Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. It's been great reading the various threads on here as I waited for my xe to arrive, and I'm very glad to say that I picked up my prestige in bluefire on Friday morning.

It's a fantastic car, very comfy and looks amazing in that colour - as it does in all colours! I've never been asked about a car so much, which suggests it's a good looker! I have the 180 diesel and it's surprisingly quick, and after 100 miles of shortish journeys, it's already showing in the 40s mpg and I think this will continue to improve as the miles increase. Also, the sat nav is very good and the instructions are very clear.

The start stop is a little gruff when it's cold but that can be easily solved by turning it off!

The only one complaint/disappointment that I have is about the incontrol app. It seems that the only phones that are supported by the app are iPhones or android. Unfortunately I have a windows phone (Nokia) and therefore can't use the function. Similarly it would seem that no blackberry user would be able to use it either - when you consider that many of the xe owners will be business users, it would seem strange to exclude the two types of phone that are often supplied by companies (Nokia and blackberry).

My jaguar dealer seemed very confused by this as they thought that android referred to anything that wasn't an iPhone and therefore all phones would be supported. They're apparently going to look into it, but I don't get the impression that a solution is forthcoming.

I know it's very early days and there aren't that many cars out there, but I wondered if any of you might have found a solution?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Blackberries are a total different kettle of fish. In recent years RIM have done very badly and lost out to Apple and Android users, so I can see Jag not supporting. RIM are also going to bring out an android based phone.

Windows phones, not so sure. They still are not as popular as the other two so again understanding why they prioritised. I think the info on what is supported has been fairly clear at this level so far.
I think there are hacks and apps to run android to some extent on Windows too

On top Of this Nokia are going Android I believe and Microsoft are rumoured to be considering supporting android apps on Windows.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Great to hear you've got your XE and tgat you are so pleased with it.

As for incontrol Android have around 80% of the marker share Apple around 14% with Nokia (windows) BlackBerry etc picking up the rest.

Not all app designers bother about the tiny market share of Nokia etc so many apps available on android ios don't make it on other formats.

So I do understand why Jag didn't cater for the others.

The bad advice given to you that android equals everything non ios was poor and as bad as the salesman's pitch to me about auto/manual.

As for companies and smartphones BlackBerry had the entire market and lost it. Not worked for a company who use blackberry for quite a while now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
As someone involved in building mobile apps and websites, I can tell you that we simply don't consider anything outside IOS and Android. The market for Blackberry has all but disappeared and Windows phones still don't register. We can't afford to support all the variants so it's the big two and that's how it will remain for some time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody.

I appreciate that the blackberrys are very rare now, and didn't realise that windows have such a small share. It's still a bit of a shame that I can't make full use of this great function.

That said, my wife has an iPhone and it was very easy to load the app on her phone............the problem is that she can now keep track of my movements all the time!!!!! No more opportunities to go to the driving range, but blame a late meeting for being late home!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts