Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some mist / haze when adding diesel. I thought it was due to atmospheric conditions and carried on. However I see in the Topix site that there is a bulletin about it - SSM72309 - Fuel Misting When Filling The Fuel Tank.

Anyone experienced this and spoken to their dealer? I wonder what is in the bulletin?

There are quite a few articles published, several problems look to have cropped up already.

Does anyone have access to these bulletins?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I' be seen that topix allow 1 hour only subscription for around 16€, within that hour my understanding is that you can download every document related to your car, misting fuel included.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I might give that a go. You can access all documents for one hour. I hoped someone else had done that already!

·
Registered
118 Posts
i made the 1 hr. subscription, only 7,54 Euros, and downloaded several bulletins, including the "misting fuel".
they simply state it is a natural effect under pre-determinated conditions so they advice not to start replacing parts for nothing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I noticed the same "misting" issue when I put diesel in a couple of days ago. Was rather worrying but I figured there would be reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only issue is if, in the end, all the refill cap area got moisten with diesel fuel giving the visual "lorry effect" on the side of the car......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It cannot be normal, I have never seen it on any vehicle before. It was pretty humid the day I filled up, only filled up once so far though. Maybe the fuel splashes in the tank and the spray comes back up the filler neck. If so that would be a big fix or change. No wonder the bulletin says do nothing. Something to keep an eye on, but I do not want to be covered in diesel fumes each time I refuel.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Fog is formed when vapour in the tank drifts out of the tank during filling - but only if the vapour is warmer than the outside air - the vapour then condenses in the cooler air to form a mist. This situation is possible in a cool summer evening, when the outside air can be cool but the car (and the vapour in the tank) can be still hot from all day in the sun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
robertW said:
Fog is formed when vapour in the tank drifts out of the tank during filling - but only if the vapour is warmer than the outside air - the vapour then condenses in the cooler air to form a mist. This situation is possible in a cool summer evening, when the outside air can be cool but the car (and the vapour in the tank) can be still hot from all day in the sun.
Woah woah woah, don't you be coming along here with all your logic and perfectly reasonable explainations, we demand outrage and grovelling service managers!

·
Registered
799 Posts
GrantT said:
robertW said:
Woah woah woah, don't you be coming along here with all your logic and perfectly reasonable explainations, we demand outrage and grovelling service managers!
Lol grant

·
Registered
28 Posts
a lot of the new fuel stations actually recover the misting/vapour back to the main tank. just a little way of taking a bit more of your money.
but in a nut shell it happens to all cars more so petrol over diesel.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
pcramman said:
a lot of the new fuel stations actually recover the misting/vapour back to the main tank. just a little way of taking a bit more of your money.
That interesting - sounds like a safety thing. I guess there's an air inlet on the filler nozzle with a vacuum hose alongside the fuel hose - I'll take a look next time....

·
Registered
80 Posts
robertW said:
pcramman said:
That interesting - sounds like a safety thing. I guess there's an air inlet on the filler nozzle with a vacuum hose alongside the fuel hose - I'll take a look next time....
In California in the US, they have a rubber/plastic boot that goes round the filler neck which captures it, it's an anti-pollution measure

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine has done this every time I've fuelled it, in all weathers. I didn't want to look like a numpty asking what it was, in case it's something I should have just known! :) I'm just waiting for some helpful passerby to unload a fire extinguisher on me and it as it does look like smoke!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Were you always at the same fuel station snapper? I am going to try a different location next time. Must be something wrong the tank or neck design, if it happens next time I fill up (still on first fill up) I will call the dealer. I do not want to stink of diesel nor have the car covered in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just noticed it myself last night. Never seen it before on any other car.

Also, the fuel nozzle doesn't go in very far, seems to be blocked from going in as much as my previous cars. I wonder if this is contributing to the mist.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts