Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New forum member here without a vehicle at the moment. I'm wondering what people's experience is like of ordering a used XE through the used.jaguar.com site. I'm looking to get an XE S and given there don't seem to be that many of them around, getting halfway across the country on trains and buses seems like a major headache. I would never contemplate buying unseen from a private seller or even an independent dealer (unless I knew them, and my knowledge on that front is zero, having been out of car ownership for a while.)

My thoughts are that with the 160-odd checks, 1 year warranty and 30 day return period it feels like a better option than spending hundreds of quid and tens of hours tracking across county...

Anyone done it and how did they find it?

Cheers, and here's to being an owner soon!

Dom

·
Registered
329 Posts
It seems to be a common trend now to buy unseen with Cazoo, Heycar etc. and with their return policies the risk seems very much diminished. With Jaguar or anyone else I would check the terms of the return policy to make sure your happy. Some dealers may possibly bring the car to you for viewing. I suppose it depends on what you are willing to accept in terms of minor scratches or blemishes on the car. Used cars are just that used.
I personally would always view a car but that is just me. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way it’s just personal choice.
Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Aviator

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought my XE unseen at the beginning of the first lockdown. It has become normal now. The dealer (Jardine, Tonbridge) did a nice video walkround and the pickup process (and ceremonial unveiling to music) was actually very impressive.
Times have changed, IMHO.

Reactions: Hillmangt

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
529 Posts
I did too come to think of it as mine was in Wakefield and I live in north wales - it was brand new though so a bit different than used.

that was Hatfield they sent videos and answered all my questions throughly and quickly.

although they haven’t sent me the tin of paint I was promised 4/5 weeks ago :(

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’ve bought a couple unseen but always collect from the dealership and reject if I’m not impressed. Yes I travel and have had a few wasted journeys but I much prefer this option rather than the car being delivered to my home address where I’ve no face to face contact with the guy that sold it me. Just my experience but I don’t believe all the nonsense about 160 point checks and complete service histories etc as the dealerships prep is no different (maybe worse) compared with a local independent garage. The cars receive the basic checks and are rolled on to the forecourts as they arrived or maybe tarted up with little spent. You do get the approved 12 warranty though. Good luck there’s plenty of good examples out there and some absolute lemons too! Check the service history very thoroughly as I’ve had salespeople suggest it’s FJSH when it hasn’t, sometimes not intentional it’s just that I new more about the car than they did!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I bought mine in January 2021 as approved used without seeing, was full lockdown, even if I wanted was unable to travel due restrictions. Dealer made a walk around video, answer all questions and delivered to my address. Didn't had any major problems with car so far(brake disks was rusted and replaced myself, recently a door latch fail, also replaced myself very cheap). You can reject the car in first 30 days if not happy. When receive the car, if you go on this route, check it properly(maybe you can pay a garage to take a look etc) and drive as much as you can in first 30 days.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I saw my 30T on the Jaguar approved website for sale at Marshalls Newbury. When I agreed terms, it turned out they didn't have the car on site. it was a Jaguar fleet car and I agreed to pay a deposit, returnable in full if I didn't like it.They had it delived within a few days and it was given a full service. When I went to collect it I checked the service history, gave it a good visual and a road test and was quite happy. Paid the balance and drove it home. I did think it was a bit stingy though that they hadn't filled the tank as I had to stop for petrol within 40 miles.

Apart from a few minor warranty niggles, new battery sorted by Jaguar assist, dipped beam warning light coming on and voice control not working, both fixed by a software update at the local dealer, it has been absoluterly fine. You can of course reject it if you're not happy within 30 days and you have the full Jaguar cover and not some dodgy warranty from somewhere else. Also you can have 7 days free Jaguar insurance if you want it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Jaguar dealers have become very stingey. When purchasing my car they would not budge on the price, although I was paying cash. They promised to pick me up from the train station but I ended up taking an Uber, and the car only had 1/4 tank of petrol.
A couple of minor niggles in the first 2 months, all sorted under warranty, but a lovely car to drive. The supercharger whine is addictive. The best car I've owned so far ,and beats my previous 330i & IS250 hands down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only caveat to buying unseen even if it is all perfect, is "have you previously driven, and liked, the XE as a car".
Very fair point.

But I must say I have not once seen anyone comment, anywhere, that they tried an XE (especially a sporty setup one) and the way it drove was all a bit, you know, crap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Very fair point.

But I must say I have not once seen anyone comment, anywhere, that they tried an XE (especially a sporty setup one) and the way it drove was all a bit, you know, crap.
When I test drove my XE Portfolio, one of my "tests" was the ride quality, because at that time I owned a 2007 XJ6 Sovereign, and I wanted to make sure the XE didn't have a bone-jarring ride with its 19" wheels and low-profile tyres. So I took the car over the local roughest road I knew, (and still not repaired 3 years later), and it passed the test ! Subsequently going through the list of fitments, I found that it was fitted with "Comfort" suspension. Modern cars and this mania with Sport, Sport, Sport, on any moderately powerful car, means ridiculously low-profile tyres are fitted. Unless great care is taken by the designers and testers, this gives a very harsh ride. Of course many young drivers seem never to have experienced comfort in a car. I once owned an XJ6 Series 3 and the ride on that was like a magic carpet, yet the performance was more than adequate. Why buy a car that can lap Silverstone at high speed on its billiard table track, when one is never going to drive on a racetrack ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very true. I take your point. The OP is shopping for an XE-S however. That implies a certain set of priorities..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the insight. I did indeed get the video walk-around thing this weekend, but then wussed out of buying it online and unseen in the metal and decided to go and see it for myself! 2.5 hours each way on the train wasn't so bad... Took the car for a spin. It's been a couple of years since I last test drove one... I am now the owner of an XE-S! \o/

Cheers all!

·
Registered
137 Posts
nice one, you won't be disappointed(y)

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
529 Posts
I cannot get a link to the website you quote. The cynic in me wonders, sorry. I do hope that everything is fine and you enjoy driving it.
I think the horse ran past you on your way in Fighterpilot 🤭😂

1 - 20 of 26 Posts