Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, don't know if anyone can help but ------
Just got my car and i cant get it to recognise my iphone. It connects fine through Bluetooth but when i connect by cable it doesn't get found (i.e. if i want to use the apps it keeps telling me to plug my iphone in to the usb). Obviously it cant see it. Has anyone else had this problem ? Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this problem the other day on Android though. Was working fine then was told it didn't recognise my Phone. Try resterting the phone and make sure the cable is plugged in securely. The usb connection seems a bit wobbly to me so make sure the phone isn't resting on the cable connector to the usb jack. If i go over a bump it seems to lose connection.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No afraid it didn't work, car just doesn't pick up the phone when plugged in sun. iPhone 6 running 8.4 firmware . Might have to nip in to jag to see if there is a problem (

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I am playing music from my iphone over Bluetooth, the connection seems to drop for 1-2 seconds on a regular basis. I tried to connect via USB, the apps work ok, but the music plays for 2-3min and then the sound is lost (still looks like the track is playing on the screen).
Car going back to the dealer next week to try and get it sorted.

·
Registered
138 Posts
One other thing to try: Disable everything else on the phone to see if anything is interrupting things. So:

1. Disable wifi
2. Disable Bluetooth (which you won't need as you're using the cable)
3. Disable data on the phone, again just to make sure that something isn't polling in the background and causing a delay
4. Close all apps and reboot the phone

Now reconnect the phone and see how it goes. I know it would feel like the phone is crippled, but this is for testing purposes only. If the above is better then enable wifi/bluetooth/data one by one and test with each one enabled.

With Android it is far more likely to be a background app pulling things down as apps have a lot more control over the OS than on iOS.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't know why guys but my iPhone is now working with all the apps and playing music. I didn't do anything, very strange - but very pleasing !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Martin, tried your suggestion but no joy.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My 5 plays Bluetooth audio no problem. I haven't done a long enough drive to see if the drop-outs happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Must be an issue with the car, it drops every 2min.
Dealer going to have a look next week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The dealer has taken my car away to have a look at the connection problem. Left me with an R-sport XE, when I tried that the Bluetooth and cable connection to my phone were fine.
It also has a reversing camera and 14x14 seats, I'm a little jealous..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds odd if it works on one car and not anothe. Colleague with a prestige demonstrator said he could pair but was getting dropouts with his iPhone too. Any drop out in my mind needs fixing regardless of how frequent.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've not noticed drop-outs with my iPhone5 via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My iPhone 5 just plugged in and went. Running 8.4. Have you plugged anything else into the USB? Perhaps your car has a dodgy USB connector/cable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
NorthernStr said:
When I am playing music from my iphone over Bluetooth, the connection seems to drop for 1-2 seconds on a regular basis. I tried to connect via USB, the apps work ok, but the music plays for 2-3min and then the sound is lost (still looks like the track is playing on the screen).
Car going back to the dealer next week to try and get it sorted.
I've got an XE on a 5 day test drive and have exactly the same issue. Initially I paired the iPhone 5 with Bluetooth, which worked fine. I then tried music via Bluetooth. Sound quality was poor with occasional 1-2 second dropouts. Later this evening I tried the cable and sound was very good by comparison, but after a minute or two no sound, even though the player indicated that music was playing.

Just read the following in the handbook ... but not tried the solution yet.

Note: In some cases, if an iPhone is connected via a USB cable for music and also to a Bluetooth® wireless technology device for other phone functions, the audio will stream through only the last connected port. For example, if a Bluetooth® wireless technology device is the last connection made to the iPhone and the iPod lead is connected, no audio will be heard through the speakers via the iPod lead. Track title and time information will still be shown on the display. Audio output from the speakers will only be obtained if the user chooses audio mode on the Bluetooth® wireless technology device. To address this issue, disconnect and reconnect your device's USB cable or open the iPod application on the iPhone, select the Bluetooth icon and select Dock Connector on the pop-up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
tristan said:
Note: In some cases, if an iPhone is connected via a USB cable for music and also to a Bluetooth® wireless technology device for other phone functions, the audio will stream through only the last connected port. For example, if a Bluetooth® wireless technology device is the last connection made to the iPhone and the iPod lead is connected, no audio will be heard through the speakers via the iPod lead. Track title and time information will still be shown on the display.
I now understand what happens with the iPhone 5. When I get in the XE it takes a few seconds for Bluetooth to pair. If I plug in the iPhone cable before pairing and then use iPod for audio the above symptoms occur. If I wait until pairing and then connect the cable I can use iPod audio. Similarly, if I leave the phone in the car with the cable connected, lock it and reenter, iPod audio is unavailable but Bluetooth audio is.

This is a "feature" of the iPhone.

BTW, Bluetooth audio is shockingly bad.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have problems with hands free calls - iPhone 6 and connects fine, and first few calls each "drive" are fine but then on a call there is a "click" every few seconds and people on the other end say the call quality is dropping out. Wonder if it's a noise reduction / muting function going OTT?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Don't know if this helps at all Jonty, but from the telephone compatibility page for Iphone6 there is this caveat :

Warning: You may experience an issue with this device where the hands free system controls may be unresponsive during calls. The behaviour may occur when your iOS 8 device is configured to use Apple iCloud services.

For the best compatibility with this vehicle please ensure your device is updated to the latest version of iOS.

·
Registered
428 Posts
stever_51 said:
Don't know if this helps at all Jonty, but from the telephone compatibility page for Iphone6 there is this caveat :

Warning: You may experience an issue with this device where the hands free system controls may be unresponsive during calls. The behaviour may occur when your iOS 8 device is configured to use Apple iCloud services.

For the best compatibility with this vehicle please ensure your device is updated to the latest version of iOS.
Thanks for that - it may be a pointer I. The right direction as I have iCloud on but in the same breath am also on the latest iOS version.... I'll try turning off iCloud and see if it works. :-bd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts