·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
£23! Sounds amazing value. Undoubtedly there is a place for aftermarket items like this. You do need a modern high end phone as manufacturers tend to make wireless charging a premium item (my Pixel 4a doesn't have it, for example).

Reviews are a bit mixed (rate of charge, phone slips off, interference with locking).
How has it been in an XE over a few days of use and actual driving?

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,618 Posts
If people use the search facility and type in "wireless charging pad" there are plenty of previous topics on this with various models and "reviews".

·
Registered
114 Posts
You do need a modern high end phone as manufacturers tend to make wireless charging a premium item (my Pixel 4a doesn't have it, for example).
I have a none-wireless charging phone but have added a charging pad to the rear of the phone and that's covered by the case.
Chuck it on any wireless charger and jobsagudun.

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
I have a none-wireless charging phone but have added a charging pad to the rear of the phone and that's covered by the case.
I have my phone in a case (I broke the first one by assuming it could live without one), so there is little room. How thick are these pads that you carry around?
Seems little better than using wired charging, really, but open to persuasion.

I'd like to hear from the OP on real world experience.
The old topics here don't help in the slightest. They are 3+ years old.

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,618 Posts
Apologies for trying to help.
They may be 3 years old but that doesn't disqualify them from working .
On here it's good to get an overall picture by including ALL available information that might help members to choose a product - new or older.

·
Registered
Bedfordshire
424 Posts
I have this same charger in my car, over 3 years now, and have recommended a few times, it has worked without any issues and charges my iPhone x up very well.

The main problem I had initially with it was remembering to pick my phone when leaving the car 😮

Reactions: PaulTolga and PhilB

·
Registered
114 Posts
How thick are these pads that you carry around?
Seems little better than using wired charging, really, but open to persuasion.

The one I use is linked below.
Thickness, measured with a digi caliper, is 2.0mm at the thick end and tapers to about 1.5 at the opposite end to the connector.
Fits on the back of the phone and the case keeps it from damage.

I have a charging pad at home and a original Jag fitted pad in the car, and now with Android Wireless, my life is free of wires :)

ATB
DD

Reactions: PaulTolga

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
Hmm. Intriguing. Thank you pauljobr and Dynamic Dek. Very helpful.

I am now thoroughly appreciating my recent upgrade to full Android Auto on my car, the downside being that it is now draining the phone a bit on journeys. It's likely the 4G radio connection as maps are updated on the go (although it could be Youtube music as well). Either way, a light charge whilst driving would be helpful. I didn't really have the need before now.

My new IDCORE box (to enable Android Auto) has a spare USB outlet and may be the ideal place to connect to as it's now beneath my dash.

My phone has a tight case on it, though. I do like the idea of being wires free, certainly, just don't want to ditch a perfectly serviceable Pixel 4a phone just yet.

Off to investigate!

Reactions: pauljobr

·
Registered
507 Posts
Power draw on phones is dependent on many things.

Overtly using the phone's 4G/5G internal comms capability to pull all the data your XE might use (maps, streaming music, making calls, etc) absolutely will drain your battery in record time.

If you have a 4G sim card installed in your XE, that connection can pull this data instead of your phone where your phone still controls everything via Bluetooth. Bluetooth is much more battery friendly on your phone.

Additionally, the age of your phone's battery will also impact how much battery capacity you'll be able to use before needing a charge.

My Android phone (Motorola RAZR 2nd Gen) using Bluetooth and leveraging my XE 4G comms results in my phone still having about 60% battery charge left even after a full day's journey that includes streaming music and using Android Auto without the need for wired or wireless charging during the same journey.

With that said, I do pay US$20. per month for AT&T 4G service for my XE sim card data comms.

Since internal phone batteries are nowadays basically permanent, working the battery very hard every day effectively means the life of your phone will be less than someone who leveraged WiFi and Bluetooth a good portion of the time.

Doing a lifecycle cost comparison, I guess you'd have to compare the monthly recurring cost of having a 4G sim card in your XE versus the amortized cost of the one time cost of added wireless charging and replacing your phone more frequently.

Everybody's answer to this will be different with the other usual disclaimers, lol

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
Since internal phone batteries are nowadays basically permanent, working the battery very hard every day effectively means the life of your phone will be less than someone who leveraged WiFi and Bluetooth a good portion of the time.
Yep. I stayed with Samsungs with removeable batteries for as long as I could. But that option finished a while back now.
And then a generation of portable power banks came along that are bag friendly and mean you don't need to throw away a 3 year old phone just because of the battery. Power is a problem for anything portable.

Anyway, I have ordered the parts suggested above. It's not expensive, which is a sign of how far this market has come in just three years. I'll see if the charging pad and receiver work with my phone protector physically.. Jury is out there. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: First Jag-g-g

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine should get delivered today. I had ordered a previously recommended one but that had to be hard wired in via a fused link which was no biggie but the route to wire it required a fair few bits of trim removed so I never bothered to fit it as I have poor track record on previous cars of getting trim off without breaking clips 😂

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
Mine was delivered yesterday (pad and receiver for phone) and I have just tested. It all works just fine, and both are of good quality to the eye.
I have hit a problem with my setup though- my Pixel 4a phone (and indeed the Pixel 5, but not the latest Pixel 6) have the fingerprint unlock on the back of the phone. This is now partially covered by the receiver (which does fit fine inside my protector, so that's no issue). So if I go wireless, I lose fingerprint unlock and go back to pins. Compromises, compromises.... a bit like life!

Anyway, useful thread to me as I am sure this is the way forward now. SWMBO will certainly make use of it as her phone is constantly flat. ;) She might even stop telling me to slow down. But I doubt it.

[EDIT]
Plumbed it all in today. The wire slips into the centre console and is hidden away. You do need to pull out the lower control panel to do this but there are no screws at all.
And as if the 'algorithm' is aware of my thoughts, I have been pinged by Google to upgrade my phone and they'll give me £150 for mine. Makes inbuilt wireless charging distinctly possible... For now, I'll use the receiver, which works well.

Reactions: pauljobr

·
Registered
507 Posts
[EDIT]
And as if the 'algorithm' is aware of my thoughts, I have been pinged by Google
Does this mean if we all start collectively thinking hard enough, Google will start mercilously pinging the emails of JLR Corporate Officers to restart v6 P380 XE production with all the current goodies, including built-in wireless charging?

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
Open ears would be necessary for that :cautious:. Lovely as it would be. I am not convinced that the boss of Innovations who talked recently of 'curating' the Jaguar experience has any.

I have no idea what a curated car is.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes it does seem that, since the new CEO of JLR took over, there is an increasing amount of "mystical speak" from some of their spokepersons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts