Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seriously considering a Dash Cam and was a little disappointed that this was not an optional extra on the XE, especially given that there's already a front-facing camera recognising road signs - I would assume that this is a standard camera unit that could also be configured to record...

I did ask a Jaugar representative this at a recent open day and he just gave me a stock answer about privacy laws, even suggesting that it would be illegal for them to record people on them. If that were the case then every other dash cam would be illegal. I believe that some insurance companies are now stating that they will use dash cam footage as evidence in a claim.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this? In an ideal world I don't really want some bulky unit sitting aside my mirror just waiting for someone to break the window to try to steal it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
I agree, the current dash cams, even though they are getting smaller, are still noticeable. Trying to install one in the XE, next to the rear view mirror, that incidentally already has a camera behind it, wouldn't I feel produce a very neat job.

That aside, if a 'dash cam' is installed on the windscreen, positioning of same is very important as there are strict legal considerations regarding blocking a drivers vision. Sometimes I wonder if the police are contravening this law with all the 'gadgets' they have fitted to their windscreens.

Anyhow, I bet somebody 'out there' will modify the XE 360deg camera system to connect to a recording device. I think it's only going to be a matter of time before it happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Little bit of research and came up with this small two camera setup:

Techmoan has posted a lot of dash cam reviews but this appears to be the best two camera system to date (although other single camera systems are much cheaper - £35 or less):


Here are some sources:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331398006995?clk_rvr_id=843076772941&rmvSB=true

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KOONLUNG-K1S-2-CHANNEL-GPS-RECORDING/dp/B00TM59NCK

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FULL-HD-DUAL-Dash-Camera-GPS-HIDDEN-DRIVING-RECORDING-SYSTEM/32360246373.html

I can't vouch for any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have front and rear cams fitted to my XE R-SPORT, quite small and perfect for what I need.

Blackvue DR650GW HD

http://www.blackvue.eu/Blackvue_DR650GW.php

dont need any huge screens to view as it records on to sd card for viewing on pc in Blackvue software should you need too .....great thing it loops so just pop card in and leave, just take out as and when required. Picture quality is excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Forgot to mention has wireless built in so can be viewed in smartphone as live picture (while stationary of course) or can select previous events by downloading to phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I have also thought this. Seems silly when we already have a front facing camera in all XE's to put another. Surely someone would know how to tap in the feed and attach a recording device to it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
eg9arh said:
I went for mivue 658. Fantastic small unit. Great resolution, g force meter, WiFi, GPS so records location and speed.
Sits behind my rear view mirror so I can't see it at all. Ran the cable under the trim to the rear lighter socket, so it's virtually invisible.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-and-camcorders/camcorders/dash-cams/mio-mivue-658-dash-cam-black-10134544-pdt.html
How did you get it behind your rear view mirror with the chunky traffic sign camera module there? I'd love to do this so it can't be seen, but having trouble finding a olace
 
G

·
Rather than trawl all the dash cam posts, here is my story re fitting. Today I went into a Halfords store to buy a Nexbase 512 dash cam and book in to have it fitted. What a rigmorole!! First they couldn't log in. Then after around 20 mins they got in to offer me 3.30pm Wed. But the area to book it had a load of grey hashed area. Apparently this meant the fitter was off. So more fiddling to get me in on Friday and then they wanted email address and mobile number. I am already on their email list anyway. Then my name, so I gave my surname as I always do. This is a "Mc" name. Then what is my surname was the next question. I explained that that was my surname. OK we now have my name in the correct boxes. Then they want my mobile number, which I didn't have and rarely use so I couldn't give it. I offered my home number but "the computer says, NO" When questioned about this I was told that they would ring me when the job was done. No way was I leaving my car on some car park for all and sundry to either drive or bump into when they had finished. After 40 minutes I was so pissed off waiting about and getting nowhere I gave up and came away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Vespa said:
Rather than trawl all the dash cam posts, here is my story re fitting. Today I went into a Halfords store to buy a Nexbase 512 dash cam and book in to have it fitted. What a rigmorole!! First they couldn't log in. Then after around 20 mins they got in to offer me 3.30pm Wed. But the area to book it had a load of grey hashed area. Apparently this meant the fitter was off. So more fiddling to get me in on Friday and then they wanted email address and mobile number. I am already on their email list anyway. Then my name, so I gave my surname as I always do. This is a "Mc" name. Then what is my surname was the next question. I explained that that was my surname. OK we now have my name in the correct boxes. Then they want my mobile number, which I didn't have and rarely use so I couldn't give it. I offered my home number but "the computer says, NO" When questioned about this I was told that they would ring me when the job was done. No way was I leaving my car on some car park for all and sundry to either drive or bump into when they had finished. After 40 minutes I was so pissed off waiting about and getting nowhere I gave up and came away.
:lol:

I am considering a cam. Am yet to research, so any of recommendations of the latest cams would be nice. Looking for small, easy to fit and hide cables and looping sd card. And one that wont go off if stop/start decides to work, not sure of that effects it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Hi Billvega
Recently fitted a Nextbase 312 gw dash can in my 2015 Xe R Sport 180, took about 45 minutes as the hardest part was drilling a hole in the metal bracket in the passenger footwell fuse box, this was to earth it. Used a Nextbase hardwire kit with piggy back fuse, connected to the heated steering wheel fuse in the passenger footwell fuse box. As soon as the ignition is activated it switches on and then it switches off 30 seconds after you turn off the engine. Seems to be working well as it has WiFi and GPS. I mounted it just to the left of the interior mirror out of sight from myself. Total cost was approx £105. Hope this helps/
Regards
foxy66 :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
foxy66 said:
Hi Billvega
Recently fitted a Nextbase 312 gw dash can in my 2015 Xe R Sport 180, took about 45 minutes as the hardest part was drilling a hole in the metal bracket in the passenger footwell fuse box, this was to earth it. Used a Nextbase hardwire kit with piggy back fuse, connected to the heated steering wheel fuse in the passenger footwell fuse box. As soon as the ignition is activated it switches on and then it switches off 30 seconds after you turn off the engine. Seems to be working well as it has WiFi and GPS. I mounted it just to the left of the interior mirror out of sight from myself. Total cost was approx £105. Hope this helps/
Regards
foxy66 :D :D :D :D
That does help, it helps me realise I can't have one if I have to do all that! I'm not too good at DIY, unless it's detailing.

Does any of that invalidate warranty?
 

·
Registered
Bedfordshire
Joined
·
389 Posts
billvega, I installed my own, I have not used a permanent power connection but ran the power cable down the side of the window behind the glove box and along the centre console and plugged it into the rear lighter socket. The cable is neatly tucked away and out of sight and only took about 10 mins to do.
I haven't hard wired as I will be changing the car and didn't feel it was necessary for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Picking up my XE in around 10 days and I'm already really paranoid about someone scratching it as they pass by it because my parking spot is literally a meter away from the apartment's garage access door (ie. dozens of people will be walking/brushing past my Jag on a daily basis :x ) in light of this I've decided to go for the Thinkware f800 pro with the front and rear cameras that take timelapse pics ever 30 frames when you're parked.
My only worry is that recording 24/7 is going to drain the battery. Looking for extra battery solutions but a bit overwhelmed with all the different solutions out there. In any case, will take it to a car electrician to get it installed.

Anyone have experience with extra battery packs and/or recording while the car is parked?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I did it the same as foxy66, but didn't drill the bracket in fuse-box, when routing the cable down the nearside door pillar, pulled the plastic trim off the door sill, and there is a bolt that is earthed to frame, just removed that and put loop terminal on camera cable and refitted bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Nice photo Phil, to me it is the better way of doing it, don't like drilling into blind spaces and fragments of swarf have a habit of going where they are not wanted, cheers Tony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Taurus said:
Nice photo Phil, to me it is the better way of doing it, don't like drilling into blind spaces and fragments of swarf have a habit of going where they are not wanted, cheers Tony.
It's easy enough to drill the bracket next to fuse box if you are very careful but be warned!! There is a wiring loom right behind it.
 
G

·
Interesting anecdote here. My dealer will not fit non Jaguar items to any Jaguars as they "can" cause battery drain problems. :? :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts
Vespa said:
Interesting anecdote here. My dealer will not fit non Jaguar items to any Jaguars as they "can" cause battery drain problems. :? :shock:
I think it's called "Covering your ass" :D :D
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top