Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Linking my iPhone 6, running iOS 8.3 to the XE over bluetooth works fine and it syncs Contacts, etc without any problem. But when I click on 'Messages' I get the error message 'Text messages not available'.

Equally, when my phone receives a text message (iMessage), I do not receive any notification from the car, even though this option is checked. 'Inbox' and 'New' are greyed out. Linking the phone via USB makes no difference and I have repeated the issue with my iPhone on the dealer's demo XE too.

The dealer is trying to contact technical help at Jaguar to try and sort the error.

Has anybody else successfully linked their iPhone with the XE and NOT had this specific issue?

View attachment 213

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I enabled that on my phone and received an iMessage, but the car still didn't announce it. The error message on the display has gone, but it now says 'No messages' under 'Inbox'. The 'New' button is still greyed out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is there an option to update/re-read text messages? I get the same behaviour from my iPhone 6+ connected to Ford SYNC on my current car. Even with notifications enabled on the iPhone, it only notifies SYNC if the phone is locked
So if the phone announces a text and nothing comes through SYNC I have to select an option on SYNC to "Load Unread messages", which then interrogates the iPhone.

Also, on SYNC no caller ID info comes through so each message is from "Unknown Sender"! Be interesting to see if the same happens on the XE, or if its just a SYNC issue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a call from a techie at Jaguar. The XE was tested and is fully compatible with iOS 8.1.1 and the car went into production using that version of its software. Apple then released subsequent versions of iOS which contain changes which have introduced 'certain incompatibilities' with the car's software. (I interpret that as 'a bug!). Apple are aware of these 'issues' and they should be corrected in a subsequent release. It is affecting other car manufacturer's vehicles too apparently.

So, stick with 8.1.1 if you haven't yet updated as Apple do not enable rollbacks to previous versions.

On the bright side, the 'Hey Siri' function works perfectly through the car's systems so you can use that to send, read emails, iMessages, etc, which is what I have always done anyway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Now I have my XE I've tested the iPhone 6+ (iOS 8.3) connection and I can receive (announced) text messages but only when the phone is locked, and announce texts is ticked in the InControl phone settings menu.
The reply / new functionality though is greyed out. Not sure if iPhone ever supported this though as never got it to work on my Ford SYNC either (iOS 7 or 8).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can someone confirm the "status" the car / phone has to be in to "reply" to messages?

also how do you use the "hey siri" function? is that just by pressing the button on the phone or can this be done by a button on the car?

·
Registered
741 Posts
According to Jag's own compatibility list, IPhones you can receive but not send SMS through the car. If you are having trouble that may well be the cause.

The car has to be stationary to display SMS messages on the screen or reply/send them. You can press the read button to have them read out though. I have not tried to reply using a template so can't speak for that function.

I have no idea what the 'hey siri' function is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts