Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People,

Being from Holland, I'm cheap. ;-)
I was thinking of saving some bucks on ordering a non metallic black car in stead of a metallic one. What are your thoughts on this? Dealer says the non metallic one scratches more easily, but isn't that something from the past? When paint jobs were worse?
thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
As a fellow-Dutchmen I can understand this reasoning ;-). I ordered my current Lexus in all black (to be honest; the real reason was that they only had black in non-metallic at the time) and after 4 years I never notice that it does not have metallic particles in the paint. So I'd say go for it

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Paint will scratch and if you wash carelessly you will inflict swirl marks.
Non metallic can look good if looked after.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm getting ultimate black and rather wish I'd ordered Celestial Black having seen them both. The Ebony is fine tho so no need to pay extra unless you really want to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take good care of my car so guess I'll take the risk. It's either that or ordering metallic and not order the Meridian speakers...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would definitely go for the meridian if that's the case.
You say you look after your paintwork...well you would be able to get the black nice and glossy with a decent wash regime and wax,it just won't pop like a metallic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True. And I still have a month to change the cars specs. I'll stop by every dealership I see to spot colours. To see if metallic is worth the extra 995€...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a similar conundrum..and I went for Solid/Ebony. I've had both on my previous car (1 series F20) - the first was solid black, and the current is metallic.

They both scratch just as easily, they both look great when clean, they both scream "clean me" when dirty...

The only difference in reality is the sparkle and the shade of black. I would take Meridian every time (and I did :) ) If you have the money, metallic is great and it does add to the sparkle, but if on a budget there are better options for your money on the XE imo. Remember that metallic paint is what others see - whereas adding Meridian or for example cooled seats, you are making your life easier from the inside, where you'll be spending most of your time with the car :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went for the Ebony. Ordered was placed today. Delivery Oct 28.
Are we there yet?

·
Registered
120 Posts
JagRsport said:
I went for the Ebony. Ordered was placed today. Delivery Oct 28.
Are we there yet?
Congrats :) I know the feeling. Luckily this forum is a great support group, and there is always at least 1 new post every few hours to keep you going!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Your spot on spud...I live for the email updates... :D

It's the silence once the order has been placed.. :((

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, no real difference in terms of durability, solid or metallic paint both scratch. I have had both over the years. It all comes back to how well you maintain, clean and protect the paintwork.

Metallics do look great in most colours, but solids on black and white also can look great.

I was going for the glacier white originally, but having seen Polaris white on both F types and XFs I really liked it and actually preferred it as looked more of a true pure white.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I prefer solid black when clean and waxed (usually a truer dark black)...but it is more effort and doesn't shimmer like metallic paint. I haven't seen an ebony XE yet though. In fact I haven't even seen a decent image or video of an XE in ebony...no matter how many times I google it!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Isn't Denise's XE ebony? There are pics hereabouts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks but I believe that one is Ultimate Black. There's been a Prestige on here which looks smart, but no R-sport (with black window surrounds) that I've seen.

Mine is due (still not holding my breath) on 12th August so I may get my own before I see a pic. My PC will be relieved when it doesn't have to load up the Configurator every day!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! Looks great! Denise's comes closest, since she has the same wheels and R sport. I've asked her for more pics. :)
Thanks for your support! I need it during the wait haha!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts