Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hardly ever use the screenwash but every time I clean the car (admittedly only every couple of months) I have to top up with 2-3 litres. I know owners have previously reported leaks and syphoning effect but my car is garaged and there's never any evidence of leakage on the floor. I can only assume that it only ever leaks when moving or suffers from excessive evaporation!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use far more than previous cars and I think it's due to the fact that every squirt is full-on for (what seems like) a long period of time. My hunch is that's what's happening in your case.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use screen wash as I travel a little bit and I add quite a lot at time. Never saw any leak under the car. Somebody told me that headlamp washers use a lot o liquid, maybe from there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In January I used a tank and a half of screenwash on a round trip to Inverness due to salt on the road, 1200 miles round trip. That seemed resonable. Like you I am surprised sometimes when the warning light comes on as I havent really gone far but living on a main road I always have to clean the screen before I drive off. I think as others have said the headlight washers use a lot of the fluid and the headlamps never seem to be dirty so it could be the cause.
My Volvo used to use massive amounts of screenwash, fillup every 400 miles approx, again I assumed because of the headlamp washers.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never use at night as I don't want the front of the car sprayed with screenwash. Never had the low warning and only used once or maybe twice since last top up but still took about two litres. Only ever use the wipers in torrential rain as screen is coated and water just streams off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to me... it took me forever to figure it all out (not the sharpest tool in the shed not gonna lie) but yeah ath the end it turned out, for some reason I can't still fully understand, that the leak only happened when moving... go figure! :unsure:

·
Registered
425 Posts
...it'll use a lot if you also have the pop-up headlight wash option. 💦

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hardly ever use the screenwash but every time I clean the car (admittedly only every couple of months) I have to top up with 2-3 litres. I know owners have previously reported leaks and syphoning effect but my car is garaged and there's never any evidence of leakage on the floor. I can only assume that it only ever leaks when moving or suffers from excessive evaporation!
I had this problems a few months back and did see small fluid trail at the front. I believe my problem was the known one of a headlamp washer getting stuck so it siphoned fluid out. After I used the washer at night one or twice the fluid loss stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts