Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody already has experience with chiptuning an XE?
I am considering using RICA chiptuning for my car (2.0d 163 coming in October). My reason is that the testdrive impressed me but the acceleration didn't. I cam from a BMW 320 (184bhp) and 2 Volvo's C30T5 (235bhp) before that. So everytime I get a new car; it's slower!

Not known yet how chiptuning will improve, but their site http://rica.nl/chiptuning.php mentions an upgrade for the 2.2d XF with 65bhp and 97Nm extra. It even gets an improved fuel economy...

Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I feel your pain

I'm going from 272bhp to 180 bhp.

I'm hoping the rest of the car makes up for the loss although keeping my own car for the odd blast as unable to do anything to my xe as it's a company car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is too. But when it keeps its warranty and I pick up the bill I guess my boss is okay with it... I think..

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Best check with the insurance company as an undeclared modification will render it null and void...trust me you don't wana go there :ymsick:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insurance in Holland does not seem to care. The company where the license is registered (i'm sure there an English name for that) might care. I 've read that you need to alter your license registration when performance increases by more than 20%... The have to test the car and approve it for Dutch roads again. Costs are €55 so that is okay... Only thing I'm afraid of is the CO2 pollution. When that increases the tax rate rises here in Holland...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I don't have any experience with this yet, but I was considering an engine re-mapping on my Volvo (which I finally didn't do) and I'm still considering either a re-mapping or a chip-tuning on my next car (which will probably be an XE or XF).

There surely are pros and cons to chip-tuning VS engine re-mapping.

I found this while searching Google: http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/jaguar/xe/20_i4_161_bhp__163_ps__120_kw/jaguar_xe_20_i4_161_bhp_163_ps_120_kw_crtd2_twin_channel_diesel_tuning_box_chip_P10173.html

They say it's safe and increases power (163 to 215PS), torque (380 to 464Nm) and fuel efficiency (by 4-6 MPG). I didn't search for any customer satisfaction survey about this company yet, though. I'd be interested to have returns about it if anyone here knows them and already tried this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dealer told me that chiptuning will be available in 1 or 2 months. They can do it for you so no voiding warranty or lease contracts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah dank Roderick! Which dealer? And did he mention prices?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah. That's literally 2 mins from my office but not the one I ordered from. Thanks for the info. Will contact them for further info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
JagRsport said:
Ah. That's literally 2 mins from my office but not the one I ordered from. Thanks for the info. Will contact them for further info.
You're welcome. Tell 'em to give me some extra discount on my order for referring you ;-) :))

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think they won't be happy since I ordered my car somewhere else. (their offer was not very good, let me know if you need a better offer ;-))

·
Registered
125 Posts
Trust me for some one who's had these "chip" boxes don't ever EVER buy one. Always get a proper remap on a dyno with an experienced tuner. Those boxes just over fuel and can easily blow a nice hole in your engine. And the figures they give couldn't be further from the truth. I had a £120 chip Box on a Ford focus 2013 2.0 163bhp and it said it should take it to 190bhp with 400nm (340nm standard). So I had it dyno'd and it produced 166bhp.....
If it's to good to be true.... Well you know the rest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a call with my dealer. They chip it themselves and never had issues. only thing is that very officially; factory warranty does no longer apply on the engine. But again; they never had issues and sell it themselves. The chip for the new diesels is now "under construction". Also; hey told me that when I use the same company as they do; they (official Jag dealer) can not see it has been tuned. So even when the engine breaks down; no-one would know it has been tuned!
So that does it. I will immediately tune it before delivery in november.
Not know yet what it does in performance, but the "old" 2.2 diesel in the XF went from 163 to 228bhp and the torque grew from 400 to 497Nm. Big big difference for €700,-

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rich 91 said:
Trust me for some one who's had these "chip" boxes don't ever EVER buy one. Always get a proper remap on a dyno with an experienced tuner. Those boxes just over fuel and can easily blow a nice hole in your engine. And the figures they give couldn't be further from the truth. I had a £120 chip Box on a Ford focus 2013 2.0 163bhp and it said it should take it to 190bhp with 400nm (340nm standard). So I had it dyno'd and it produced 166bhp.....
If it's to good to be true.... Well you know the rest.
ah yes but it don't say what your engine was pulling pre-tuning box. It could have been 136bhp pre modding and give you the 27bhp incr are to 166bhp you were getting!!

But yes agree tuning boxes are not good and should be avoided.

·
Registered
198 Posts
On a new car I wouldnt want to take the risk. If you want more power go for another spec or car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts