Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very keen to order an XE petrol, are there many prospective buyers like me who want to wait for the new 2.0 petrol from Jaguar and not order the thirsty high Co2 Ford engine? (just look at the competition 2.0 petrol engine values). Understand the first petrol engines will come off the production line " well before Christmas" but for testing only. I wonder if the June 2016 availability will be brought forward because of higher demand than anticipated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hello Gesty, and welcome.
I wasn't aware that the Ingenium petrols were expected to be available by next June - is that from JLR themselves?
There's been a certain amount of discussion on here about whether a dirty but proven Ford unit might be preferable to a clean but untried Ingenium one.
I think that my conclusion is that , if I can exert the will power to wait until early 2017, the Ingeniums should have shown their mettle by then (in diesel form anyway), but, of course, the 'Fords' would be unavailable to buy new by then!....
It's a tough one :-?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gesty said:
I am very keen to order an XE petrol, are there many prospective buyers like me who want to wait for the new 2.0 petrol from Jaguar and not order the thirsty high Co2 Ford engine? (just look at the competition 2.0 petrol engine values). Understand the first petrol engines will come off the production line " well before Christmas" but for testing only. I wonder if the June 2016 availability will be brought forward because of higher demand than anticipated.
What was the new petrol 2.0 engine? I have an XE-R Sport on order with a 2.0 Petrol engine and its due to be delivered first or second week of September this year.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Gesty said:
The now ex bmw engines were more powerful and cleaner than the current Ford units.

328 as an example (2l turbo)

If they spend two years developing they will find themselves playing catch up again.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
HarryB said:
Gesty said:
What was the new petrol 2.0 engine? I have an XE-R Sport on order with a 2.0 Petrol engine and its due to be delivered first or second week of September this year.
Yours will be the Ford engine not the Ingenium.

·
Registered
235 Posts
HaloJones said:
HarryB said:
Gesty said:
Yours will be the Ford engine not the Ingenium.
I see, are these new engines designed for better performance or just lower emissions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Personally, I have no issue with getting the Ford unit. It's still more economical than my current car, and its tried and tested. A brand new car, with a brand new engine, made in England?...asking for trouble!

OK so I am joking a little with the last bit, but in all seriousness the Ford engines are pretty good and the fact that they are well proven makes all the difference to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes, it's the fact that the Ford engines have such a good reputation that makes it far from being a 'no brainer' to wait for the Ingeniums. Who knows, the Ford powered cars could become highly valued collectors' cars in years to come :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've ordered a 2.0 i4 200ps Petrol auto, Prestige. Configured options: £5,120.00 (is easy to do)? From reading the forum here I was a bit concerned that the engine is not the ingenium.
However I do very small mileage and I have had problems with the diesel jags I have owned before with the diesel particulate filter (S type & XF) despite the fact it's not the new ingenium Engine I'm going to stick with my guns.

·
Registered
202 Posts
hotdog said:
.................despite the fact it's not the new ingenium Engine I'm going to stick with my guns.
I think you'll be fine.
The mpg and emission figures for the Ingeniums are bound to be better, but I doubt very much that the difference will be dramatic, particularly for the mpg. I also doubt that they will be significantly more powerful.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Pickle77 said:
hotdog said:
.................despite the fact it's not the new ingenium Engine I'm going to stick with my guns.
I think you'll be fine.
The mpg and emission figures for the Ingeniums are bound to be better, but I doubt very much that the difference will be dramatic, particularly for the mpg. I also doubt that they will be significantly more powerful.
Power wise they are not far behind bmw who probably have the best range of engines barring those of significantly higher price.

Emmissions wise they are 30g ish worse than competitors so that's where they should improve most of all

·
Registered
799 Posts
Except fuel costs lower co2 seems to equate to higher mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
799 Posts
Which hybrid?

My r 180 has less than half the emmissions of my current car so will feel like a hybrid to me ☺

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Ford 2.0 petrol engine in the Jaguar is their Ecoboost engine which went into production in 2011 for the Ford Mondeo and other cars in US. Ford have already announced in 2015 that they will soon be introducing a new much more efficient 2.0 Ecoboost engine. It is very rare that a motor manufacture will dump an engine after 4 years. That is why I will wait for the new Jaguar engine as per link from Express and Star , midlands local newspaper http://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-news/2015/07/17/jlr-boss-well-be-in-the-midlands-for-generations/ .

·
Registered
505 Posts
Gesty,

That's a very interesting point about the Ford engine. Having said that, I was being driven in a Mondeo with that engine last week and it wasn't hanging around - it had a lot of welly - certainly as much as I'll ever need.

My wife has a Prius - second so far and as a motor, it is pretty good, although I had serious run in with the dealer when the auxiliary battery went flat over night, at 16 months, old for no obvious reason, and until I escalated the problem to Toyota Customer Services, I got no help at all - I must say that put me off Toyota as a brand - it's so easy to lose confidence and it takes a lot of rebuilding after an incident like that. The fuel consumption varies hugely between winter and summer - say average of 50 in winter and nearer 60 in the summer. Do you find that with your Honda ?

Ian

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.