", you have a choice of 10 colors, and you've got more lights as well.
See the virtual 360° tour of the inside of the car here : http://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/xe/index.html

Ambient lighting is set to red color on this "image".

·
Registered
597 Posts
That has explained more than the salesman did, I have ordered it so it's nice to see , thank you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was checking this out yesterday as i went standard . No ambient light setting to be found on the display . I cannot figure out what ambient lighting we have in the car as it looks quite basic

·
Registered
799 Posts
Mine will be standard as I couldn't get any options. Not sure I like the look of a colour illuminating a different colour though. Fir the option it would in my opinion look better if all lights changed to the choosen/selected colour.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I did assume, wrongly, that it did change all the lights.

·
Registered
67 Posts
According to the virtual tour I pasted above, it doesn't change all the lights.

However, the description of the option I read somewhere (in the french manual, maybe?) was not clear about it and made me think it actually was changing the colour of all the lights except for the "feet" lights (front and rear). Who knows what's correct now... :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Now the nights are drawing in I am enjoying my XES in the dark. I don't seem to have any ambient lighting, bar the blue around the main controls. No lights come on in the foot wells which do come on when I turn the ignition off. There is no red around the gear selector and no light around the doors. Is there a setting to turn on or off? I don't have an option in the extras for ambient lighting.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I toyed with the idea of speccing the adjustable ambient lighting, but talking to other people who have it in other cars, no one seems to use it much. I also figured it wasn't going to be something that added value to the car further down the road either, so didn't think it worth the £320. Although I did worry that the standard blue wouldn't go with my Ebony Pimento seats.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,433 Posts
clivetay33 said:
Now the nights are drawing in I am enjoying my XES in the dark. I don't seem to have any ambient lighting, bar the blue around the main controls. No lights come on in the foot wells which do come on when I turn the ignition off. There is no red around the gear selector and no light around the doors. Is there a setting to turn on or off? I don't have an option in the extras for ambient lighting.
No, what you have is quite normal for the standard spec "ambient" or "mood" lighting or whatever BS name the advertising muppets like to come up with.
Door switches should be illuminated and there should be a blue ring around the actual selector.
I don't think people want to drive along with their feet illuminated hence why the footwell lights only come on with doors opening etc.

If people have shelled out around 300 quid for the configurable lighting then you do get extra stuff like puddle lights in the bottom of all 4 doors, a bit more around the gear console itself and other bits and pieces.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the replies looks like I have the standard offering which is working as it should. One other think I noticed was the audio on/off button is not illuminated which seems odd. Is this normal?

·
Registered
87 Posts
clivetay33 said:
Thanks for the replies looks like I have the standard offering which is working as it should. One other think I noticed was the audio on/off button is not illuminated which seems odd. Is this normal?
Drove my Jag for the first time in the dark yesterday. The audio on / off button isn't illuminated on mine either, so I would suspect it is normal. Looks a bit strange though.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,433 Posts
Yep.
Audio on/off button isn't lit.
Probably saved 5p on each vehicle not having it.

In the 2000's I had several Saabs and they had a great feature (apart from the world's best dash cupholder) which was a button on the dash which would turn off all internal lighting apart from the speedo at night.
I found it very useful to help me concentrate and avoid the Reindeer herds and the odd moose on the snow covered roads around Slough.
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
87 Posts
PhilB said:
Yep.
Audio on/off button isn't lit.
Probably saved 5p on each vehicle not having it.

In the 2000's I had several Saabs and they had a great feature (apart from the world's best dash cupholder) which was a button on the dash which would turn off all internal lighting apart from the speedo at night.
I found it very useful to help me concentrate and avoid the Reindeer herds and the odd moose on the snow covered roads around Slough.
I've had Saab's as well Phil. Imported a 95 estate myself in 2002. Took that route as I paid about 2/3 of list at the tine. It was a great car. Agree about the cop holders, cracking Scandinavian design. I still maintain the Saab 95 seats are the most comfortable I have encountered in any car.

Back on topic, I don't get any illumination under the doors when opening. I thought that was standard on all XE's?

·
Registered
330 Posts
PhilB said:
Doesn't the XE have a stealth mode?

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,433 Posts
morini said:
I've had Saab's as well Phil. Imported a 95 estate myself in 2002. Took that route as I paid about 2/3 of list at the tine. It was a great car. Agree about the cop holders, cracking Scandinavian design. I still maintain the Saab 95 seats are the most comfortable I have encountered in any car.

Back on topic, I don't get any illumination under the doors when opening. I thought that was standard on all XE's?
Yep, I had a 95 Estate with the V6 diesel for a while.
Brilliant car.
Also had a 9-3 Aero which often tried to kill me but what a hoot!

Unless things have changed, the "basic" spec was to have puddle lights in the bottom of the wing mirrors only.
If you have a feel at the bottom of the door cards on both front and rear doors there are oblong blanks which will have proper lights in them IF you paid extra for the configurable lighting.
Might have changed though with updated specs more recently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks Phil, I'll check when I leave the office later. I have not noticed any lighting under the door mirrors either though. My driveway was pitch black when I left at 5am this morning, so I'm sure I'd have noticed if the mirrors were lit.

I did start the car from my phone while I brushed my teeth. That one is a novelty I don't think I will tire of :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just to confirm, I checked last night and my car definitely does not have puddle lights under doors. Nor does it appear to have any lights under the door mirrors. Maybe that is only with the folding mirrors? (I wish if specified those now as I would still have come in with a < 40k list).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts