Jaguar XE Forum banner
501 - 520 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
The Nick Collins interview is full of business gobbledegook and it's hard to discern any concrete facts from it, other than "Jaguar is thinking and doing things differently for its re-imagined range of luxury EVs". One fact that does emerge, though, is that they are planning on Jaguar prices being in the £100,000 range. I find it difficult to imagine that many people, if any, will want to stump up that sort of money for a Jaguar, when they could spend it instead on a Bentley or Aston Martin. Jaguar's sales proposition, from its beginnings, has always been to offer a convincingly upmarket car for only a relatively modest price uplift over mass market cars. IMHO it is a big mistake for Jaguar to abandon that policy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
An interesting feature about Jaguar beyond 2025: Exclusive: Jaguar's bold roadmap to a luxury car range by 2025 | Auto Express

In the article, Nick Collins, JLR's Executive Director of Vehicle Programmes is asked whether we will see the XE and XFreturn before 2025. He answers in the affirmative, adding that “Like everyone else in the industry we’ve been struggling with Covid and then microchip-related supply issues. They’re great cars and we’re working tirelessly to stabilise supply – as soon as we’ve done that, we will restart those cars. We’ve an order bank for them and customers we’ll fulfil those orders for.”
Thanks for sharing Stephen. I found it very interesting.

My thoughts:
  • It seems we will see a number of limited run 'special edition' (or should I say 'curated') versions across the Jaguar range as they wind down towards 2025. They clearly think need to provide a bridge between the old and new Jaguar worlds, so some targeted special editions seems a logical approach.
  • I can't believe the XE provides much of a bridge between the old and new world so taking what they've said at face value, production of the XE and XF should start up again, but I suppose the question is for how long. I can't see them working on a 2024MY update for example.

My concerns:
  • 'will be a copy of nothing' suggests that Jaguars heritage will be ignored. If that's the case why call them Jaguars? The latest Range Rover is a close copy of the old one to my eyes, so Gerry McGovern has something to prove if he really wants to make a name for himself.
  • JLR quality has been, shall we say, patchy. If they really are working at a pace they've never worked at before, I won't be buying a early production car.
  • the £100k pricing target is probably achievable the way inflation is going, but we are probably about to enter a global recession so the next couple of years are likely to be difficult for many organisations, including JLR.

Reactions: MeowMix

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
721 Posts
Personally i think 3-5 years into the experiment at 100k plus Jaguar will die and be bought up by a lesser known mass market brand to use the name for their own special edition / sporty numbers … unless one of the cars in the first couple of years is a real market leader

massive gamble but I think they are a bit bonkers personally like has been said before Jaguar is acar that is in the most part, something people aspire to but is generally still achievable unlike an Aston /Bentley etc hard balancing act to achieve without devaluing the brand through ‘too many’ sales but the world is now, unfortunately, greed driven

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally i think 3-5 years into the experiment at 100k plus Jaguar will die and be bought up by a lesser known mass market brand to use the name for their own special edition / sporty numbers … unless one of the cars in the first couple of years is a real market leader

massive gamble but I think they are a bit bonkers personally like has been said before Jaguar is acar that is in the most part, something people aspire to but is generally still achievable unlike an Aston /Bentley etc hard balancing act to achieve without devaluing the brand through ‘too many’ sales but the world is now, unfortunately, greed driven
I agree with you, and I don't really see Jaguar in the same price bracket as Aston or Bentley, even if the target is £100k. The cheapest DBX is currently £163k and the cheapest Bentayga is £155k. The cheapest Range Rover today is £103k (and the most expensive is £178k). All prices without the obligatory options.
At 10% p.a. inflation £80k today will be over £100k by 2025. I think there is market space below Aston/ Bentley for 'new' Jaguar, but they will have to make sure there is clear blue water with Land Rover (and I believe that's currently one of their big problems).

Reactions: wecpcs

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had another update on my build. To say I’m pissed off is an understatement. Last time I spoke to them I was told that I had a confirmed build date in September as was being built as a MY22. This had been confirmed and accepted into build release. Now being told that this has been cancelled again and re-ordered as a MY23. Existing orders will be built in order of when they were ordered but heard that all before. One year and 2 months now and still no closer to a new car on my drive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can’t imagine how frustrated some of you guys are. I wouldn’t stand being messed around like this, I’d be considering other makes or a used approved Jaguar if it’s definitely an XE you want. Not just Jaguar mind, all makes similar just some worse than others! Decisions to be made and I hope it works out whatever the decision 👍🏻

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
305 Posts
This is all very sad. The fact that Ford have suspended their orders for now is not much of a consolation as this has been going on for a very long time.

·
Registered
in Sandwell, West Midlands!
907 Posts
Yep, it does seem to be a general problem - the nearest car makers to me have just gone into administration after nearly 40 years - no more new Westfields ever, from the look of things! :(

I really hope things turn out well for everyone waiting for an XE...

·
Registered
156 Posts
It seems that the global shortage of semi conductors is now effectively over. The chip manufacturers are gearing up for a global recession and are having to cut back production because of reduced demand. Not sure where this leaves Jaguar and their on/ off production planning?

·
Registered
518 Posts
It will be interesting to see how numerous onshoring semiconductor plant projects initiated in the last two years in the USA will be impacted. Example, Intel is building eight plants in Ohio to support the automotive industry at a cost of US$20B. With semiconductor capacity now available, hopefully JLR capitalizes on the their onhand orders and builds them while the customers still want them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
These plants need neon laser etching machines.
70% of neon is made and comes through Odessa and the USA has traditionally got 90% of its supply from Ukraine.
About 85% of annual palladium production ends up in catalytic converters and one of the biggest producer is Russia.
The list of problems is endless.
I wonder if we'll ever get back to what was normal.

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
721 Posts
Not for quite a while I should imagine

·
Registered
721 Posts
Jeeez I thought things were getting better ! If you want an EV I’m sure you’d have one by now there’s billions of those with 21/22 plates kicking around it seems 🤔

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Had a speculative email from my local stealer, saying that they could get me a new XE in "under six months" and they were aiming to get as many new cars as possible. Seems the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.

Reactions: anotherpassword

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,518 Posts
The sad thing here, is that Jaguar are losing sales like mad while the EU gang of makers seem to be getting their orders out OK by the number of new reg cars on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone with orders had any updates? Still no new date for me. 😡 Also been advised that there is a possible delay with my order as I have the meridian surround sound as an option!
No update from my dealer either apart from to say there is no change to the order status yet, although car was only ordered on 14/06/22. I also opted for Meridian upgrade so unsure whether this will add delay - D200 R-Dynamic Black.

501 - 520 of 536 Posts