Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody any real life experience of Autonomous Emergency Braking?

It's good to see that every model in the UK XE range will have this safety device fitted.

The Owner's Manual explains:

"The AEB system uses the forward-facing cameras, located above the rear-view mirror, to identify a collision risk. AEB and Forward collision warning are enabled every time the vehicle is switched on but may be disabled via the Instrument panel menu.

Note: In order for the AEB system to work correctly, make sure that the windscreen is kept clean and the camera's line of sight is not obstructed by labels, stickers or any other objects.

AEB is provided to mitigate the severity, and in some instances avoid a rear-end collision between the host vehicle and other vehicles that are in its forward path.

When a collision risk is detected, a Forward collision warning is displayed in the Message centre. If avoiding action is not taken and a collision is not avoidable, the brakes will automatically be applied. After the vehicle has stopped, the brakes will only be applied for a few seconds.

If the AEB system has started to engage, the driver can override it's operation via steering or accelerator inputs, causing the system to disengage. This is to make sure that the driver remains in full control of the vehicle.

Note: The efficiency of the system is dependent on the condition of the road surface and the condition of the vehicle's tyres, braking system and vehicle speed.

AEB will not operate if:

• The vehicle is negotiating a tight corner.

• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is switched off.

• The cameras are dirty or obstructed.

The vehicle's speed is below 5 km/h (3 mph) or above 80 km/h (50 mph).

• When visibility is impaired due to severe weather conditions (for example, heavy rain, fog, snow, etc.).

Note: On initial vehicle start-up, the AEB system may require an initialization period before it is fully functional. This is indicated by a warning message in the Message centre. During this period, the efficiency of the AEB system is limited.

Note: If the vehicle's windscreen is replaced, or the camera located above the rear- iew mirror is moved or replaced, AEB should be re-calibrated."

Even more encouraging is the fact that Euro NCAP and ANCAP, the independent safety bodies for Europe and Australasia have very recently announced the advanced publication of EFFECTIVENESS OF LOW SPEED AUTONOMOUS EMERGENCY BRAKING IN REAL-WORLD REAR-END CRASHES.

The Study Confirms High Effectiveness of Low Speed Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB)

Brussels, Belgium, 13 May 2015 - Euro NCAP and ANCAP, the independent safety bodies for Europe and Australasia, today announce the advanced publication of EFFECTIVENESS OF LOW SPEED AUTONOMOUS EMERGENCY BRAKING IN REAL-WORLD REAR-END CRASHES in the online edition of the journal 'Accident Analysis & Prevention'.

The publication reported:

- that Low Speed AEB technology leads to a 38% reduction in real-world rear-end crashes;
- that there is no significant difference between urban and rural crash benefits;
- that Meta-analysis is an effective method for combining data from various countries.

The publication concluded that Low Speed AEB technology needs widespread fitment for maximum benefits.

Autonomous Emergency Braking is one of the more promising safety technologies that is becoming increasingly common on modern passenger cars. The low speed option normally consists of an automatic brake function that operates for speeds up to 30km/h or 50km/h. Previous studies have predicted significant expected benefits of AEB technology in low speed rear-end crashes but, so far, there has been little evidence that they really work.

Real-world evaluations of advanced safety systems are often limited by slow take-up rates, insufficient crash data and lower crash rates of new, safer vehicles. Euro NCAP, with support of ANCAP, has initiated the 'Validating Vehicle Safety through Meta-Analysis' (VVSMA) group that brings together experts from governments, industry, consumer and insurance organisations. The group pooled data from five European countries plus Australia using a standard analysis format and a novel prospective meta-analysis approach. Induced exposure methods were adopted to control for any extraneous effects.

The findings showed a 38 percent overall reduction in real-world, rear-end crashes for vehicles fitted with low speed AEB compared to a sample of equivalent vehicles with no AEB. There was no statistical difference found between urban (≤60km/h) and rural (>60km/h) speed zones.

Dr Anders Lie, the group chairman from the Swedish Transport Administration, commented: "The meta-analysis approach used in this analysis is a unique academic contribution to the evaluation of vehicle safety technologies internationally and proved to be reliable with robust findings. Clearly, at this level of effectiveness, low speed AEB is potentially an important active safety technology and widespread fitment through the vehicle fleet should be encouraged in the interest of improved vehicle safety."

Dr Michiel van Ratingen, Secretary General of Euro NCAP, said: "These findings strongly support our decision to make AEB technology a key discriminator in the safety rating of new vehicles. Through VVSMA, we will continue to monitor the effectiveness in reducing real world crashes of the advanced systems that are promoted in order to validate and improve the overall star rating."

So, we can drive around in our XEs with the knowledge that we have a system on board keeping 'an eye out' for our safety. Although of course we also know that we are totally responsible for our and our car's actions.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is a similar system fitted to my Kuga 2 but in 2 years it's not activated. The Ford manual states the system operates "deliberately very late", so I've never plucked up the courage to test it! I think it uses the same camera as the traffic sign recognition / lane keeping so I hope it's better at sensing vehicles than signs or lanes!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I haven't driven a car with such a system myself, but I've heard of Golf GTI drivers having been embarrassed (and shocked) by their systems being activated when in situations where there is traffic travelling in the same direction ,in lanes parallel to theirs ,when the road is curving such as on, say, the approach to a roundabout. I can see the logic of that, as vehicles will suddenly appear in close proximity within the target area of the camera.
That might be peculiar to the VAG system, but it's reassuring to know that the Jaguar system can be disabled.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Blackbirds (and a few other birds) have a habit of swooping low across the path of cars. I think they do it to shake their feathers of dust or parasites in the blast of slipstream turbulence, or perhaps just for the fun of it. They are only in front of the car for a fraction of a second but, presumably that would arm the AEB - hopefully though, the detection time will be too short to trigger actual braking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unlike the Golf which was/is radar based I think, the XE uses two cameras (3D imaging) and image processing to determine whether vehicles directly in front are too close. It is programmed to look for vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians (Bosch website is not too clear on if the latter applies to the XE), and ignore other things and vehicles in other lanes.

A similar system is fitted to Discovery Sport and Evoque and as posted by XEDave the other day there is a significant amount of concern that the AEB does not work, based on user tests with a blow up crocodile ( :-O ) and a large cardboard box!!

XEDave's post is here (http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=621&p=2591&hilit=AEB#p2591) but put aside a few hours if you want to read the whole thread on the Disco site! However, the latest posts suggest it does work as a few user have reported it activating (page 30)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I remember seeing a Topgear episode (cannot remember actual car model but it was a middle or road affair). Auto brake kicked in for hedge at front of car park space but didn't stop when he drove at James May although perhaps he turned it off for that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
:)) Topgear on the BBC, those were the days!

G

·
Mine kicked in in a recent collision (see 'first accident' post). Took me a few hours to work out what had happened. Feels very odd, but I think it avoided a much worse outcome.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Had the system on my Volvo S60. Had it activate a couple of times when parking near a hedge which moved in the wind. Stopped the car dead.

·
Registered
118 Posts
System came into action today, got distracted during rush hour; while looking on the side the car in front of me stopped, had the alarm sound on and the big red triangle in the dashboard. I didn't realize if brake applied because I immediately reacted braking on my own.
Nice to have such system

·
Registered
428 Posts
You tube the video of the press launch for the Volvo "city protect" system or whatever it was. Video of the launch of such an event and the car mows down a mannequin in front of the assembled press!

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the recent inclement weather and my XE parked outside overnight, it took me a good few minutes to de-icevtge car.
However, not long after setting off on my journey I received a notice in the dash to the effect that my AEB was not operational because the camera was obscured.
It was not, and never has been obscured, so was this as a result of the de-icer on the windscreen, or some ice still on the screen. I could not see any.
This morning, not as cold, I set the car running via my IPhone In Control App, and ten minutes later I set off on my journey, not using any due-iced this time and with the windscreen clear. It was 07.45hrs so still cold, and the AEB warning message came up again, twice.
En route home this afternoon, no warning message.
The connecting factor appears to be ice cold weather

·
Registered
166 Posts
Anyone know if this is fitted to the MY17 xe in the States? Thanks.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,570 Posts
GazzaPops said:
In the recent inclement weather and my XE parked outside overnight, it took me a good few minutes to de-icevtge car.
However, not long after setting off on my journey I received a notice in the dash to the effect that my AEB was not operational because the camera was obscured.
It was not, and never has been obscured, so was this as a result of the de-icer on the windscreen, or some ice still on the screen. I could not see any.
This morning, not as cold, I set the car running via my IPhone In Control App, and ten minutes later I set off on my journey, not using any due-iced this time and with the windscreen clear. It was 07.45hrs so still cold, and the AEB warning message came up again, twice.
En route home this afternoon, no warning message.
The connecting factor appears to be ice cold weather
One thing many have found is that despite the windscreen being clear any internal misting can get behind the plastic cover behind the mirror.
The main screen may look clear on the inside but it can take quite a while for any "fog" to clear in front of the cameras behind the cover.
It is quite a common thing in colder weather.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Had it once when leaving a slip way onto a busy road, I was monitoring the gap that I was merging into and didn't notice that the car ahead had started braking.

Scared the **** out of me but did the job!

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,570 Posts
Byrus said:
Anyone know if this is fitted to the MY17 xe in the States? Thanks.
Just had a look at the US configurator and it's not shown as standard equipment on any XE whereas in the UK it's standard across the range.
It might be something to do with US rules and regulations but your dealer should know for sure.

Another thing is that on mine in the menu on the instrument panel if I go into it there's an option to tunr off the AEB under "driver assistance" so I know I have it.
Your menu might be different but have a look through.
If you don't have that option then you don't have AEB.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.