Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just one week in and only 200 miles. The car is very very good, but is it me, or is there a tad too much noise from the air con and, on certain tarmac, from the tyres? Any views??
(Bluefire, R-Sport, 240bhp on 18" Matrix alloys.)

·
Registered
799 Posts
What did you drive before?
It's all relative.

My avensis hire car has more road noise (tyre) than my 5 series even though my 5 has a lot larger wheels. Especially noticeable on concrete motorways as the noise is terrible (avensis) and at its worst at 70 mph.

As for air con is it all the time or just on max?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tobes
Last two cars have been XF 3.0. So slightly softer 'sprung'.
Re the air con is all the time it's in 'Auto' ie with the cooling on.
R.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The XF was probably a better build and no doubt higher levels of insulation.

My auto air con (Bmw) seems to run near max then drops low once temp set. Never been noise though unless set to clear screen.

Don't get my xe for a week or 2 will soon let you know if it does seem loud.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tobes
I'd be interested to get your view. I've just driven to Liverpool and have to say it didn't seem as 'bad'. I think this is 50% my hypersensitivity to a new car, and 50% down to it is generally a quiet, subdued and very refined car, which may be throwing some other extraneous noises into prominence.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, I think that the dreaded 'new car hypersensitivity' can be a problem Richard. It takes me about a year before I am truly relaxed about a car, and don't spend 5 minutes reconnoitring all prospective parking spaces. :-S

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pickle77
Ha! ha! You have obviously watching me.
However, have negotiated my way around the rather good infotainment system I have found under 'Climate Settings' a sub-menu saying 'Auto Power' which has 3 fan speed settings for the climate control when in 'Auto'. I've backed it off to low and now ....... it's the sound of silence, well close enough!! Now is there one for tyre noise!?!

·
Registered
359 Posts
RichardS said:
Pickle77
Ha! ha! You have obviously watching me.
However, have negotiated my way around the rather good infotainment system I have found under 'Climate Settings' a sub-menu saying 'Auto Power' which has 3 fan speed settings for the climate control when in 'Auto'. I've backed it off to low and now ....... it's the sound of silence, well close enough!! Now is there one for tyre noise!?!
I had the same story with the aircon. I also found the 3 auto speeds and it helped. However the noise I was hearing came and went with engine rpm and the aircon switched off. I noticed this from the start and it sounded like there was a blanking plug missing in behind the dash. It was like the engine sound was being piped into the cabin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just a thought - whatever happened to noise cancellation technology? It seemed to be all the rage a few years ago as a premium feature so you'd think it would be pretty standard (especially on the premium audio system) by now.
Did everyone decide it didn't work after all?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Paul said:
Just a thought - whatever happened to noise cancellation technology? It seemed to be all the rage a few years ago as a premium feature so you'd think it would be pretty standard (especially on the premium audio system) by now.
Did everyone decide it didn't work after all?
Emissions happened. Lightweight equals less noise insulation

·
Registered
86 Posts
True but I thought that the clever electronic stuff would still reduce it significantly

·
Registered
799 Posts
Paul said:
True but I thought that the clever electronic stuff would still reduce it significantly
They have just sold a flat for 45 million pounds on the development I am working on where money is no object.. Trust me technology does not equal good old fashioned
Solid build..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts