Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - does anybody have a feel for the comparison of the real-world fuel consumption between the 163 Auto and the 180 Auto? The BIK banding is the same for both. I'm about to order! My current car is the BMW 320ED Auto (same ZF auto box). Long term fuel consumption is 55 mpg. On a decent run without traffic problems 65-70 mpg is normal! I am a high mileage company car driver (80,000 over 3 Years) so fuel consumption is important!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in exactly the same boat - same 320ed and high mileage. See my previous thread.

Since then I have test drove a 180 r sport. The 163 r sport makes the most sense but I can't tolerate the wheels. Anyhow I took one out for 35mile of motorway and 10 mile of country lumpy roads. Nursed it down the motorway first doing a steady 75 and it was registering 62mph.... Not bad really I thought. But soon as you went on the country roads you could see the mpg dropping. It ended up doing 50mpg. Some would argue that is good but when you're use to ed performance it's hard to go back.

I'm still undecided and may still go for it but two other things bothered me - it had a funny whistle that I could work out where it was coming from ; I actually didn't feel sorry getting back in my BM....?

Gunna try C220 bluetec out to compare against it

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree. I have a 180 diesel with auto box and seem to average 52mpg over the first 700 miles. That said, if you stick to 70mpg, that will rise to the high 50s.

Like you I will do about 80 - 85k over three years so keen to see where the mpg ends up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you really put fuel consumption at the top of your list then I think the revised 320 ED at 99 CO2 would be the obvious choice. But the XE feels a class above, certainly from the inside. The official mpg figures are similar. So the XE is my first choice. Will have a couple of hours driving XE's at Goodwood tomorrow. Looking foward to it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through the same debate before ordering mine but ultimately decided having a bit of fun and more enjoyment in a car I'll have for 3 / 4 years over a slightly better mpg - I'm not getting it to drive miss daisy but to enjoy when I can - a mix of 60 / 70 mph motorway monotony and then ruin all my hard mpg improvements with A and B road thrashing!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.