Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody any info. on updating the XE Sat-Nav. The map details are on a SD card. This should make updating the maps, after activating the Map SD Card, fairly straight forward using the online Jaguar InControl Touch MapUpdater.
However what is not clear, is there an on going cost for the updates? If there is a cost, is it a subscription or an individual update by update cost? My dealer is unable to tell me - Duh!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't imagine it won't be any different to the DVD updates. Whilst things have moved on with SD cards I'd imagine updates will be available to buy and the prices are always in the hundreds. I would recommend getting very friendly with the service advisors whilst your car is in for service. Updates can then be done at the same time and hopefully. FOC.

If jaguar we're going to provide free lifetime updates I think they would be advertising it as a selling point in the same way Garmin and Tom Tom do.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked today (15/05/2015); Jaguar haven't yet publicised the cost of updating their Sat Nav SD card.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Sat Nav maps on the XE are abominable, completely useless. I have had my XE for one week and tried to enter postcodes for 6 favourite destinations and it will not let me enter the final 2 or 3 characters of the postcode, they are not available on the display. A total waste and JLR should be ashamed of themselves.
My solution will be to get my TomTom back out again or download Waze sat nav to my phone and get a windscreen mount for it!

·
Registered
538 Posts
damiennelson said:
The Sat Nav maps on the XE are abominable, completely useless. I have had my XE for one week and tried to enter postcodes for 6 favourite destinations and it will not let me enter the final 2 or 3 characters of the postcode, they are not available on the display. A total waste and JLR should be ashamed of themselves.
My solution will be to get my TomTom back out again or download Waze sat nav to my phone and get a windscreen mount for it!
I think this thread may be about that
http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3595

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ash - have you tried entering postcodes without a space - e.g. WN76GG, rather than WN7 6GG. Strange, I know, but that seems to do the trick. There's a recent topic on here called "SatNav Postcode - Stupid Me or Stupid It" - I think that's what the thread is called. The subject is covered therein.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi G7DCW (catchy!), it's not for me it's for damiennelson but that's the info I was trying to point him at, so cheers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ash - I'm sorry I aimed my post in the wrong direction! I'm so pleased G7DCW is catchy. It's something I can't forget (just like everybody says about their Army numbers), and which is unique to me. It's my original Ham Radio callsign, no longer a current one, but any other ham would recognize it for what it is or was.

I trust the OP has got his SatNav working now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried again today and found that some postcodes can be entered completely without including the space whereas others freeze half way through and will only continue if you then include the space. Either way they DO allow you to input the full postcode.

Not very 'User friendly' JLR! As to general use of the sat nav I will reserve judgement until I have had more experience of using it. Apologies if I have misled anyone.

·
Registered
741 Posts
damiennelson said:
I tried again today and found that some postcodes can be entered completely without including the space whereas others freeze half way through and will only continue if you then include the space. Either way they DO allow you to input the full postcode.

Not very 'User friendly' JLR! As to general use of the sat nav I will reserve judgement until I have had more experience of using it. Apologies if I have misled anyone.
It is because not all postcodes are the same length - xxnn nxx, xxn nxx, xn nxx or xnn nxx - and it tries to grey out characters which would no give a valid code. Unless there are only 6 character spaces allowed for, I would guess that all are allowable with a space. If there are only six character spaces then the first format would have to be without a space, the other 5 with.

Since the recent 'usability update' I have been unable to dictate an address that includes house number through voice control. e.g. 23 Railway Cuttings East Cheam. It just says 'house numbers not allowed with postcode input'. wtf.

My wife got a new Clio on tuesday, which cost less than a third of my Jag, It was easier to type in a full address, it provided 'best option' as I was typing and the map was a good deal easier to read. The system carried the LG logo.

Interestingly enough , I bet the Bose sound system it had would knock spots of Jag's standard system too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I finally got the SatNav to talk to me yesterday, and set it to take me home from a frequently visited address, through familiar territory. Well, the lady duly spoke instructions, but I could do without the frequent "pleases". The display showed up a major roadworks area, and either the SatNav was trying to get me to avoid the roadworks, or it was routing me via non-major roads thus coming up with a route which I long ago abandoned because of slow traffic, but which is more direct. If I hadn't known the area, I suppose I wouldn't have been surprised.

So - does the SatNav attempt to produce a route which avoids roadworks which it knows about??

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,433 Posts
It may well be that the settings are for "fast route" so it will take you the most direct way.
You can change the route priorities.
I have to say though that it can make no sense.
I went up to Manchester a while back and made sure the settings included toll roads.
On the way up I had to force it onto the M6 toll as it wanted to go off through Brum.
On the way back it took me straight through the toll!
:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts