Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still getting vibration at idle, not been to the dealer yet but will do once I have time - next week I hope. I've linked a video I made today, I'd be interested in your thoughts on what is going on.

I started the car from cold, having been garaged overnight. The idle sits at about 700 rpm. Then I added a little throttle to take it to 1000 rpm and then back to idle. That is when the big shaking / noise begins (around the 40 second point). I then re-applied 1000 rpm and the big vibrations stopped.

I sometimes get the shaking when stopping at junctions, but mostly right after start as I'm reversing out with no extra throttle applied. At all other times the engine is fine, not noisy or rattling at all but at idle it is pretty bad I think.

Anyhow, anyone else seeing this with their car? ps mine is the 180.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unpleasant bit of resonance :(

I have a 180 Diesel and don't experience that vibration at all.

Perhaps a loose exhaust system mount??? Sorry not my area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I crawled under the car and I can't see anything obvious regarding loose brackets, hopefully the dealer will shed more light on things.

But, whilst under the car I noticed a huge space behind the rear right wheel. Looking up there are cables in view, going to the rear right lights. Surely there should be something covering these? There appear to be lugs / screws in place, I'm just missing the panel. See below.

I get the feeling I may also have a Friday afternoon car.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Noise is different to any issue I've had before so all I can say is visit dealer.

Pictures of underside were interesting and a little suprising. I thought given the low drag coefficient it would be panelled like this

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My concern is the wiring and water. I have emailed the dealer, will call him Monday. Need to go work now. Must say as much as I like driving the XE I beginning to wish had I stuck to Mercedes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I noticed a loud rattle coming from my brothers xe when he first got it. After a quick inspection I noticed the heat shield around the exhaust was slightly touching so just prised it away a touch by hand.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Those exposed wires can't be right. The much vaunted quality assurance standards seem to be slipping :(
I hope that the dealer can provide a quick fix, and that your faith is restored.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found an XJ in a car park, his underside was completely covered, my car is definetly missing some parts. Not found another XE to compare against. I'm going to the dealer Tuesday morning. Hopefully they can get the missing parts delivered fairly soon, I will politely suggest they take parts off their demo car .... not holding much faith in that idea but you never know.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Navigator,

Last time I saw an exhaust shaking around like that, it was down to dodgy engine mountings (softened "rubber" pads between the chassis and the engine) but that was with a fairly basic (and somewhat ancient by modern standards) straight exhaust set up. I find it almost impossible to believe that that's what your problem is, but whatever the cause, you have real grounds to object to it - and the missing shielding - that is unforgiveable and leaves a very nasty taste.

Ian

·
Registered
799 Posts
navigator said:
My concern is the wiring and water. I have emailed the dealer, will call him Monday. Need to go work now. Must say as much as I like driving the XE I beginning to wish had I stuck to Mercedes.
I hope you get the service you deserve and that 'they' put right the obvious defect/s and give your car a thorough examination to ensure there are no other obvious or not so obvious defects.

A little like yourself I am nervous about my first Jag. I have built up a lot of faith with my current marque and it's suited me pretty well.

ianbruce said:
Navigator,

Last time I saw an exhaust shaking around like that, it was down to dodgy engine mountings (softened "rubber" pads between the chassis and the engine) but that was with a fairly basic (and somewhat ancient by modern standards) straight exhaust set up. I find it almost impossible to believe that that's what your problem is, but whatever the cause, you have real grounds to object to it - and the missing shielding - that is unforgiveable and leaves a very nasty taste.

Ian
Yes no early model teething issues, just plain old fashioned workmanship problems. Not the best advert for a car they intended to change the market share in a sector.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My first Toyota - a Corolla - had a major transmission malfunction within a couple of days - the dealer was absolutely amazed - it was the first time that he seen a fault on a new Toyota. He said that the damaged parts would have to be returned to Japan and the responsible party would probably receive a ceremonial dagger in the internal mail...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Navigator, I know how your feeling. I've had problems with my car and when you find a defect you look even harder for others. If you happen to find them then your faith in the car very quickly starts to fade away especially if you've took a chance and changed brands.

To start with I would go to the dealer and look under any other XE you can see to compare. My car was a petrol and I've had my head under the back whilst fitting accessories. I can't really recall seeing a panel or exposed wiring. Cars can have mounting points that are unused in different models.

If there weren't so many stories about cars reaching the end of the production line whilst still awaiting parts I wouldn't think anything of this. Problem is there are and judging by how my car seemed to pass quality control I wouldn't put it passed Jaguar sending your car to the dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those gaps I mentioned are standard! The space I discovered behind the right rear wheel is for the second exhaust, so unless you have two exhausts you too will have your light connectors exposed to the elements. I checked two demonstrators with my dealer and they were the same. A technician explained what the space was for. He told me that the cable connectors have rubber in them and that the there shouldn't be any water damage. I hope he is right. The whole thing looks a little cheap and unfinished, like the inside of the boot roof.

They couldn't fix my exhaust vibration on the quick visit I had, I need to take the car back and leave it for a day. The technician agreed the big vibration is wrong, but annoyingly the exhaust behaved itself when I was there. I did however show the technician the video I gave a link to here and he has sent that to Jaguar.

A friend at work had recently bought a new Audi A4 and it's been back to the dealer five times in three months - so it is not only Jaguar XE's with issues!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They say a vacuum hose was not attached to the engine. Re-attached and apparently all working. I'm not collecting until tomorrow.

What does a vacuum hose do and are there any potential long term issues having driven around for 1000 miles with this off?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Now there's a question... I guess it may be a connection from the inlet manifold to signal to the gearbox "system" whether the engine is being loaded or not - but that smacks of the old fashioned "economy meters" sold by the likes of Halfords in the far distant past. Somehow, it doesn't seem techy enough. I will be interested to hear what explanation you get.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Vacumn hoses have a lot of functions. Some trigger turbo. If yours was functioning then it was heading somewhere else.

Hope all is well upon collection

·
Registered
505 Posts
tobes,

Interesting. Presumably all these vacuum hoses end up somewhere where there is a transducer and Analogue to Digital conversion. I wonder why they don't fit the transducer/converter directly to the measurement point and distribute the digital signal to wherever it's needed. Less time lag that way, as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Performance seemed fine.

I wonder if there are low and high pressure off-takes from the engine, and it was a low pressure hose that was off? I am basing this on what an Airbus engine does, the air drawn off then engine depends on rpm as to which ducting gets the air. As my car was fine under driving conditions (well I think it was!) it can't of been a high pressure hose. I will try and learn more tomorrow morning, it would be great to get some proper technical notes for these cars.

Just a bit concerned if there is any possible long-term damage. I will insist on some paperwork just in case something crops up later.

Must say the dealership was fine today. Got a petrol R sport, 200 I think. No papers to sign, no mention of insurance, just gave me the keys.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.