Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Just considering the XE (had an X-Type for 14 yrs) anyone had any luck negotiating a discount? How much if it's not a rude question? Also anyone got any pics of the Odyssey Red?

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jezza said:
My dealer wouldn't take anything off but made a dealer contribution of £2500 to the finance deposit. Try car wow.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a bash

·
Registered
505 Posts
I didn't ask for a discount but I got a good deal on my partex - In effect, they gave me the car's "value" as the part exchange element then bunged another 1/3 in as dealer's contribution. In addition, I would get another £738 thrown in if I use their finance deal. I worked it out that with a decent deposit - £10000 or so, the extra cost of finance over two years is wiped out by the £738. Then you the have the option of paying the loan off after a couple of payments, so it's a bit of a no-brainer. However, if you keep on paying monthly, you're quids in at the end - inflation reduces the effective cost of the payments plus you keep more of your money in the bank earning interest. Even with low inflation and interest rates, it's still worthwhile.

It's the bottom line that matters though ! I have the feeling that there is a VAT benefit if they give you over the odds for the partex and "discount" the price of the new car.

Have you been driving the same X Type for 14 years ? If so, what mileage and did you have any problems with it ? I sold mine at 80,000 miles after 6 years.

Ian

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the useful hints folks, I'll be doing some research in the next few days and let you know how it goes.

Ian, yes I bought a 3.0 Petrol SE X-Type new in Jan2002, it's done 114,000 miles and had a few (expected) issues New rad and water pump being the worst. Still goes beautifully but it's got to go now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could try an online broker such as drivethedeal.com where you'll get roughly 10% off an XE. I used them to get get a great deal on my wife's fiesta. You deal directly with a registered dealer and don't pay the broker anything.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Result folks!!

Just ordered a XE 240bhp Portfolio, Odyssey Red, Matrix wheels, sunroof, parking & heating packs! Discount of 7.4% off list price!! Sadly my 14 yr old X-Type is worth only £500 p.ex maybe I 'll sell it privately.

Delivery is scheduled for mid. Oct. (at the moment) I hope it sticks.

Cheers for now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.