Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Anyone asked a dealer (or better still that has an XE) if the JustDrive app is/will be included in the inControl set.

It looks great, especially with text to speech for text messages.

Here's a link to it, it doesn't seem to be in the appstore....I assume it will be here soon....

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/jaguar-land-rover-justdrive-official/

Pete

·
Registered
799 Posts
Seems very little info online about any of incontrol.

Apparently according to an old jlr release there's an APP due earlier this year to enable twitter and some other popular apps but all quiet since.

Got an update for incontrol on my android but can't access fully as need VIN to create account. No recent update on my ios.

Edit followed your link. Same app I didn't know name of it

·
Registered
79 Posts
XES Owner said:
Some snippets in all of that about it been rolled out globally throughout 2015 - so here's hoping it's on the way, though would of made sense announcing it in conjunction with the XE surely?

·
Registered
799 Posts
If I wasn't clear I did mean there is an audio book app on incontrol already

XES those Germans have a habit of being early. Although any innovation is good If it trickles down to others.

·
Registered
664 Posts
did you see the autogefuehl video for inControl?

when they opened the news apps and clicked the button to read it out it played back over the mobile phone's speaker because it was not connected by Bluetooth at that point with the car. This would seem to suggest the sound is played from the phone regardless

interestingly they said e-mail and message apps may be due at a later stage....and the phone was wired via USB for InControl to work. Can't quite fathom why BT won't do the job?

also I can't quite fathom why if there is a satnav app on inControl, which when you stop at your destination you can take with you on the mobile and it carries on giving you the last part of directions on foot, why would Jag do an in-built sat nav at all? I can't imagine these days that everyone buying this car won't have a smartphone ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
My current car and phone for that matter allows playback through car, phone or both. And mines prehistoric

Maybe playing with settings in xe will allow it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Think from the Autogefühl video linked below, its obvious it will allow playback via the phone.

My very simple Peugeot allows it...so I'd imagine the Jag is going too..

·
Registered
799 Posts
That was a dissapointment. Connect phone with cable into dedicated incontrol port.

All info on screen direct from phone no download

Playback sound needs bluetooth

Why o why can't the cable do it?

On a brighter note more apps must be out soon as others are way ahead.

·
Registered
664 Posts
tobes said:
That was a dissapointment. Connect phone with cable into dedicated incontrol port.

All info on screen direct from phone no download

Playback sound needs bluetooth

Why o why can't the cable do it?

On a brighter note more apps must be out soon as others are way ahead.
I think it's understandable that the phone is relied on for the apps. It means the software in the car is simpler and you don't have to update it too often. It also means it's extensible. These are good things

Why o why can't the cable do it? My thoughts were the opposite, why not do everything over Bluetooth, or even device to device wifi. Why is a cable even needed for charging? Some cars are now coming with wireless charging options.
Having said that if you are bothered about sound quality for music then BT isn't the way to go, what's connected via USB should only IMHO act as the storage for the music not the player, otherwise what the heck is the point of the meridian hifi you may as well have some Bluetooth speakers and nothing else inbetween.

However I am not so sure I really care about all the apps. I need my phone to connect for phone calls. I want a decent stereo, and assume I can hookup a USB stick or small portable hard disk for that.

I sense a manual reading session coming on! ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Haha

Not sure my post was clear.

I meant the cable acts as a charging port if bluetooth Is needed anyway. BT works just fine to stream all kinds in other cars. So not sure why they don't allow all on usb if connected or all BT if it's not for a best of both worlds. Also enables a friend to stream music without pairing if they just connect the lead. Plus if the car needs bluetooth for sound even if phone is connected will it play sound from a usb stick without BT?

As for simpler if a smartphone can store upto 128gb on a micro sd and handle hundreds of apps I'd assume a 30k car could manage it.

As for updates, others now use 4g so nothing needs doing manually.

But just like you I will make a few calls listen to some radio stream a few songs. Just thought an all new car would be set up for everything that's available and not be out of date before it was launched.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I was hoping I could just plug in a USB device with all my music on; is that not the case?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Media player can play from USB, iPOD Bluetooth, and 3.5mm AUX apparently. There can be issues eg,files need to be in the right form such as MP3, but using a USB stick is usually pretty straight forward. In my experience (using Ford SYNC amongst others) some phones don't support USB media streaming though.

InControl Apps is something else and its not clear whether or not the apps can use the USB connection for audio rather than Bluetooth (if the phone supports it). For some it wont matter but for others (like me with insufferably picky ears
) a USB connection provides much better quality.

The range of apps for InControl seems very limited at the moment but I do like the idea of car safe versions of apps being available through the touch screen. So on a journey I can flip from podcast, to audio books (from a source I already subscribe to!), to news, to music using my voice and keeping my eyes on the road ... this is something that justDrive seems to promise :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quigon that's great news if it is like that.

As for car apps I do understand car safety but other manufacturers permit everything whilst stationary even dvd which then stop when vehicle is moving. Would be nice to have full access to various apps whilst parked on the larger screen ie reading emails before heading into a meeting or being able to browse the net.

The touchscreen is actually something I'm not sure of as an interface whilst moving as I feel it will require more attention to operate than idrive and other similar versions as it's a stretch to reach it and an unnatural movement compared to the gear stick positioning of the idrive.
That said at least in the XE you can look at the road whilst operating the touchscreen. My avensis hire cars touchscreen is mounted low on the dash!!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
As for car apps I do understand car safety but other manufacturers permit everything whilst stationary even dvd which then stop when vehicle is moving. Would be nice to have full access to various apps whilst parked on the larger screen ie reading emails before heading into a meeting or being able to browse the net.
A great idea! The news app shown in the Autogefühl video had a drive and an engine off mode I think. So APP DEVELOPERS PLEAE NOTE

The touchscreen is actually something I'm not sure of as an interface whilst moving as I feel it will require more attention to operate than idrive and other similar versions as it's a stretch to reach it and an unnatural movement compared to the gear stick positioning of the idrive.
Me neither yet. Used an 8" touchscreen in the new Mondeo and the Insignia NAV (hire cars) and preferred the latter as the icons and clickable items are a little bigger (to see and to select with finger). Definitely need a screen cloth to keep the touchscreen clear of finger marks though!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.