Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, need some advice if you can spare a minute.

I drive an ancient car that I've had for ever - a 1998 Vectra B with 95K miles and worth nothing. I've always sacrificed the "flash car" since I started a family but it's starting to grate.

I have just test-driven a 240PS R-Sport today with my wife and it's a great car - comfortable, quick (very), slim sexy and very desirable. But I would actually be getting a 200 XE-R-sport (ebony black, chrome window surrounds, templar 18", black and white seats, parking pack) which comes out around £31K.

I do relatively low mileage unless on company business in which case I get 16p a mile. My personal mileage is very low and I would probably keep the Vectra anyways. Hence the petrol over the diesel.

So what's the problem?

It's the current deals on used XF. My local dealer has an approved used '13 2.2 Sport with under 6K on the clock or a '63 2.2 Premium Luxury with 21K both under £25K.

New petrol XE or much bigger diesel XF?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

I see your problem but the simple answer is you cannot compare a new XE model with a second hand XF outgoing model. There are some very good deals on at the moment for new XFs until the new 2015 arrives.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The deals are very good on the xf's at the moment but as baiker said you cannot compare but theres a simple way to choose the xe is very sporty therefore has sacrificed some rear passenger space and boot space it has focused on the drive experience where the xf is more like a sofa on wheels it is better if you need the boot/rear passenger space the one thing i will say is the 2.2 was criticised for lack of power not being a bad engine just a bit lacking afterall its a 2ton car so if you have kids and need the space go for the xf but as you found out the drive of the xe is sublime

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, a new outgoing XF isn't attractive as there's no price advantage really. Bigger yes, but it's not enough of a benefit to buy old tech for the same price. Ah well, I'm going to see what the XE will cost on the road and then decide.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Halojones, glad you could join the forum

Because it is a very personal decision I don't expect anybody can give you advice regarding your choice, except perhaps the wife !

However, here are some of my thought processes, which I'm sure you must have experienced, before making a decision. I'm sure there are things I haven't considered but they will, of course, come to light when it's too late:

FINANCIAL

How long am I going to keep the car? .........A new car has greatest depreciation in the first year. Second hand cars have already suffered that loss. So I will need to keep a new car for a number of years to make the decision financially viable.

How much can I afford?.................................Will I pay cash, hire purchase, loan or contract. Paying cash has to be the best choice if I'm going to keep the car for a number of years (in excess of 5 in my case). A bank loan can prove to be the cheapest way of funding.

Petrol or diesel?..............................................My mileage will be low so, petrol. My decision was assisted by this report:

http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving/driver-tools/petrol-vs-diesel/choosing-between-petrol-and-diesel/

How fuel efficient is the car?.........................This is where my heart overruled my head. A second hand car in my case would surely give a better MPG return. Consider the likely cost over a 12 month period.

What is the cost of road tax?.........................Inevitably, road tax for a new car is highest in the first year (although this is included in the OTR price).Buying a second hand car, I will have to pay the tax immediately (since the road tax law changed). Cost in future years are based on emissions. A new car will have a lower count so could be cheaper.

What is the cost of insurance?.......,,,,,..........The XE will more than likely achieve 6 Advanced rewards and a 5 star rating from ENCAP, which should give low premiums. A second hand car could well cost more.

Servicing costs?............................,,,,,..............A new car will give me 3 years warranty and I can take out a fixed price service contract for three years. I can only get a two year warranty on a second hand car from a Jaguar retailer. A second hand car will probably show faults earlier than a new car and require a MOT sooner.

PERSONAL CHOICE

Do I and the people important to me,like the car? A definite question to ask myself.

Is it the right size for me?..........,,,,,,,.............The centre back seat isn't really suitable for a third adult passenger. The leg room is very restrictive, but I won't be carrying many passengers in the rear so is not a problem for me.

I read as many media reports as possible and the views on this forum. So far, in the main, all are good for the XE. Some slate the appearance as do many individuals. But think of this when you're driving the car how often do you see the outside? Maybe a reflection or two in shop windows. So it's not necessarily what the car looks like, but how does it drive. Of course, many also praise its appearance and if I can stand the thought; it will look like a mini XF when that is released.

Does it fit me? The test drive confirmed my suspicion - YES -- as I said before my heart over ruled my head, after all the sensible decision would be to sell my present car and use public transport!

Good luck - hope you make the right choice for you - only time will tell.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very good post, XES Owner...

But I really disagree with you on the importance of the looks...I'm the kind of guy that looks at the reflection of my car in shop windows...a lot! And I really enjoy it when people keep looking at my car (my Merc coupe surely makes them do that)...

:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thank you Marc.

LOL, you really should keep your eyes on the road !

Having looked at your 'Current Car' I can see why people keep looking at it - very nice. But I'm still glad you've decided to change to a Jag.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the basic XE-SE in Ebony, with Templar 18" and sunroof could be delivered to me in July or I can take back my £500 deposit and walk away. Dealer isn't offering any discount and this car at £29K seems expensive compared to online offers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I quoted an on line price to the dealer and he matched it. Result.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just put my details into carwow and the dealer that wouldn't offer a discount is suddenly offering 5.8% discount!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The deals are out there. Even if you don't fancy using an on line dealer the prices they quote are useful as a bargaining chip when dealing with a salesman face to face.

·
Registered
120 Posts
are you paying cash or going for a PCP/HP? If financing, then that 25k XF will likely work out the same (or more expensive!) than £30k XE, simply due to the finance rates.

As an example, I am going for a very similar car - an ebony black 200ps R sport Petrol auto with around 2k of options, and that comes in at just under £30k after discounts. Stick it on a 4.9% finance deal and its a very attractive proposition..

Plus the XF is bigger, uglier and the current gen has the awful old infotainment/satnav system. I'd think hard on it but unless you really need the extra size, I would take the XE.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't get 4.9% from Jaguar for new and 4.9% from paragon for used. Is the XF that ugly? I don't think so.

I think the problem is my dealer is being a dick and wants full list. That makes the XE expensive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Compared to the XE I think it is - but that is personal preference :)

If you can get 4.9% used thats pretty good - if a PCP watch the GFV though it may make the monthlies huge.

Going PCP does make a big difference - if you look at the finance quote on the jag website, it shows a discount on there (if you do a PCP) so worth showing that to your dealer to see if that will help them budge a little? They can work it in different ways - mine gave me 6% off list but over valued my trade in which brings me to the same figure, just cut a different way.

If not there are many dealers around and you don't need to buy locally. I live in the north west but bought my last car from Tunbridge Wells just due to the massive discount they offered vs dealers up here (around 19% vs 8% up here). That was a BMW mind but the principle applies :)

Good luck whatever you decide, most important thing is to be happy with what you buy!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Deal is done. In early July I will get delivered a 240 petrol portfolio, ultimate black with chrome window surrounds, Templar 18", folding mirrors, oyster seats with the cold and parking packs, and some minor bits and pieces.

What do people think of jaguar's "protection" options - the paint glazing, the leather sprays, the wheel protection etc.?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congratulations, sounds a great spec :)

All of their extras are usually way overpriced - Gap should be £200 for example, but they often ask £350-£700 at the dealer. The best advice I can give is to either get them to give it you for free, or to get a quote online for each of the options from one of the major companies and ask the dealer to price match. What they will do all depends on how much profit is left in the deal for them.

If they won't match, then just buy it online - you can get exactly the same cover for much less.

edit: I personally buy through ALA - there is a good post here explaining it all

http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2

You can also get 10% cashback on their policies through quidco

http://www.quidco.com/ala-gap-insurance/

Paint protection etc is a little different - personally I don't bother with it as it's a lot of money for something that doesnt really cost much to them. The genuine lifeshine kit (exactly same one the dealers use) is around £50 to buy, so most of what you are paying for is the application cost. Thats fine - however I prefer to get my local valet guy to do it as part of a new car prep. The cost is similar, but i trust him to never use a dropped sponge, use clean water/cloths for each panel etc etc. Had too many bad experiences with BMW dealers ruining the paint on day one with grit filled sponges and rushed applications! Then the sales chap trying to pass off the swirl marks as "normal" on collection. pfft.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.