Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to know what people on here are changing from, as I think it says a lot about what you think of your XE. For example, I'm changing from a Volvo XC90 Auto to a 180 R-sport Manual so in addition to the obvious (size, fuel efficiency, all round driving experience) I'm expecting my XE to be unbelievably quiet, whereas if I was changing from something similar to the XE I might not think the change was that dramatic, it might even be noisier.

What have you/will you be changing from? What is/are you expecting will be the biggest difference?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am changing from an XC60 R Design AWD to an XE-S, so that's 2 Volvo converts :)

The reason I am changing is that the Volvo never excited me in the 18 months I have had it, excellant car and I really cannot fault it apart from the lack of excitement. Originally I had decided on the new XC90 as to me it looks amazing but I really don't need something that big, let alone a 7 seater!

The biggest difference will be the power, roadholding and sheer thrill of driving a car like that again, oh and of course frequenting petrol stations a lot more often....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think mine may be one of the biggest shifts - coming out of a Renault Megane 1.5dci Dynamique Sport Tourer - been an essential user company car for almost four years but thanks to a couple of promotions in that time, the XE R-Sport 180 Auto is on its way

I'm expecting everything except the boot space to be a huge improvement :-bd

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, that makes 3 Volvo converts with me.

I'm driving a Volvo V40 (petrol, manual, 150PS) right now and still plan on buying a new XE or XF in the next months.
The Volvo's quite fine and I would have kept it if it wasn't getting to small for me and my family.

Actually, I tried the XE R-Sport 2.0d 180PS and compared to my Volvo, I'd say:
- the suspension of the XE, even with the R-Sport trim and 19" alloys is more confortable and a bit less firm than my Volvo V40 with sport uspension and 17" alloys
- the overall sound insulation is a tad better in the XE
- the diesel 180PS gives much more power and torque than the petrol 150PS engine of the V40
- the ride is much more dynamic with the XE (i.e. the V40 isn't bad, but not as precise in handling)
- and well, the rest is nothing but improvement, I think - except maybe the seats, which are really nice and confortable as in every Volvo

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Switching from a Vauxhall Vectra. Looking for peace and quiet with roar and excitement when I want it :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
On a company lease scheme, I'm coming from a Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel 140bhp, Elegance spec with upgraded infotainment (stnav, touchscreen and sound system), 143 CO2

This might seem like a big leap to some, but believe me I have been a very happy Skoda customer for a number of years (3 cars in a row!) and the gap with the "luxury brands" is perhaps not as large as you might expect. The Superb is massive "bang for buck", cavernous in terms of passenger and boot space, very comfortable and a great, fairly economical cruiser. The latest revision really looks great too, large range of engine options incl. 4WD, and it is jam packed with technology that potentially rivals and exceeds Jaguar, and all this is proven across the VAG range.

I don't have anything against Skoda and would consider another in the future, but the recent new release of the Superb mk3 has really reduced the differentiators with the other VAG brands and does not look so inviting on a company scheme from a cost perspective (to me at least) . Add to this I don't need such a large car any more and really just fancied a change!.

....so I was next comparing the usual culprits in the compact executive category and for me the XE was the clear winner (despite all the delivery and patchy info concerns - Skoda is exactly the same with the new Superb mk 3 btw)

....plus......its a Jaaaaaaaaag! :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I changed from a Ford Kuga 2 163 Diesel AWD Titanium X to the XE 20d 180 Portfolio ...

When I bought the Kuga it was fairly new off the production line and waiting times were not dissimilar to the XE (6-7 months at one point). Ford got caught out with its popularity at first, had loads of issues with parts (autoboxes, certain alloys, paints, etc. etc.). Lets just say the forum topics were very similar!!

As to the Kuga vs XE,

1. Quality of Finish - Ford have done a great job improving quality over the years but its no match for the luxury finish and feel of the XE, and sound insulation is much better
2. Ride and comfort - not a fair comparison as the Kuga is a tall 4x4 - the XE handling is in a completely different league and much firmer
3. Performance - Yes its nice to have some performance back :) :) :)
4. Looks - I love the look of the XE B-)

What I've lost:
Panoramic sunroof - hardly ever used it though
BLIS - more frustrating than useful
AWD - hope the winters aren't too harsh!
Lane drift correction - but never actually turned it on
Boot space
Rattles - doors, sunroof controls, dashboard, seatbelt housings, etc. (hope they don't come back
)
Towbar - used it twice in 2 years so didn't bother on the XE

What I've gained:
Performance
Comfort
Style
Performance
Quiet
Better MPG (overall average in the Kuga 38, in the XE 54 so far if you drive ECO)
Improved infotainment - Kuga was good but now a little dated and Ford never updated it as they promised!
And Performance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm changing from a Mazda BT50 utility which I used to tow a 3 tonne 5th wheeler caravan around Australia. So the XE Jaguar will be a massive change for me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I changed from a 220CDI Merc C Coupe to the XE 180ps, see my review http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=633...

Quote regarding performance
The new Ingenium 180ps is a powerful beast. The 8 gear autobox works like a charm and is very subtle when shifting gears. It's like a very refined smooth sports car. My Merc had the 170ps engine with 400nm torque (the XE has 430nm), but it felt more aggressive. Of course that was a manual, so it cannot be compared with the auto box. At this moment I cannot decide if I prefer the XE engine above the Merc, but I must say that it is a big joy to drive it. If you see me driving, the joy can be read from my face. The engine has one little danger: I drive often to fast in the XE, because of its smoothness and the silence of the engine (it really doesn't feel or sound like a diesel). The Merc was much louder and less smooth, so driving to fast unnoticed was impossible then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My last company car was an Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI. The 0-60 performance was similar to the XE 180d and I could get 45-50mpg on a good run (not bad for a petrol). However, I wanted something a bit different and the XE fits the bill.

Since ordering the XE I have had a 1.0 Focus and a 1.6 petrol Astra as interim cars. Particularly hate the Astra, no power and rubbish economy.

Fingers crossed for XE arrival next week...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'm currently driving a Mk 6 golf GT TDI.

Looked at Audi and the Mk7 golf but although great cars the trim leval was not what I wanted,plus the factor that everything is an extra!

Then I started looking at The c class and 3 series and noticed JLR had released its new baby.
Couldn't believe just what you got for your money and the quality of the suspension/chassis setup is class leading.
Love the look of the car aswell.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm swapping from a BMW M135i 5dr manual to an XE R-Sport 200ps petrol.

It's a big change to a bigger, and vastly slower car (the M135i was 0-60 in around 4.5 seconds), but I am after a little more luxury now. The XE is the first Jag other than the F-Type that has appealed to be, and I could not find a similarly equipped "premium brand" car for similar money, anywhere. So cheap for what you get, if you avoid the Diesels (which if you have a choice, most people will...)

Looking forward to a more comfortable experience with better leather, loads more toys, cheaper running costs and a quieter cabin. I'll miss the raw speed/performance of the M135i though. It's going to be hard saying goodbye to that straight 6 :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cost really, and as much as I love the V6...I have been scared for my licence a few times in the past 2 years :) Not that i've actually had a single point, but it's all too easy to hit silly numbers and not notice it!

Chopping from the BM to the Jag will save me around £50 a month on fuel alone, £200 a year on insurance, and the payments are around the same. Then there is the maintenance, tyres etc. This way I get the upgrade in comfort, brand new car, save some money and my licence. Win win win win :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It's the running costs that rule out the petrol for me,although the performance and sound is what I crave,plus you get the better looking exhausts! :((
Be interesting to see the new ingenium petrol when their released.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Downgrading in engine and car size.

Not looking forward to a 4cyl single turbo but 50+ mpg will be nice to see.

Will be keeping my car as a second car I think so can get that sensation of speed whenever I like. Plus 2nd car handy now I'm off trains and wife travelling for work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've currently got a mini cooper clubman diesel s, which is a great fun car to drive, but I am going up a couple of notches in terms of quality and refinement. The mini is a little harsh riding for 300 odd mile trips, and the stereo is really poor, often to the point where it sounds really horrible when mixed in with the significant road noise. So yea, love my mini but now I am chewing up the miles, it's the Jag all the way - Roll on October!

·
Registered
217 Posts
My last car was a mini cooper S. As Richarda says, the ride was quite harsh due to the stiff suspension, big wheels and run flat tyres. I got tired of having my spine jarred and the steering tugged out of my hands everytime I hit a bump. And a bump on a corner whilst accelerating.... not fun.

I wanted something more refined, more space and also 4 doors so chose the Jag. It was a toss up between that and a Range Rover Evoque but I like the Jag more.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As someone well-loved for being a mild mannered, self-deprecating (whoops edited), modest attention shunner - an act that helps to get along with all sorts, anywhere - and well known for driving a battered old Mondeo ST220, I'm not looking forward to drawing attention to myself with a new XE. I will have to practice the 'royal wave' accompanied with a suitably watery apologetic grin.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.