Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My review - from launch to delivery

The launch

Back in September 2014 I watched the long awaited launch of Jaguar's XE, the successor to the X-type. I will not join the X-type discussion, as this is my first Jag. But having owned a Rover 618i which relied a lot on the Honda Accord, I understand many negative remarks about the X-type connection to the Ford Mondeo.

But back to September 2014. I watched the introduction live via Internet in my hotel room on a business trip, while my wife watched it at home. My wife has an above-average interest in cars, so her opinion is very important to me. Although I drive the car 90% for business, my family has a big vote when purchasing a new car (lease). My wife was very positive about the XE-S, but we both wanted to see the mainstream models. So the wait for the Paris motor show
started.

In October 2014 loads of images of all trims became available. After watching the numerous times with my wife we were sure: the Jag XE would be our next car.

The Merc

I was driving a Mercedes C Coupe (220cdi) in 2014. A car I selected because of it good looks (according to me). But it wasn't very practical: all four members of our family (including our two daughters) are pretty tall. Just to demonstrate this: my 12yr old daughter measures 172cm (5,6 feet)... The Merc was an eye catcher, and was a good drive. But the three ladies instructed me that the next car should be a 4-door instead of a coupe. The new Merc C class is not our cup of tea, too classic. So exit Merc.

Leasing in the Netherlands

Leasing a business car in NL is merely based on our very complex tax system. Depending on the CO2 output, a tax percentage of 0% (full electric), 7%, 14%, 20% or 25% is assigned. This percentage is used to add a fictive amount to your bruto income, by multiplying the catalog price of the car with the percentage. So for a car with a price of 50.000,- Euro and a CO2 tax of 20%, each year 10.000 euro (20% of 50.000) is added to your yearly income. For my
Merc it means approx 400,- Euro's extra tax per month... I don't need to tell you that this system plays a major role for the Dutch when selecting an new lease car?

Selecting the XE

So what does this mean when leasing the XE? Well, when selecting the 163ps you're safe:20% tax. But when selecting the 180ps auto things get messy. Only the Pure and Prestige trims get 20% tax, the others 25% tax. For me this would mean a extra netto tax of 5.000,- Euro for the total leasing period. So I had to make tough decisions: a 163ps auto R-Sport or a 180ps auto Prestige...

This is how I decided:

1. I preferred the interior of the Prestige
2. I like cars with an exhaust (tail pipes). The 163ps doesn't have them
3. I like the aggressive skirts of the R-Sport
4. I wanted BIG wheels

So I decided to go for a Prestige, 180ps auto. And asked the dealer to add the 19" alloys later because of our tax system...

The wait

So, back in October I had ordered my XE... from a website without seeing the car in the flesh or driving it. But in December 2014 Jaguar NL joined the Masters of Luxury fair in Amsterdam were the new XE (and the Landrover Discovery Sport) were available for a exclusive preview. When my wife and I returned from this fair, we felt good. The XE was a very nice car.

The big wait was now in full progress. In January the first very positive prototype reviews were published, making me and many others on this and other forums more eager to drive it. In the mean time I changed some minor details to my car, but always avoiding a later delivery. In April my dealer emailed me the definitive build slot (end of April) and a possible delivery date (end of may).

The dealer

I ordered my car at Munsterhuis Sports Cars in Hengelo, The Netherlands. My company has been a long time client of their own leasing firm (Munsterhuis Lease) and have enjoyed a very good relation with them. Munsterhuis Sports Cars sells Ferrari, Maserati and Jaguar, so we didn't lease their own brands till now. My XE was the first car leased via and delivered by Munsterhuis. You can tell that they are in the higher segment of cars: a very nice showroom where loads of dads+sons are watching the supercars and a very nice atmosphere. If you're in their neighborhood: visit them! (Last month they had Alessi's Ferrari F1 car in the showroom).

I guess that I was a pretty difficult customer to them. Their sales staff was of course very new to the XE and I, just like many others on this forum, became very informed about the XE, production process, etc. by sharing with each other. I guess that at some points our information was more up-to-date than the info supplied by JLR to their dealers... But they managed to deal with me, even when I bypassed Munsterhuis and JLR NL to get more detailed information about a definite delivery date.

The arrival and delivery

At June 10th my dealer send me some pictures of their parking lot: my XE had arrived!

After a few days the final delivery date was scheduled: June 18th. Delivery was great. I took my family with me to Munsterhuis and said my Merc farewell at their parking lot. In the showroom my XE was covered in a black Jaguar cloth.... showing how big the car was..... A nice bottle of Prosecco was posted next to the car, to celebrate the first XE delivery by the dealer (and one of the very first in The Netherlands).

After some nice words, my daughters were asked to reveal the XE.

And there it was: our nice and very aggressive looking XE on its big black wheels. We were both overwhelmed, as was our leasing contact person from Munsterhuis. Some more chit chat and we drove the XE outside, to enjoy it and show it to our family and friends.

PS. A big surprise from Jaguar: my car got complementary electric seats. I ordered it with the default Prestige seats for the Netherlands, 2 way electric adjustable but got 8 way electric adjustable

My verdict for the dealer experience: 9 out of 10

The first impressions

After more than a week I can tell a lot more about the car...

Looks

The car looks great and gets loads of attention from other drivers and people walking by. All remarks are very positive, although not everyone likes my choice of wheels. Everyone I talked to preferred the XE above my Merc, so it's definitely a big step forward for the looks. And I have to confess that I look a lot at my car, every day...

My verdict for the looks: 9 out of 10

Performance

The new Ingenium 180ps is a powerful beast. The 8 gear autobox works like a charm and is very subtle when shifting gears. It's like a very refined smooth sports car. My Merc had the 170ps engine with 400nm torque (the XE has 430nm), but it felt more aggressive. Of course that was a manual, so it cannot be compared with the auto box. At this moment I cannot decide if I prefer the XE engine above the Merc, but I must say that it is a big joy to drive it. If you see me driving, the joy can be read from my face. The engine has one little danger: I drive often to fast in the XE, because of its smoothness and the silence of the engine (it really doesn't feel or sound like a diesel). The Merc was much louder and less smooth, so driving to fast unnoticed was impossible then.

The first 1500 kilometers were not very fuel economic, but I think that's because the engine is new and I have to learn to drive a little slower... I will keep you informed about fuel consumption.

My verdict for the engine: 8 out of 10

Steering

I read a lot of very positive reviews about the steering. And I completely agree! I have never ever driven a car that feels so good to steer like the XE. It sticks to the road and makes you feel like driving a high-end sports car. No more comments, drive it!

My verdict for the drive: 10 out of 10

Build quality

Here things get a little less positive. If you look around the (very nice) cabin, you can see that Jaguar is not yet at the level of the German Three. But they're getting close.I noticed some not completely fitting components and cheap materials. For example my sunglasses are eaten by the XE as it won't let me open the sunglasses compartment. My old Merc was not as good as the XE, the new Merc is much better.

My verdict for the build quality: 7 out of 10

Entertainment system

Moving from the out-of-date Mercedes entertainment system (2012 model) the XE feels very good. The sound is okay, but the navigation system is outstanding for this class. Nice graphics, including 3D cities and lane information makes it a pleasure to drive with. The voice control works good, and integration with Bluetooth telephone is nice. I have found some minor software bugs, but you won't hear me complaining.

My verdict for the entertainment system: 8 out of 10

Overall (9 out of 10)

I am very very happy with my car and am looking forward to every trip every day. Can I recommend the XE to you? NO! Keep away from it, buy an A4/3/C/Guilia, but let me one of the happy few to drive the Jaguar XE. But then, I really wish JLR to succeed and keep on designing great cars.... so yes, go to the dealer and testdrive it as soon as possible. I predict long delivery times in the near future.

For more pics, click here: http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=596&start=10

·
Registered
118 Posts
very professional and extensive drive test, like it :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

G

·
Nice review Marc. I agree with your comments.

Engine (180 dielsel) is very quiet, apart from at idle. After start there is a lot of exhaust vibration, but during driving it is quiet and very easy to over-speed. Especially in dynamic mode!

The finish is good but maybe not so nice as my old C class. There was a panel slightly out of position behind the right rear seat, near the seatbelt. That was die to a trapped black trim strip. I have sorted it but it should have been picked up by the faxtory or dealer.

Fuel has averaged 45 mpg so far, with a mix of town and motorway driving.

Rear seat room seems fine, headroom is the same as my old car. The bench seat is deeper than the old car, this makes my six year old daughter's legs hang at an angle, rather than more vertical, resulting in her feet touching the driver seat. I think the distance from the front of her car seat to to edge of the bench is at least an inch more. As she grows the slight problem will go away. The middle seat is a waste of time, as you would expect, but for four adults I think the XE is fine.

The boots is smaller than the c class but does fit two sets of golf clubs. I do not have the spare wheel and so the far end of the boot is angled. This means the majority of the floor is lower, giving more height, but I think a level boot floor would be more useful - the angled part is almost useless. I wonder if there is a way of levelling the floor without the spare wheel?

Getting lots of looks and questions, it certainly is a nice looking car. And I am very happy with the standard Crux 17 inch wheels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Marc, great review and very good of you to give a complete background from your initial pre production interest to owning and driving.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Navigator, how bad is that vibration at idle?

G

·
The vibration / sound is noticeable. My daughter (6 years old) commented on "that noise" today. The noise reduces as you drive away, it is loudest when idling. The right exhaust pipe vibrates more than the left. It could be a loose clip underneath, but I don't think so as the sound it not metallic, I had a loose bracket years ago, this sound is different. I am confident it is simply the XE sound. Still, it is louder at than I had hoped. It car vibrates too (a little), which again I think adds weight to an engine rather than exhaust issue. It is not horrible, and I don't think it is a fault, but I am keen to see if others find the same. If not then I'll call the garage.

Interestingly, in the cruise the car is very quiet. It is easy to increase speed without realising, the engine, wind and road noise does not increase significantly with speed changes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Marc great review.
Interesting comments on quality from you both. Will be sure to check mine thoroughly before delivery driver shoots off.

Navigator mines not due for another month but I will soon tell if it's noisy or not. Unfortunately for the XE I will be comparing it to a silent at idle non diesel sounding diesel.

Last rattly exhaust I had was my last ever Ford....heat shield problem on a Focus.

·
Registered
664 Posts
When I test drove the 180 RSport diesel I commented on the noise as soon as the car fired up. I took it with a pinch of salt but they said that apparently was by design for a sportier sound ;)
Things soon quiet end as I drive off though.

Oh...and great review Marc btw :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
SiblingChris said:
When I test drove the 180 RSport diesel I commented on the noise as soon as the car fired up. I took it with a pinch of salt but they said that apparently was by design for a sportier sound ;)
Things soon quiet end as I drive off though.

Oh...and great review Marc btw :D
I'm not sure I'd say navigators rattle sounds sporty. Although hard to tell through words

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for taking the (precious) time to offer such a comprehensive review Marc, and thanks for your impressions too Navigator :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
I know that I've been hypersensitive to any minor extraneous noises when I've first had a new car, so hopefully your slight rattle won't bug you for long Navigator.

G

·
No, definetly not sporty, more agricultural.

When I did a test drive the salesman made a point of saying the car had NOT been driven that morning and may be louder than normal.

It is hard to say if my car is any worse, but it is not as refined at idle as I had hoped. Hopefully once more forumites have their cars we can compare.

·
Registered
799 Posts
navigator said:

When I did a test drive the salesman made a point of saying the car had been driven that morning and may be louder than normal.

It is hard to say if my car is any worse, but it is not as refined at idle as I had hoped. Hopefully once more forumites have their cars we can compare.
Is it just on initial start up or any time the car is idling and stationary?

Not sure I understand what the salesman meant by that. I generally find my car sounds the same whether driven earlier in the day or not.

·
Registered
664 Posts
navigator said:

When I did a test drive the salesman made a point of saying the car had been driven that morning and may be louder than normal.

That sounds in line with my observation at test drive but I'd expect the opposite of what the dealer said to you. I meant cold diesel I would expect to sound a little more gruff. Agricultural is more a term I'd level at the old style PD engines though, I would not expect it of the Jag engine

I think the test drive cars are going to be abused a bit....lots of short drives and folk put their foot down to see how the car responds, so that wouldn't be in line with jag's "take it easy for the first 3000km" advice and therefore I forgive the test drive vehicles for maybe sounding a little more vocal.....but in a new private car, no.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Only picked up my 180 Portfolio today but the only vibration I can feel at idle is through the manual gear stick. The engine noise is noticeable at idle (muted diesel tick over) but it's not significant (to me anyway). Will need to switch off stop start and see what it's like when the engine's warm.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for the positive replies on my review. I'll post some more updates later this summer...

Some extra positive and negative remarks:

• + The instrument lighting is default phospor blue, but changes to red when Dynamic mode is selected
  • - Auto start/stop cannot be turned off 'forever', resets every new trip
  • - Tire Pressure Measurement Systems generates errors, new sensors are on the way
  • - Trunk makes a cheap sound when closed, not very solid
  • - Engine is pretty noisy direct after start
  • - Some panels, for example around the gear control, are not feeling solid: you can easily press them

Just some minor things.... I enjoy my XE more and more!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Aluminium boot lid will sound light.
Mines aluminum up front steel at back as engine is heavy and to keep the 50/50

If the stop start was turned off permanently the co2 emissions would be higher than those listed meaning higher tax for us all.

Noise from engine sounds like an issue.

Tire pressure sensors sound annoying especially as it's not new technology

1 - 20 of 59 Posts