Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not sure if they are all the same but if I am sat waiting in the car with the ignition off after about 10 minutes the steering lock activates. When I first had the car I wondered what the noise was untill I realised it was the steering lock. As soon as I start the car there is a sort of electrical buzz as the steering lock disengages.

Regards John

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Agreed, car automatically locks as well... as I've discovered when swmbo glares at me cos she can't open her door!

• Haha
Reactions: bik3rz

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if they are all the same but if I am sat waiting in the car with the ignition off after about 10 minutes the steering lock activates. When I first had the car I wondered what the noise was untill I realised it was the steering lock. As soon as I start the car there is a sort of electrical buzz as the steering lock disengages.

Regards John
I tried this but nothing happens.Looks like I have an issue.

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
If the car is unlocked so is the steering. The fob can be in the house and can be active upto 15 metres. Outside I can unlock my car at a much bigger distance. Get the warning on your phone about it being unlocked for 15 minutes. You could try locking the car with you in it and see if that locks the steering but I doubt it with the key present as it most likely will not lock the car. I found that out on holiday once. I loaded all baggage and my wife's handbag in the boot with the spare key fob. It would not shut let alone lock. Once I took the bag out for security it locked as normal.

·
Registered
818 Posts
This is one of those odd things where you can't easily check the steering locks because it only does so when the car is locked and there is no key near it. I suppose you could get your partner or a friend to double lock you in the car and then walk away with the key to a substantial distance. Then see if the steering locks after 10 mins of so. Just hope your friend or partner remembers to come back and let you out because, if the car is double locked, the interior door handles are locked also!

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,618 Posts
As far as I recall, if you sat in the car with the engine off and wiggled the wheel you would feel it lock up.
As soon as you switched on the ignition it would unlock.

·
Registered
507 Posts
lusor,
"Steering Wheel Lock" is a feature that has to be built into your vehicle. Go to your Build Sheet. My MY19 XE does NOT have this feature as noted on my Build Sheet as indicated by "049ZZ LESS Steering Column Lock"

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lusor,
"Steering Wheel Lock" is a feature that has to be built into your vehicle. Go to your Build Sheet. My MY19 XE does NOT have this feature as noted on my Build Sheet as indicated by "049ZZ LESS Steering Column Lock"
I thought this was standard in all cars until now.No steering wheel lock for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts