Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was meant to have my R-Sport Diesel 180 by now. Ordered in February through Lex, I was originally given an expected stock date of 15 June. At the start of May (6 weeks to stock date) I was advised that this shifted out about 3 weeks to 07 July due to volume of orders, at the end of May this date was brought back in by a week to 29 June. So far so good, mid-June would have been great but I guess it's reasonable to expect some delays with a new production line, unpredictable demand etc.. But then the fun starts ....

26 June (three days to stock date): date moves out by one day
29 June (one day to stock date): date moves out by one day
02 July (one day after stock date): date moves out by 5 days
06 July (stock day): date moves out by 3 days
At this point I contact H A Fox in Leeds who are the supplying dealership, the very helpful woman in charge of fleet & corporate explains that due to a decision to sell all fleet cars through a separate system, and a subsequent system error all their fleet XE orders are backing up and they've been unable to process any. But that they've now taken a decision to put them all through the standard system to clear the backlog and that my car is definitely going to be with them on Thursday (possibly Friday) and they'll be in touch to organise a delivery date. Plenty of apologies, assurances they they know what was causing the problem, they've addressed it and there will be no further issues.

09 July (stock date): date moves out by 8 days

In a word: shambolic.

I've also contacted Jaguar directly (in summary the response was "sod off and speak to your dealer, we don't speak to riff raff") and Lex who are doing what they can but it seems are also getting the run around from H A Fox. I am still looking forward to getting my XE, but as an introduction to Jaguar and to H A Fox it leaves a lot to be desired. It's pretty clear the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and no-one really cares about the customer.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Seems to be the same everywhere at the moment. No solid information and lots of promises with little follow through.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Being one of the fortunate ones who is now driving an XE, I can relate what the dealer who sold me mine said. As I travelled some distance to get the car, he picked me and my wife up from the railway station. One the way to the dealership, I made some pleasantry about being lucky with the weather, and he said "You're also lucky that the car was delivered!" I suggested that my impression from this forum was that the biggest problems are with petrol-engined cars, and he agreed with that. However, you are clearly having problems with delivery of a diesel.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can understand your annoyance. I hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

I am just about to order an XES and so far I have been quoted end of September, January and now February, all by 3 different dealers so I have no idea when I could expect delivery, I am guessing that dealer no 1 is way out in his estimation but I am not sure if I can prepare myself to wait the likely 9 months and then risk being told I have to wait even longer!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd hope that some of these problems will sort themselves out in time but I would agree that September seems very optimistic.

What is leaving a bit of a bad taste, and if it's true might make you think twice about buying an XE at all, is the feint feeling that to Jaguar there are 'real' Jaguar customers, and there are 'its only an XE' Jaguar customers (and even less worthy 'it's only a fleet XE' customers). I very much doubt that if I was putting my own money down for, say, an XJ or an X Type that I'd be messed about like this by Jaguar or by H A Fox. I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I get the impression that as I'm only a company car XE customer no-one really gives a toss, like it's all a bit beneath them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your original post is really interesting. I'm in the same boat as you, company car ordered through Leasedrive via HA Fox. I work closely with Leasedrive in my job so had many conversations with them and HA Fox about delivery times. I was quoted 6 months originally, which came down to 5 after much discussion but since ordering early June delivery has moved from mid oct to early Nov. I really didn't want a brand new rear drive car in winter

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes you would hope so and I am under no illusion that September isn't realistic. Funnily enough, I rang dealer no4 today to speak to a salesperson and when asked what car it was concerning I said an XES and after a minute of waiting I was told that all the sales staff were too busy to speak to me....

So I feel as if you've hit the nail on the head by suggesting they think it's only an XE, it's totally unacceptable if they do think that and that fleet customers are not important, so many salespeople have told me they make no real money on the sale of a car but rather it's the aftersales they make money and I'm pretty sure they still make money this way from fleet sales.
I feel very disappointed that I want to spend £56k on a car yet very few dealers actually want to help me, I do wonder if maybe they believe that they will have no problem selling the XE's so why make any effort.
I don't need a new car, rather I want a new car and I would like an XES but if I don't have 1 it won't be the end of the world and Jaguar are not the only company that makes cars I could/would want to buy.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
This is my first new car from any manufacturer and I'm seriously wondering why I'm bothering when I could wait three to six months and buy a demonstrator with no delay. It might take me a while to find one that I like but this process of terrible pre-sales service doesn't bode well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
To be fair HaloJones, I don't know of many mainstream manufacturers who build and deliver cars much quicker than 2-3 months. Being brand new the XE was always going to have a longer lead time. I was quoted 5 months for a c class merc too and they've been out a while now. What's worrying is the inconsistent and often contradictory messaging from the dealers on delivery times.

·
Registered
664 Posts
LeeW said:
Your original post is really interesting. I'm in the same boat as you, company car ordered through Leasedrive via HA Fox. I work closely with Leasedrive in my job so had many conversations with them and HA Fox about delivery times. I was quoted 6 months originally, which came down to 5 after much discussion but since ordering early June delivery has moved from mid oct to early Nov. I really didn't want a brand new rear drive car in winter
that's interesting, my company also deals with LeaseDrive, my order seems to have gone to Jardine Motors (Lancaster Jag, in Reading I believe)
I think LeaseDrive will change who they go to depending on where they can get the best deal when the process your order. Initially I was told they deal with Pendragon (Stratsone Derby and Nottingham which are local to me) but that has not been the case. I also have an early November delivery date that was initially late October.

·
Registered
597 Posts
HaloJones said:
This is my first new car from any manufacturer and I'm seriously wondering why I'm bothering when I could wait three to six months and buy a demonstrator with no delay. It might take me a while to find one that I like but this process of terrible pre-sales service doesn't bode well.
I have thought something similar today, if I have to wait 9 months I could quite easily buy a demo XES, 1 of the dealers have said that I can buy theirs shortly and save quite a substantial amount of money as the £10k of extras won't be available. The downside is that I would have to have a colour and interior that I wouldn't have chosen.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's the problem with ex demo. You get no choice on colour or spec, it has had hundreds of people in it putting hard miles on the clock on test drives. Not sure you can get the popular pcp deals on them either as they're not new? Each to their own though, I can see the temptation to avoid a 6 month wait.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes it does put me off and the 1 demo car I've driven so far was very untidy inside, I'm surprised they don't keep them clean, I will admit, I did put a few hard miles on the 1 I drove :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
You won't be the only one! I pre booked a test in a c class before I ordered the XE. It was a salesmans car and it had empty sweet packets, a McDonald's drink, dust you could write in, scratches everywhere and a pair of socks in the back. It genuinely put me off as my first impression of the merc was how tatty it looked.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
LeeW said:
To be fair HaloJones, I don't know of many mainstream manufacturers who build and deliver cars much quicker than 2-3 months. Being brand new the XE was always going to have a longer lead time. I was quoted 5 months for a c class merc too and they've been out a while now. What's worrying is the inconsistent and often contradictory messaging from the dealers on delivery times.
I wouldn't mind the wait if it was well communicated. It is precisely this absence of communication from the factory to the dealers to the customers with consisted messages that are then delivered on. Give me a date, update me if it changes *including the reason why* and give me a new date. One slip if well-explained and communicated is going to be understood. Multiple slips without reason undermine customer confidence and lead to sites like this being viewed by potential customers who then choose to go elsewhere.

negative publicity on social media can be very damaging and it would be a tragedy if a great car was damaged because of useless communications through the buying process.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I completely agree with you Halojones. It seems the XE experience is being soured for many before they even get the car. Puts more pressure on the car being brilliant to help pacify the hassle and disappointment of the order process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DMT66 said:
.. they make no real money on the sale of a car but rather it's the aftersales they make money and I'm pretty sure they still make money this way from fleet sales.
As I don't live any where near the supplying dealer I won't be going back there for aftersales anyway but H A Fox knew the deal when the signed up for it, and I get the impression they've gone after the fleet XE business pretty hard. Regardless of how low the margin is, and the fact that once Lex have placed the order there's very little the punter can do about it however poor the service is, I'd still expect a better experience and more professionalism from them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It does seem then that once they have the order signed off they lose all interest and I guess for them it's just another car sold, whether there is a lot of profit or not involved.
I know this isn't the same but I have a distribution company and with the problems at Calais and the Channel Tunnel my customers have been told that their credit terms won't start until the orders have been delivered as we feel that although the delays are beyond our control we appreciate how hard managing cashflow can be so we will try and help in this instance. We are also tracking orders each day and informing customers of the delay, even though this is something they can all do themselves. In my mind it gives a far better impression if we stay in communication with them and make them feel as if they are our most important customer.

As others have said, the negative publicity could harm the cars sales longterm.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought mine through autoebid. The best offer came from P V Dobson in Cumbria. I live in Berkshire.

Because the deal was through autoebid I dealt with their fleet rather than retail salesman.

At all times I was given accurate information. When things were uncertain I was told so.

I had a bit of trouble getting into inControl remote. This was resolved speedily. The limiting factor on how quickly it was resolved was my being near an Internet connection myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
(Not so) Angry Dad said:
I was meant to have my R-Sport Diesel 180 by now. Ordered in February through Lex, I was originally given an expected stock date of 15 June. At the start of May (6 weeks to stock date) I was advised that this shifted out about 3 weeks to 07 July due to volume of orders, at the end of May this date was brought back in by a week to 29 June. So far so good, mid-June would have been great but I guess it's reasonable to expect some delays with a new production line, unpredictable demand etc.. But then the fun starts ....

26 June (three days to stock date): date moves out by one day
29 June (one day to stock date): date moves out by one day
02 July (one day after stock date): date moves out by 5 days
06 July (stock day): date moves out by 3 days
At this point I contact H A Fox in Leeds who are the supplying dealership, the very helpful woman in charge of fleet & corporate explains that due to a decision to sell all fleet cars through a separate system, and a subsequent system error all their fleet XE orders are backing up and they've been unable to process any. But that they've now taken a decision to put them all through the standard system to clear the backlog and that my car is definitely going to be with them on Thursday (possibly Friday) and they'll be in touch to organise a delivery date. Plenty of apologies, assurances they they know what was causing the problem, they've addressed it and there will be no further issues.

09 July (stock date): date moves out by 8 days

In a word: shambolic.

I've also contacted Jaguar directly (in summary the response was "sod off and speak to your dealer, we don't speak to riff raff") and Lex who are doing what they can but it seems are also getting the run around from H A Fox. I am still looking forward to getting my XE, but as an introduction to Jaguar and to H A Fox it leaves a lot to be desired. It's pretty clear the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and no-one really cares about the customer.
I can vouch for this word for word as would you be leave mine is through lex leasing and and its also through H A Fox in Leeds i have had the same cock and bull

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.