Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took delivery of my new XE. Trying to store station presets for the DAB radio but everytime I do, when I come back to car it loses them and just comes back with the BBC stations in the first 6 presets - anyone else experienced this? Also Incontrol Apps seems to work very intermittently. Anyone else struggling with this and I assume for Android USB it plays through bluetooth anyway so isnt really via the USB?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I haven't got inControl working yet. My login seems to have got messed up. However, I can assert confidently that you should use USB not Bluetooth with inControl. Bluetooth is fine for playing audio, but for inControl to work more data will need to move backwards and forwards. The DAB storage in mine works fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - Thanks for that. I do use the USB but when i play via music via the Incontrol Apps, the music still comes out via bluetooth which seems a bit strange to me?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mystified by all this: have I got to be a computer expert to be able to operate my car? Already had to save all my cds to a USB stick (thanks for your help on that MartinBailey!), now I just want to be able to play them so that some noise comes out of the speakers. Also would like to use my phone for hands-free calls via Bluetooth. Other than that, I'm quite happy to use the touch screen. Another question: could someone who has a car with the standard Jaguar audio system advise whether AM/FM radio is available as well as DAB: the specification for my car (due next week) says DAB radio, but the Owners' Handbook (downloaded from this site) shows (page 145) instructions for AM/FM tuning as well as DAB.

·
Registered
138 Posts
petesheep said:
Mystified by all this: have I got to be a computer expert to be able to operate my car? Already had to save all my cds to a USB stick (thanks for your help on that MartinBailey!), now I just want to be able to play them so that some noise comes out of the speakers. Also would like to use my phone for hands-free calls via Bluetooth. Other than that, I'm quite happy to use the touch screen. Another question: could someone who has a car with the standard Jaguar audio system advise whether AM/FM radio is available as well as DAB: the specification for my car (due next week) says DAB radio, but the Owners' Handbook (downloaded from this site) shows (page 145) instructions for AM/FM tuning as well as DAB.
You're welcome. Glad you managed to get the music as far as the USB at least.

I don't know if you can select music via USB and voice calls over bluetooth without the car just grabbing the music via bluetooth as well - maybe USB overrides BT...

I am pretty sure that it'll include AM/FM as standard as well as DAB.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it's an Android phone, under the Bluetooth setting you can select whether a device is used for Phone audio, Media Audio, Contact sharing or any combination thereof, dependent on device.

Haven't a clue about IOS

·
Registered
138 Posts
You don't have any functionality on Bluetooth for iOS other than pairing, but I'm pretty sure that USB will override Bluetooth anyway.

·
Registered
664 Posts
martinbailey said:
I don't know if you can select music via USB and voice calls over bluetooth without the car just grabbing the music via bluetooth as well - maybe USB overrides BT...
yes you can its a different communication protocol :)

for music it remembers whatever you last connected, so for instance if you have mobile connected on USB and are running incontrol Apps which is telling your mobile to play audio over BT, its not going to then necessarily just know to switch back to play music via USB when you leave the incontrol Apps - I think I read in the manual it saying you might have to disconnect and reconnect.....but it is independent of the actual phone call connection as I understand it. Would like to hear some experience of actual use from those with cars though :)

incidentally does anyone know on Android is it using RSAP or handsfree mode? I assume the former if it can read text messages etc, but I think that would also mean you lose your mobile data connection in this mode, so how would other inControl Apps (like the news reader for example) work at the same time? Guess I will just have to see it in operation to get it!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do wonder how many apps Incontrol will actually support, I'm fairly stuff stuff like Spotify well never come over as that would mean they would have to customize the app for Incontrol right?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think you are right. Unless they can make money out of it why would they do it? Maybe Jag or Bosch would give them an incentive though to get it in their vehicles ahead of other manufacturers. Who knows?....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Have you seen how little the app has been downloaded?

Just 1000 on android. Not sure many app developers will go all out for such a tiny market.

The bavarians seem to have catered for general apps in their updated system as well as 4g. So same app as millions of other users and live updates.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses. I turned off the Bluetooth audio on my android but the music still plays through my phone rather than being sent via USB and the phone connected with cable. Just an example but the news on board app won't even begin opening for me in the car. Nothing happens at all and I have WiFi as I'm sitting in my drive. I can access contacts calendar and music (despite only playing via Bluetooth). Anyone else experiencing the same? I have r sport 180ps auto with htc one m8 mobile. A bit disappointed by the incontrol stuff and the remote seems a bit inconsistent but when it works it's a cool gimmick. Loving the car and ride though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can't get news on board to open either.
I am gonna call into the dealers this week for them to take a look.
Am on Android also.

R

·
Registered
50 Posts
AndyK said:
Thanks for the responses. I turned off the Bluetooth audio on my android but the music still plays through my phone rather than being sent via USB and the phone connected with cable. Just an example but the news on board app won't even begin opening for me in the car. Nothing happens at all and I have WiFi as I'm sitting in my drive. I can access contacts calendar and music (despite only playing via Bluetooth). Anyone else experiencing the same? I have r sport 180ps auto with htc one m8 mobile. A bit disappointed by the incontrol stuff and the remote seems a bit inconsistent but when it works it's a cool gimmick. Loving the car and ride though.
Is the Incontrol function worth having/using? I'm contemplating having to upgrade my iPhone 4 on ios7 to a ios8 phone just so I can access incontrol, but it sounds like it's not worth doing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had an XE for a 24 hour test drive and found that I did not really use any of the (current) inControl apps. You listen to music over the stock app, and the phone contacts sync over bluetooth, and these are the two most important items to my mind. I would not want to access a calendar on the screen, especially while I am driving. However, I hope that more useful apps are released in the future that will add further value. The concept is good - it just needs that killer app.

·
Registered
799 Posts
For a new car the incontrol feature and apps is already looking a little dated in comparison to what others are about to/have recently released.

They missed the boat with streaming apps although I'm sure there will be a work around using your phone but we could already do that anyway.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was always a bit confused about the in control apps in fact when I picked up my car app I was expecting this to be a standard feature and in fact I was very dissapointed when I discovered that I didn`t have it. However seeing what the standard has to offer along with the sat nav I am not to dissapointed with out it.

For me the important things are:

1. Able to use the voice control for making calls and requesting POI`s which works really well.
2. Ability to stream music via Bluetooth which is quite slow in responding hence I am using a USB stick.
3. Eco systems which gives me an indication of how I am driving.
4. Remote App

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's odd I'm pretty sure incontrol apps is standard on all XE. Problem with it though is it only works with a select few phones Apple 5 or later and iOS 8 or Android 4.1 and later (I think). If you have one of these phones it should be available soon as you connect via the usb lead. Android 4.4 and later must also be connected by Bluetooth for sound.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't been bowled over by InControl Apps either. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and wanted to connect it via USB to play my music and use Bluetooth to make calls.

One thing I did notice was that if you're listening to the radio (DAB) and go to InControl Apps -> Music and start playing a track, the radio continues. I expected the radio to switch off when playing a track. I had to change the source to Bluetooth in order to stop the radio.

Also, there seems little point to the Music app within the InControl Apps if I can just choose Bluetooth as the source and play the tracks that way.

Does anyone know if the bit rate changes over Bluetooth? My mp3's are saved in 320kbps and I wouldn't want a lower quality for using Bluetooth. I'd sooner buy a USB stick and forego InControl Apps altogether.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The A2DP protocol is capable of 320kbps yes
However how good it sounds will largely depend on how the protocol is implemented on your particular phone. I've heard reports of it being a bit iffy on older android phones, but nothing recent. I'm not sure if the mobile manufacturers publicise what they do but I'd be really surprised if they are not supporting the highest bit rates now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts