Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced my S-Type with the XE last November. (2015 Sport). No problems until last week. A dashboard message appeared.
"No engine restarts in 502 miles. Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Quality Detected."
I've only covered about 1000 miles. Why would it say wrong fluid Quality detected after covering 1000 miles ?
I put 10 litres of Adblue, bought from Halfords, in a day ago. Still displays message.
I made sure it was the correct type. (22241-1).
I thought perhaps it takes a little while to register, but it's starting to worry me now!

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
CJ.

G

·
It's likely a faulty sensor (or software update required), quite common on early XE's. Is it still in warranty? If so, get it down to the dealers for a fix.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had exactly the same warning on my 2015 XE. Software update sorted it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
vitoman58 said:
Had exactly the same warning on my 2015 XE. Software update sorted it.
It was nothing to do with the particular AdBlue although interestingly the warning appeared not too long after I had done a refill! But nothing to worry about and no problems since the update :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your quick responses! If it is a software/update problem, does that mean I can ignore it until I have the Jag seviced later this year, or do I still need to get it sorted before the dreaded "no engine start" countdown reaches it's conclusion?
🤔

G

·
Probably best to get it sorted sooner rather than later, as when it reaches zero it likely won't start anymore (if that part of the software works - I never dared test it).

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Black Cat said:
Thanks for all your quick responses! If it is a software/update problem, does that mean I can ignore it until I have the Jag seviced later this year, or do I still need to get it sorted before the dreaded "no engine start" countdown reaches it's conclusion?
🤔
You definitely will need to get the update done before the countdown hits zero. Seems ridiculous when there's actually nothing wrong but the computer is firmly in control :roll:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys
Some kind of peace of mind just knowing what the heck is going on!
🤞

·
Registered
330 Posts
Will it really not let you start the engine?

It might be a bold move programming that into a car in today's health and safety / litigation culture. Imagine stalling it somewhere or having to stop for whatever reason ( accident or other emergency ) in an unsafe place, such as a motorway ( with or without hard shoulder ), and not being able to restart because the counter had timed out and therefore creating an even more dangerous situation.

I do like the idea of a soft, cold voice saying "I'm sorry, but I can't do that, Dave." when you hit the start button though. :cool:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Good point and you may well be right. I guess we've now got to wait for someone to take it to the wire and see what really happens :shock:
I think it would be entirely possible for Jaguar to mitigate the risk using the tracking technique inherent in the car but then again something of a programming nightmare and I suspect not viable.
Nonetheless an interesting scenario mash101_98 :geek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've recently had this issue. Jaguar assist checked the software version and configuration and it was fine. So checked the injector and found that the adblue had crystalised around the injector. This isn't checked during a service. Once the injector was cleared and reset, the warning hasn't come back (so far so good).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Follow up to my message of the 3rd Jan regarding the above problem. My XE (R-Sport 180), is going in to the main dealers next week.
Over the phone they said they would drain & refill the Adblue, & then regenerate. They also said it would eventually not allow me to restart the engine.
They want it for two days. Why?
Will update when rectified.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hope that sorts it Black Cat. They had mine for about 2 hours while I waited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I did exactly the same last weekend. I knew that my adblue was not substandard as it is the same type I have used since I bought the car and hadn't topped it up for about 3 months. 5 Litres of Halfords DEF didn't remove the fault message. Now i'm down to about 300 miles I have started to worry and contacted a JLR main dealer. They want £150 to run the diagnostics before anything else. My car is 3 years and 5 months old, bought as an approved car just over two years ago so it's out of warranty but as this is a known issue with these cars I would have hoped JLR would take ownership of the problem and compensate us for the costs.
Of course, there is always the chance that there is a fault of some sort so I can't blame the dealer for running the diagnostics but think it very unfair for us to have to pay to correct a fault in the software if that proves to be the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An update to my DEF/Adblue problems. Took my XE Sport to Inchcape Jaguar. They drained a sample. Carried out BCM update & reset monitor system. Tested. Ok, message gone.

1000 miles & 2 months later, message was back. ( In answer to previous questions as to wether the vehicle would actually not start once the warning has reached zero, the answer is yes. It is built in by law, because using the Adblue reduces your emissions. It therefore reduces your road tax).

Returned it to Inchcape. They removed DEF Injector. Cleaned Injector. Carried out Prime & Pressure Test & smoke test.
Re-calibrated system, tested, ok. Cost just under £300. £180 of that was for the Diagnostics check! Apparently the injector is prone to cystalisation
of the Adblue, especially if the car is left standing for a while.
On picking up the car, I was told that due to the fact I do little mileage, (5000 miles a year), I should have the Adblue tank drained every 3-4 months!
This is because the Adblue has a short shelf life if not used & replaced. I replied, "Should I take up taxi driving then"!
This is factual rubbish. Adblue has a shelf life of approx. 18 months if stored between the correct temperatures. 6 months if not.
As a rough guide, you will use a litre every 500 miles. I would add a couple of litres every 1000 miles then.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My car was a year old when I bought it and had only done 1500 miles. It's now 3 years and 3 months old, has covered 21000 miles and has hardly been used for 5 months each winter (in secure storage). In all that time the DEF has only been topped up once at the first two year service, so each fill of DEF will have been in the tank for around two years without draining or topping up. Methinks Jag dealers talk through their rear ends.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'm of the opinion that a lot of these messages are due to choked injector and the software looks at downstream values which don't add up and so flag up "incorrect Def quality". Once under the car, the Def injector is easy to check, so guess what I'll be doing next time I'm under there :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the second time in 12 months I have had the "Faulty Diesel Fluid Detected" warning come up. The first time it was fixed at no charge and apparently a sensor issue

This time it occurred after I had driven around 3000 miles from when the Adblue was filled up and now I am told it is an issue with the Adblue quality (not one supplied by Jaguar that was used) and the fix was to drain it, run some tests and replace it. Total cost $240.00 I could understand if it happened 2-3 months ago when I first filled the Adblue but to happen so far after that is concerning. I have looked at a number of Jaguar and Land Rover forums and it appears I am not alone. Many have advised that it is a sensor issue (after they had theirs looked at)

This is my third Jaguar and I think it will be my last. The fact in 2019 we are still adding a secondary product to an engine is ludicrous. Reminds me of the days I used to add 2 stroke mixture to the petrol in my lawn mower

G

·
There was a Topix item regarding crystalization on the injector and this stated it was not a fault and a natural occurance. When the injector is next instigated it clears. SSM72865
Models F-PACE / X761
XE / X760
XF / X260
XJ / X351
Title Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Injector Crystallization
Category Engine
Last modified 07-Jul-2016 00:00:00
Symptom 403000 Exhaust System Concerns
Attachments DEF Injector Crystallization.pdf (DEF Injector Crystallization.pdf)
Content Issue:
Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injector crystallization leading to incorrect and unnecessary replacement.
Cause:
Some crystallization will always be present on the tip of the injector after engine shut down, this is considered to be normal. The
crystallization will quickly disappear after the engine is started and the exhaust system becomes hot.
Action:
Refer to the attached file which shows a selection of crystallization on the DEF injector tip.
These pictures show a level of crystallization present on the tip which will not influence the function of the injector. These pictures are
typical of injectors currently being replaced and returned via warranty and when tested are no fault found.
Always refer to the Diagnostic and Testing Section in TOPIx if help is required diagnosing concerns with the Selective Catalytic
Reduction (SCR) system. Section 309 - Exhaust System

1 - 20 of 46 Posts