Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys planning on a particular strategy for running in the car?

The manual states taking it easy for the first 3000 km, no crazy stuff like track days, but offers little real detail on the subject. Does that mean it does not really matter? The Honest John website goes into specifics about limiting rpm and increasing your maximum rpm as the miles build up. Is that really needed?

Interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used to work in the motor trade. Some colleagues would have said there was no need to run in modern engines. My opinion is that if it were true the manufacturer would not include information on the running in process in the handbooks. I have always followed their guidelines on any new vehicle I have purchased. I also change the oil after the first 500-1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My cynical mind tells me that by saying it, they have a way to blame the driver if it breaks early. No driver is perfect during "running in" so the manufacturer can deny responsibility.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree with Halo.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My experience -- not a scientific study by any means -- is that if you run a car in, you will be rewarded with lower oil consumption later on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My cousin, which is working as the VIP Workshop Leader at Mercedes Europa, once told me exactly what you're saying, Halojones.
His advice is to drive the car as you would normally do after the first 100 kilometers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts