Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just brought my first modern Jag home, MY17 XE 20D Prestige, and I am confused to say the least. I was convinced after my research that Android Auto should be working, as it's got the big screen and it was running 20b (now 21b software after an OTA update). I definitely have Android Auto working on the phone (works in other vehicles) and the USB cable is working for the phone into a computer, and I've confirmed the phone is in the correct USB mode. Now as I dig into the specifics, I'm confused about what exactly all the options were. I have the 10 inch screen, real speedo with 5 inch screen in the middle, meridian sound, and in the centre console I have a 12V socket and two USB ports but no SD, HDMI, or SIM. Many websites state that ICT Pro came with the digital dash, and most images/videos I've found outlining how to use ICT Pro show at least an SD slot in the centre console. Oh, and to add to my confusion I installed the Jaguar app and can't even get that to come up. There's no option for InControll Apps, Android Auto, or CarPlay on any of the screens. Can anyone shed some light? Is the "Smartphone Pack" I keep reading about something that may be missed in the previous updates?

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
Welcome. Perhaps you can ask a JLR dealer. The updates for this arrived after 2018, as I recall, through dealer software installation.
My MY18 car had the smaller 8" screen and I had to add a 3rd party box to enable Android Auto. Yours may be easier as you have the bigger screen. But you clearly lack the software..

·
Registered
2018 XE-S, Carpathian Grey, all the good fruit
98 Posts
How did you do an OTA (Over The Air) update without a SIM slot? Or did you take it to a Jag dealer?

I just went through all this.. There are three (or more?) levels of User Interface Panel (UIP), the one with two USB and a cig 12v socket is the "low UIP" which does not support the smartphone pack. If you have the wiring, you can have a higher UIP retrofitted by Old Jaguar who have a few guys around the country... Cam in Sydney just did mine and activated the smartphone pack, works like a bought one.

I have an Aawireless dongle on the way to turn my AA from cable to wireless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! What a great intro to the forum, thank you so much for the prompt replies.

@PaulTolga I'll be calling them today, but it seems my UIP may be the issue...

@dangoesfast this makes a lot of sense! I did the update with a wifi hotspot from my phone (I've set up an automation on my phone to activate the hotspot when it connects to the car Bluetooth). How much did it cost you for the upgrade? And the wireless dongle? I'm going to have to do both I think 😅

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow! What a great intro to the forum, thank you so much for the prompt replies.

@PaulTolga I'll be calling them today, but it seems my UIP may be the issue...

@dangoesfast this makes a lot of sense! I did the update with a wifi hotspot from my phone (I've set up an automation on my phone to activate the hotspot when it connects to the car Bluetooth). How much did it cost you for the upgrade? And the wireless dongle? I'm going to have to do both I think 😅
Before you take my advice too much, note I'm a new Jag owner (bought an XE-S about six weeks ago) so I'm not an expert... but I've just been through the same thing as you. My car came with the "low-UIP" which I didn't realise was a thing until after I bought it 🤦 I really wanted the WiFi hotspot (where the car has a data SIM and creates its own WiFi hotspot) and the ability to stream direct to the ICT unit, but it seems the telematics system is very difficult to retrofit and AA gives you the same sort of functionality in the audio system just through a different way (minus the car becoming a WiFi hotspot).

The smartphone pack retrofit and activation is about $1200 in parts and labour. Cam is in Sydney (Seven Hills) but the Old Jag website shows guys in QLD, SA, etc.

If you contact the dealer who sold the car they can print you the "build sheet" which gives you tons of info about what your car does and doesn't have. Cam will be able to give you that too, and even in a bit more detail than jag

·
Registered
98 Posts
Incredible! Thank you, I'll dig into the books to find the dealer!
Have fun! If you see "mid-UIP" or "high-UIP" then you don't need the module, just a software tweak to get it to work.

Did you follow an online guide for the update you did? If so can you post a link? According to jag and a couple of independent sources my car can't be updated apart from at the dealer, so the fact you were able to do your own update might mean you have a higher model unit?

Again I'm no expert, just curious

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So from what I've learnt OTA updates came with 19b but I can only quote posts as I bought mine with 20b. I've got a quote for UIP, harness and programming 😏

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is just UIP change and little bit of power wire tinkering + coding. I bet it is not 1200$ in any dollars.
1200$ with new 3rd party system when you have standard ICT with buttons.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a problem with mine but was fixed when moving from Huawei phone to Samsung.
Have you tried other phones?

ATT
DD

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bet it is not 1200$ in any dollars.
I'll take that bet, since I have a receipt.

@tp494 - I paid full price including tax/GST so I could write it off as a business expense. I'd talk to Old Jag about their prices rather than listen to what some random numbnut from the other side of the world thinks about prices in our currency.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As far as I know, the "Smartphone Pack" was the JLR OEM Factory Option required before Android Auto and Apple Carplay became a standard part of the XE Infotainment software package. I think later on it was included in one of the OTA software updates. My MY19 XE was built in October 2018, had the 10-inch screen, and the "Smartphone Pack" Option listed on my JLR OEM Window Sticker. My Infotainment unit has a SIM card slot with an AT&T SIM card installed, WiFi activated, and Bluetooth connectivity to my Android phone. Android Auto is a Widget on the third screen of installed JLR apps on the factory installed software for my Infotainment system ("025NE Touch Pro System" per my Build Sheet) and works with my Android Operating System (OS) Version 10 and 11 phones via Bluetooth without the need for any wires. My XE is currently loaded with the latest software version via OTA updating. As was previously mentioned, some Android phones and some Android OS versions have problems with wireless/Bluetooth interoperability with the JLR Infotainment system software (ex Huawei does not have the complete updated Android OS from Google due to a dispute between Huawei and Google and thus has connectivity issues. Similarly phones with Android OS 8.0/8.1 have known Bluetooth connection stability issues with multiple vehicle manufacturer infotainment systems and not just JLR. To find out more on either topic, do a keyword search in this XE Forum).

·
Registered
176 Posts
All the XE MY19 had the smartphone capability. Before that even with big screen in some configs you could not have aa/ac without retrofit https://www.ovalnews.com/tag/smartphone-pack

And I have had business with Cambo/old jag and have huge respect for them and continue to have business with them. Huge help with my retrofits. Not caring if someone is butthurt in my price comments.

·
Registered
98 Posts
All the XE MY19 had the smartphone capability. Before that even with big screen in some configs you could not have aa/ac without retrofit https://www.ovalnews.com/tag/smartphone-pack

And I have had business with Cambo/old jag and have huge respect for them and continue to have business with them. Huge help with my retrofits. Not caring if someone is butthurt in my price comments.
Wtf are you prattling on about?

No butthurt here numbnuts, I'm just calling out some troll who thinks he knows more about how much I paid for an upgrade to my car than I do.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Still looks like lot of butthurtness about price :D luckily not my money :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts