Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Breakdown today on my 21 plate 11000 miles r dynamic black.belt shredded, any one else had this issue ?belt does say made in China on it 馃槵
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle White Hood Automotive lighting

Registered
Quite a few of these occurrences on the F-Pace forum with the D200, apparently something to do with start/stop and should be subject to recall in the near future.

Reactions: Buzby

Registered
Its well common, the disco sports and evoques do it too, have also seen new alternators and crank seals also needing replaced at the same time as the belt has taken out these items when they let go

Registered
Yep, same car MY21 Black edition with only 8000 miles on the clock. Car lost power quite close to home and had to be recovered. Car into the dealers where a new "Uprated belt & Tensioner" were fitted. A guy in works wife is fairly high up in JLR and he spoke to her about it. She was obviously disappointed with it all, but was at pains to say there has been a lot of work going on with JLR's suppliers recently and that the new spare parts should be of a far greater significant quality.

Buzby, as you've virtually the same car, do you also have any issue with the cars esim losing connection and having to resort to a power reset (Holding power button off for 15 secs) to get the connection to re-establish.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, same car MY21 Black edition with only 8000 miles on the clock. Car lost power quite close to home and had to be recovered. Car into the dealers where a new "Uprated belt & Tensioner" were fitted. A guy in works wife is fairly high up in JLR and he spoke to her about it. She was obviously disappointed with it all, but was at pains to say there has been a lot of work going on with JLR's suppliers recently and that the new spare parts should be of a far greater significant quality.

Buzby, as you've virtually the same car, do you also have any issue with the cars esim losing connection and having to resort to a power reset (Holding power button off for 15 secs) to get the connection to re-establish.
Yes I have to do hard reset now and again.
update on belt,got car back today with new belt and tensioner,also software update done for stop start ,to avoid strain on belt,fingers crossed.

Registered
Yes I have to do hard reset now and again.
update on belt,got car back today with new belt and tensioner,also software update done for stop start ,to avoid strain on belt,fingers crossed.
That鈥檚 interesting regarding the power reset. I believe there鈥檚 something fundamentally wrong with the XE鈥檚 connection with pivipro. I鈥檓 waiting to get mine back in to get sorted.

Registered
Jaguar XE P250 R Dynamic Black Edition- Bluefire Blue (MY21)
That鈥檚 interesting regarding the power reset. I believe there鈥檚 something fundamentally wrong with the XE鈥檚 connection with pivipro. I鈥檓 waiting to get mine back in to get sorted.
I took delivery of MY21 P250 XE Black edition on the 13th of September this year. I've had a number of problems with the PIVI Pro, the last occurred after an update in October when I was unable to load or access my driver profiles, After the next two updates, nothing changed. My dealer was able to resolve the issue after consulting with Jaguar Technical. They effectively had to strip down all the software and operating systems. Once they were reinstalled the PIVI Pro worked really well. The latest OS 3.0 update is really good particularly if you use Apple and Android play.

Registered
I'm puzzled why a broken serpentine belt apparently leads to a complete and immediate stop of the engine, and why in some cases the breakage reportedly damages the alternator and the crankshaft seals. AFAIK the belt drives the water pump, alternator and air conditioning compressor from the crankshaft pulley, but these three items would merely stop rotating, with no associated damage and shouldn't mean the engine stops immediately. Of course, without the water pump the engine will quickly overheat, so clearly recovery of the vehicle for repair is necessary. In previous cars I have driven, failure of this belt would at least allow you to drive to a safe parking spot while you waited for recovery. Am I missing something here?

Registered
Yes. I think the symptom was a loss of power which would be the missing boost from the MHEV system. Also if the start/stop kicked in you wouldn't be able to restart the engine.

It probably made a bit of a racket as the belt lunched itself so you wouldn't want to carry on.

Registered
Ah yes, apologies, I'd forgotten that this was on the MHEV version where the belt is used to provide boost and to restart the engine from a stop-start stop. This clearly will put much heavier loads onto the belt and it looks as though JLR failed to account fully for this when originally specifying the belt.

Registered
Chris, our P250 XEs are free from such complications 馃槉. That said, the updated belt should be up to the task. I hope so, anyway.

Registered
Jaguar have scored an own goal going with this MHEV system. ZF actually make an 8 speed auto with an electric motor built in! It's also capable of running on electric only! Whoever thought that using a rubber belt to boost power would be a good idea must be mad! 馃檮

Registered
The early failure of these MHEV rubber drive belts also suggests that Jaguar did not do sufficient testing of this system before approving it for fitment to production cars. Either that or some bean counter changed the belt supplier or quality as a cost saving move between testing and production.

Administrator
South Bucks
Can we please stop the hyperbole ?
I had an MHEV Evoque for two years and no problems.
It's a very good system and works very well.
It's not even been confirmed this is the MHEV system belt and not the standard alternator/waterpump drive belt that has gone ping which would cause a loss of power..
I can't recall any issues on The Evoque forum with the MHEV system.
Try and keep things in perspective.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can we please stop the hyperbole ?
I had an MHEV Evoque for two years and no problems.
It's a very good system and works very well.
It's not even been confirmed this is the MHEV system belt and not the standard alternator/waterpump drive belt that has gone ping which would cause a loss of power..
I can't recall any issues on The Evoque forum with the MHEV system.
Try and keep things in perspective.
Just to confirm,belt was the standard alternator/water pump belt.this was putting extra pressure on it by the stop start system which has now had software update to hopefully stop it re occurring .
Had a Land Rover disco sport as a loan car and Land Rover salesman said he had his belt also break on his car d200 evoque,this issue only affecting d200 Jag/!Land Rover engines.Apart from the breakdown I was looked after very well by Jaguar.

Registered
Isn't there only one belt? There isn't a traditional 12V alternator, it's a belt integrated starter generator on the MHEV variants.

Pretty sure that provides 48V power when you decelerate which recharges the 48V battery and through some electronics deals with the 12V systems?

Registered
They shred because of a software glitch, when doing an auto start stop cycle the alternator starts the car to make it seamless but from cold the starter motor is supposed to start the car but the glitch is that it uses the alternator to start the car and there is too much load on the belt and shreds it

Administrator
South Bucks
"Normal" starting (as in pressing the start button) uses the normal starter motor.
It shouldn't use the alternator.
You can clearly hear the starter motor.
In stop start when driving the engine start is using the belt from the MHEV system and is almost silent.
My beef is that prior to my last post the two previous posts started rubbishing the MHEV system when there was a clear lack of knowledge of what it actually is or does and there was a presumption that it was at fault.

Reactions: Buzby
1 - 20 of 27 Posts