Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from test driving the above and its lovely.

The steering feels beautiful, when you drive over raised nasty drain covers the suspensions soaks it up really well and when you turn in its just so pointy ans responsive with loads of grip - a joy to drive!!

The interior looks fantastic, seats really comfy and the engine is so smooth and its quite hard to believe its a diesel.

The gearbox is lovely too, but I'm glad i choose a manual as i like to have that extra bit of involvement.

The indicator stalks feel quality too, have a nice damped feel to their action and the steering wheel feels like a million dollars.

I can't wait to get mine!!

Test drove it at Jaguar Tamworth and Stephen Dodsworth (fleet sales) there is such a lovely guy - a credit to them really!

People were really giving it envious glances when I was in traffic - car looks the dogs!

BMW must be weeping.

·
Registered
46 Posts
oh Craste you lucky fella. Ive ordered an R sport with the 240 petrol, My local dealer in Warrington say they are starting test drives next week so hopefully get a go ASAP. Has anyone on the forum taken delivery of one yet?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Had a test drive yesterday in a R Sport 180PS Diesel automatic. Only the second client to drive it (44 miles on the clock!). The guy in front of me only visited the dealership for a test drive but ended up ordering one before he left. Kept me waiting !!

What a revelation. I'm surely impressed with my Jaguar dealer. I've ordered an XE in Ultimate Black, Jet upholstery and roof lining. That is exactly the colours I was presented with to test drive. Although others might not like my choice, after having seen the colours 'in the flesh', so to speak, I am very happy that I've made the right choice for me.

There's no doubt about it, with the F-Type steering wheel and instrument dials with the central dash and 8" display and the top of the dashboard sweeping around into the front doors, the interior seems to wrap around you with every driving control easy to reach and operate.

I currently drive a Volvo S60 T5 and they are supposed to have the most comfortable car seats on the market. But I reckon they may have to think again. The 10 way (10 x 10) adjustable front seats in the test XE were extremely comfortable, and would probably be even more so with 4 way lumber support.

Generally when there are reviews available for a new product, I tend to read them with 'a pinch of salt'. But no, from a personal point of view, I would whole heartedly agree with what I've read. I have ordered a petrol model, but after driving it I'm very impressed with the diesel engine; quiet and responsive to the accelerator pedal. My previous limited experience with diesels has been tiring on long journeys but even though I haven't driven the XE on a long journey my initial impression is that the XE diesel will offer a much more satisfying experience, in fact drives like a petrol engine.

Having driven and loved a gear stick for more years than I care to think about I was sceptical about ordering a car with an automatic gearbox. I enjoy the control that a manual gives you and like to think that I can drive smoothly with a gear stick but I come nowhere near the smoothness of the 8 speed. Changing up, down and kick down performed brilliantly. Will I want to drive a manual again, I don't think so. But, unfortunately I still have to wait for delivery of my car. I initially thought that perhaps the JaguarDrive Control, allowing you to select Standard, Eco, Dynamic or Winter modes, was a gimmick. But no, after trying them, using the buttons behind the rotary control, there is a distinct difference between them in the handling and responsiveness of the gearbox. The steering is positive with a surprising amount of feedback in spite of being non hydraulic. I didn't get to try the All Surface Progress Control but the dealer rep who accompanied me said it performed extremely well when he tried it on a skid pan.

The electric parking brake was very efficient with no jerking when applied and it released smoothly when applying the accelerator. The engine stopped and started quietly with no hassle at traffic lights and could easily be deactivated if not required.

The car had a panoramic glass roof which performed as you would expect with an electric blind matching the roof lining. My only reservation is the fact that the glass doesn't retract back between the roof and roof lining but raises above the roofline - a bit odd wouldn't you say? But because the incorporated deflector rising at the leading edge of the opening there was very little wind noise. Not sure if this is so above 50mph.

As pointed out by various reviews, the rear leg and headroom could be considered limited for a tall person (maybe 6'0") when the front seats are fully back. Certainly, the central back seat, because of the front central console, is really only suitable for a short person, not necessarily a child as the centre seat does not have an incorporated load limiter.

I'm looking forward to test driving the XE S when that arrives at my dealer's in a couple of weeks time.

To summarise, from what I've seen and driven so far, I don't for one minute regret ordering a XE. I have the first 11 digits of the VIN number (apart from the check digit) and awaiting in anticipation for a delivery early July.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi all, nice reviews so far. Even from those who have ordered a different engine or spec they seem to be impressed with standard features. I debated over the sunroof for a while as it's quite an expensive option but even with its weird roof spoiler look I kind of like it and it definitely lets some extra light into a dark cabin with the jet leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
really pleased you are all enjoying your test drives of the new xe, what car were you all driving previuos to driiving the xe , to give you a compoarison cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had my test drive on Tuesday from HA Fox Preston in a diesel R Sport.

Driver position in the car feel so good, quiet like the X type but much better.

The drive itself wasn't the most exciting ,we just drove up and down the dual carriageway for 20 mins. This did give me an opportunity to have a good 'play' with the touch screen and other controls.

I did notice that the mpg at 50 mph and doing barely 1000 rpm was 99, I'm guessing at is probably as high as the mpg goes.

·
Registered
425 Posts
NevboXe you don't actually say in your report whether you're pleased you ordered your Jet black XE.
Have you been given a delivery date yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts