Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XE 2.0D
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm worried about the sound of my engine. At a cold start, some metallic knocks are heard. The noise stops after a few minutes. Then the engine works fine.
Have you seen something like this? Is there any reason to worry? Thanks!

Video on YouTube

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
Wellcome. All diesels are noisy on start up. Lifting the bonnet makes them noisier. If the noise slowly goes within a minute or two then it's running OK. Have you driven a diesel car before? Have you any neighbours/friends that you can compare it with in any make eg VW, Mercedes etc as they all sound similar. One problem that gets new owners in a panic is the timing chain failure mentioned several times on here. That is only a few having trouble with early cars. Without actually seeing the car a video can enhance a noise that is normal. Wait for other replies but it sounds like any diesel on start up with the bonnet open to me. Is a service due? That may make it sound different.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Looking at the video, the engine is moving more than expected so there could be a problem with the mounts. There is also a noise, which could be loose components?

·
Registered
Jaguar XE 2.0D
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wellcome. All diesels are noisy on start up. Lifting the bonnet makes them noisier. If the noise slowly goes within a minute or two then it's running OK. Have you driven a diesel car before? Have you any neighbours/friends that you can compare it with in any make eg VW, Mercedes etc as they all sound similar. One problem that gets new owners in a panic is the timing chain failure mentioned several times on here. That is only a few having trouble with early cars. Without actually seeing the car a video can enhance a noise that is normal. Wait for other replies but it sounds like any diesel on start up with the bonnet open to me. Is a service due? That may make it sound different.
This is my first diesel car, I know that the diesel engine is noisy. But I think I hear loud metallic knocks a few minutes after the launch. Even if the hood is closed. I didn't hear them on the cars of my friends.
I'm waiting for a response from the car service, but it looks like they don't understand what it is.

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,364 Posts
There was a recall a few years back on cam balancer shafts. It may be them causing the problem or at worst timing chain. The problem with recalls or service items. If the owner doesn't take any notice then the fault remains and gets worse. That is the norm for all makes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts