Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first moderately good performance saloon 12 years ago - a 3 litre V6 Ford Mondeo ST220 - and realised how much fun driving was - with power and precise control. But as the ST aged and collected the inevitable car park dents, I had to start searching for a replacement. Strangely, there wasn't anything similar for under £40K until Jaguar announced the XE - perfect performance, perfect size, perfect driving aids and perfect prices. So I ordered a petrol 240ps Portfolio on viewing day last March and its due in mid-July - and my confidence in buying on sight was justified during a test drive last month. Light and accurate steering, smooth and even auto gears, perfectly positioned instruments, satisfying interior styling and, of course, that magnificent Jaguar bonnet. It's a dream - I think I was born to drive an XE.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob. The colour took months to settle - far harder than fixing the all technical bits - but I settled for Rhodium Silver. Not very adventurous I know, but It's practical - clearly seen at night, keeps cool in the sunshine and wont show the road dust too much. A close second choice was the Dark Sapphire - secretly my real favourite - a truly regal colour when trimmed with chrome - but the wife cannot be relied on to wash it every morning ....(ha,ha)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Welcome

Not sure I agree with no sub 40k cars to match the ST220.

An M3 E46 cost a smidgen under 40k
330ci E46 closer to 30k
Plenty of others about and of course you could of had an X type.......

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tobes, yes you are right - but only technically.
I agree E46s have a few to choose from but I don't like them for interior styling, oversaturated popularity, tiresome adoration and relentless advertising - all culminating in, dare I say it - a cultural prejudice. I looked at some quick Fords and Mercs last year but dismissed them all on interior styling too. The car must be cosy to be with (like the wife) and the XE has it - that home grown X factor…

·
Registered
664 Posts
LOL...out of interest are there any women XE purchasers even in existence. Not wanting to stereotype but It does seem to be rather a blokes car

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting observation SiblingChris. Perhaps Jag needs a canary yellow paint job to pull in the girls

·
Registered
799 Posts
I didn't see cosy. Just performance and control.

Cars are a personal choice though so can understand some of your reasons.

The XE seems to handle better than a 3 according to reviews and comments here so it must be good and I'm sure it will match the feeling the ST220 gave if not exceed it.

Sibling never seen many females on any car forum. Stereotype maybe but women seem to prefer smaller cars and with the xe being smaller than some jags it may attract a few. We are downsizing for that reason although to be fair my wife drives our 5 with girl racer ease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.