Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found these on Ebay. They finish the wheels of nicely and look so much better than the plastic caps that come with the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
was just looking at those from a number of sellers, including silver/grey union jacks.
Care to share the ebay item number? I assume this does not contravene any forum rules?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used these type of metal valve caps before , some how they seem to weld themselves to valves so almost impossible to get off , so be careful
also would they effect to tyre pressure monitoring system ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used these types of caps on all the various cars have had without them bothering the tyre pressure system or welding themselves to the valve. Only problem you have to watch for is ensuring the tyre centres put them back on when changing tyres.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was told by a dealer when i had them on my XFR that they would invalidate any warranty claim on the TPMS valves, I believe it did state in the handbook that metal caps mustn't be used but this may have changed with the XE.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Depends which type of tyre pressure monitoring is used on the XE (I don't know which they use) but some indirect methods have nothing to do with the actual tyre pressure as they measure rotational speeds and other factors outside the tyre it self to work out that there is a difference in pressure.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know other Jags use the Ford system with the sensor inside the wheel, the issue the dealer said there could be is the aluminium reacting with the steel and causing the valve stem to break.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread but I thought I would just post a little warning based on my experience this last week.

I got a set of these from eBay and had them on the car since November. Drove off early one morning this last week to see TPMS showing only 26PSI so I popped into the local petrol station for air but the cap just wouldn't come off. So I had to go home for better tools to help me.

The small retaining/locking screw had rusted a little but would not budge. In the end I had to take pliers to it to remove and in the process squashed it. Not too bothered about that but then the cap still would not come off so I used a small hand socket set and bingo.....but, now then what's that....oh my tyres rapidly deflatting....balls.

Unfortunately the cap only came away with the inner part of the valve still attached to it and so I ended up with a flat, no spare and no way to fix the valve which was still firmly stuck in the cap. There was no sign of corrosion by the way.

Anyway, after a massive palava with the lease company, being recovered by the AA and the AA man giving me a tour of the East Midlands because No one had any valves, I had to leave my car at the jag dealer who ordered a valve and sorted things for me the following day.

Fortunately for me the dealer was able to remove the remaining caps without damaging the other valves. Everyone should note that this is not covered by warranty if you haven't fit the genuine jag caps and each valve is just over £60 plus fitting plus VAT. So a punt of a few quid on eBay could ending up costing you!

The dealer I went to said the valves are different in all the jag models and they just didn't have them for the XE in stock. When he realised what had happened, he said he thought it inevitable that sooner or later he'd get someone else turn up with the same issue so made sure he ordered a bunch of them into stock.

Thanks to Jag Stratstone Derby for not treating me like a complete numpty and valeting my car in the process :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have just put on the Jag genuine valve caps from approved accessories brochure. Metal caps look great but as stated they can fuse due to metal reaction against the threads on the valve stems.
The approved Jag caps are a ridiculous price but then again they are approved so no fusing issues and no warranty issues either.

·
Registered
969 Posts
HARRIER said:
I have just put on the Jag genuine valve caps from approved accessories brochure. Metal caps look great but as stated they can fuse due to metal reaction against the threads on the valve stems.
The approved Jag caps are a ridiculous price but then again they are approved so no fusing issues and no warranty issues either.
Just smear a little vaseline on the thread and you will not have a problem.

Barrie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Copper slip on mine
I also check pressures once a
Month so no issues

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the 2017 model and mine come with metal caps/plastic that looks like metal as standard! Not the best of pictures, but this is the wheel and you can sort of see the cap.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is the standard plastic caps fitted there indeed as all models with pressure monitoring have.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I purchased and fitted the EBay valve caps and, after reading this thread, thought I'd better remove them but couldn't get any of them to budge. I even tried using a pair of molegrips with no success. However, I then received the letter from Jaguar re the fuel line recall and decided to ask my dealer, Pentland Jaguar in Perth, to have a look at the same time, which they very kindly did today. It took them almost an hour to get the four caps off, after which, when I asked how much I owed, they said "nothing, it's on the house", when they could easily have given me a bill for an hour's labour, probably in the region of £50, so hats off to them.
If you have bought and fitted these caps, take heed and remove them immediately, if you can that is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Maybe a silly question but am I correct in assuming the discussion only concern the nope OEM caps sold on ebay not the the types sold in the XE accessories broschure?

·
Registered
402 Posts
arc said:
Maybe a silly question but am I correct in assuming the discussion only concern the nope OEM caps sold on ebay not the the types sold in the XE accessories broschure?
I have no experience of the ones in the Jaguar brochure but would be extremely surprised if they caused the same problem as the ones from EBay, so I think you would be safe to use them. That said, I can definitely say stay away from the EBay ones.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have fitted the Jaguar approved caps but still used a little WD40 on the threads. The jaguar one's are very expensive but then I am not expecting problems as a genuine accessory part.

On other cars I have used chrome one's off e-bay and smeared with a little grease as suggested above but never had a problem - that said I have heard there can be fusion problems and I have heard this many times from many separate sources.

All said the jaguar approved accessory ones should definitely be fine as the covers are still plastic and the threads metal but I am sure Ok but to be safe I have as I say used a little WD40

·
Registered
402 Posts
HARRIER said:
The jaguar one's are very expensive but then I am not expecting problems as a genuine accessory part.
You are certainly not kidding when you say the Jaguar ones are very expensive, which is the reason I purchased the EBay ones in the first place. How they can arrive at a price of £35 for 4 x valve dust caps absolutely beggars belief. I shall be sticking with the black plastic ones from here on in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts