Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know if the navigation system and their in-control allow google maps ?

I am failing to see why these people put in their own navigation when there are tonnes of decent ready made app tools with live traffic and map updates. Surely it is not for the £100 or so per year they are looking to make from map update, as lets face it not many people make updates regulalrly

Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't think that Jaguar will allow the Google map app to be used with their InContol system as they already have a map app that allows them to potentially generate an income from the updates.
Currently I believe third party apps for its smartphone platform, developed in conjunction with BOSCH SoftTec, include such offerings as iHeart Radio; Inrix; Stitcher; Glympse; Sygic; Parkopedia; Hotelseeker; Cityseeker; Airmotion News; Winston and Mobile Day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that it looks even worse http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=873327 looks like Tom Tom have linked up with the mapping service.. which means the car will end up in a field somewhere or the routes will be the longest most akward routes in the world !

I wonder if I can get one of my coders to port google maps, but at a risk of killing the warranty...

·
Registered
425 Posts
"which means the car will end up in a field somewhere" ........... ah, that maybe explains why Jaguar have seen fit to include JLR's All Surface Progress Control as well as the Winter driving mode which enhances stability in low grip conditions !

·
Registered
138 Posts
It was reported early last year that Glympse would be supported on InControl, but I suspect that this is only in the US and not the UK (http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/jlr-corp/news/2014/01/070114_jlr_incontrolapps/). Glympse allows you to send others your position, provide navigation and let's them know your ETA.

Personally I'd like to see Waze (now owned by Google) ported to InControl, but I can't see that happening. I've found the estimated arrival time to be accurate to within a minute or two, even on a 4-5 hour journey, with very fast updates if traffic builds/frees up ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.