Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I
The xe is clearly one of the best driving cars in the D segment and its design and its looks are way ahead of anything the big 3 German manufacturers produce, but the big question is will it remove the old image of Jags being an old mans car? I have always loved jaguars and cant tell you long I have waited for jaguar to be able to compete with BM/ AUDI/ Merc. \but will the image take longer to change than the reality of what we see in the show room?

·
Registered
16 Posts
For me, I don't really care about this image. Its the first thing people say to me when I say I'm getting a Jag. I'm 27, but it doesn't bother me at all, its all about what I like and what I want to drive!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree with your comment Saj. Most people comment and have never sat in a XK surely one of the prettiest sports cars on the market ,and now the f type which is stunning. If the XE does anything hopefully it will open the eyes of the 20/30 somethings to the world of Jaguar

·
Registered
16 Posts
The XF has been what I call my "realistic dream car" (a car you can see yourself realistically driving ! lol) since the age it was released.

So to have the opportunity to drive a XE for three years, I couldn't pass by!

·
Registered
425 Posts
It really is each individual's perception. Take the Skoda, that had been a 'laughable' car by many for years but I think has mainly overcome it's reputation. I think also that Volvo has shaken off it's 'old man' image in the last few years. So I'm sure, if it had that image, Jaguar will, with the XE,
F-Type, XF and XJ rapidly break free and become a car for the young.

Whoops, perhaps I'd better cancel my order then !

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that Jaguar just have to go racing, not F1, thats irrelevant to everyday car buyers, but with F Type GT3s and XE'RS's and take on BMW, Audi and Mercedes at there own game. No non-German manufacturer has ever won the Nurberging 24hr race, so there is the first objective. The halo effect will be awesome. It won't be easy, or cheap, but nothing worth doing ever is!!! So what about it JLR??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
must say I am areal fan of the endurance race series and travel to lemans every year. i would love to see a Jag in the GT class or even LMP1 now that would be something

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was there when Jaguar won Le Mans in 1988 and 1990, it certainly was something and the V12 was just awesome!

·
Registered
202 Posts
.... but the big question is will it remove the old image of Jags being an old mans car?....

Oh, I really hope not.

Now, where did I leave those slippers?! 8-X :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
The age range the xe is apparently supposed to appeal to is 30-40 yrs i cant remember exactly how they put it but its for the young business executives.
When ive told people what car ive ordered they say and i quote " Isnt that an old mans car?" but then i show them the pictures :) this certainly isnt an old mans jaguar anymore although it does still appeal to the older gentlemen especially the prestige model, I am only 24 myself and when i first heard about this car it was only a prototype and i didnt even consider it for my next car until a friend who works at jaguar told me to keep an eye out and that it would be something i may like.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry chaps at 82 I'm certainly not going to help the image. Have you got a spare pair of slippers Pickle77 ???

·
Registered
63 Posts
68 year old here, with XE arriving (hopefully!) at end of June. I think a lot of my generation in retirement look for a comfortable and reasonably sporty medium-sized car, and would prefer, other things being equal, to buy British (or at least Anglo-Indian!) rather than German or Japanese. At last Jaguar have produced a real contender which appears, judging by the comments on this forum, to appeal to the younger generation too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmmm! A bit before my time, but I don't believe XK120 and E Types were considered as old mans cars, so this must be a post 1970's thing, probably when Jaguar produced XJ6s and XJSs which started ok but expensive (for the well off) and we're just not developed sufficient to keep up with the opposition, particularly the young upstart BMW, who used to produce........'bubble cars'. So yes, an image can be changed and with so many 'new world' markets I fully expect Jaguar to replicate Land Rovers success.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm going to be 40 by the time I take delivery. The car was a kind of happy 40th birthday to me. I realised recently that you will only ever own so many cars in your lifetime and life is too short. I tend to keep cars for around 5 years. It's great to hear though the mix of ages from 24-82. I think it says a lot that a car like this can be attractive to so many. I used to own an x type and despite its faults, it's what made me like jaguar.

Even before that I had a new company Rover 75 and I absolutely loved it. Yes I got the slippers and flat cap jokes but anyone who had a journey in it agreed it was a great car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
RichardS said:
Just found my ideal 'old mans car' and in 'Bluefire'!!
Oh I wish, Richard :YMPRAY: .
Like Petesheep, I'm in my late 60's so the E type was our teenage fantasy ; (well, one of them).
Congrats Brgxe, I think you win the slippers!
Regarding the re-branding of Jag cars, I certainly agree that they should become involved in racing again, and not in F1 as their last efforts there did them no favours at all.
Also, I think it would help a lot if the Police were to adopt the XE as a fast patrol car - Volvo benefited from that, as do BMW.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey guys, we're not helping the case with our remarks on here.

Come on aren't we all 21 ?

Pickle not so sure I like your idea of the police adopting the XE ! They'll be able to catch me !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts