Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that both rear shock absorbers on my 2yr old 20,000 mile XE are leaking oil - the right hand one leaking sufficiently to leave an oily patch on my drive where the car is parked.
I expect to get these replaced under warranty - but has anyone else had this issue? It doesn't seem that the original equipment shock absorbers are good quality if they leak after this relatively small mileage. I've had shock absorbers on other cars go for 100,000 miles plus without failure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
that's really early for shock to start leaking, not to mention that badly

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
Both are goosed now they are leaking but I wonder if this heat has caused them to fail? I think warranty should cover them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The XE is due for its first (2yr/21,000 mile) service and I've booked this for early August so will get the shock absorbers attended to then (I hope!). I'll report back if the dealership claims these are a "wear & tear issue" and not covered by the warranty. I must say it does concern me that Jaguar could fit such obviously poor quality items - with both leaking it can't be just a faulty one off.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a matter of interest I've just been researching XE rear shock absorbers, and they only seem to be avaialble as (pricy) Jaguar OEM items - typically in the £150-170 area, each. When they come fully assembled it seems they have a top attachment bracket which is handed, so different items for LH and RH sides. However, some vendors sell a unit without the top bracket, internal bump stop and dust shroud and this appears to be suitable for both LH and RH fitment, once the extra items are swapped from the old one to the new one. Curiously though, only one part number seems to appear - T4N7350.
Does anyone have experience of changing rear shock absorbers - is the swapping over of the top bracket etc straightforward?

·
Registered
351 Posts
From memory it is only one nut that holds bracket to shock and two for bracket to chassis.

·
Registered
2018 XE-S, Carpathian Grey, all the good fruit
98 Posts
it does concern me that Jaguar could fit such obviously poor quality items
Pretty cynical thinking considering you haven't spoken to jag yet. All companies have QC issues and occasional dud batches of products, simply can't be avoided 🤷 What matters more is how they deal with it

·
Registered
431 Posts
Are you 100% sure it is the shock absorbers? Normally they just 'mist' after significantly higher mileage. If they really had lost that much oil you would expect that the damping would be noticeably poor - if you did the bounce test you should really see a difference.

Could it be a rear diff leak? There have been some issues with rear diffs leaking without explanation. My car had to have a the seals changed on both sides due to a leak. There have been a handful of other reports on here including an S if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've checked the rear diff and all seems to be well. The bottom of the RH shock absorber, where it is bolted to the lower suspension arm, is wet with oil and that is what apparently has dripped onto my drive. The driveshafts are clear of oil and, if the diff was leaking, I'd expect those to be covered with oil also.
I, too, was surprised at the amount of oil that has leaked out. The LH shock absorber was just covered with an oil mist as you suggest.
Still, I guess it's worth another look to be sure.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To update this story.
I took my XE into the dealership today for its 21,000mile/2yr service and, while it was in asked them to look at the rear shock absorber leaks.
Unfortunately, I have a 50 mile journey to the dealership and there was torrential rain nearly all the way. This meant that all traces of oil were washed off the shock absorbers, so off course the dealership could find nothing wrong with them.
They also clearly didn't believe that I'd found a patch of oil on my drive directly below the driver side rear shock absorber - and that the base of the shock absorber was "wet" with oil, saying "they'd never seen a shock absorber failing like that". Neither have I, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't imagining it, though after a protracted discussion with the Service Manager I'm beginning to doubt it myself! They also said that a "misting" of oil on the whole shock absorber is quite normal and not a fault - and they assured me that they had wiped my shock absorbers clean for me!
So, I am really no further forward. I'm going to keep an eye on these shock absorbers and if they continue to leak I think I'll just replace them myself to avoid any further hassle with the Dealership.

BTW - the 21,000 miles service cost an eye-watering £529 and it was completed in less than 2 hrs. Labour was £224, parts & oil totalled £213.74 and VAT was £87.55. Within the parts cost was 7L oil at £121.66 and cabin filter at £49.08, both with VAT still to be added.
I know dealerships have got to make a profit, but some of these prices do seem to me to be well over the top. The car will be a year out of warranty when the next 2yr service is due and I think I'll do it myself then!

·
Registered
MY18 25T R-Sport (308PS)
293 Posts
BTW - the 21,000 miles service cost an eye-watering £529 and it was completed in less than 2 hrs. Labour was £224, parts & oil totalled £213.74 and VAT was £87.55. Within the parts cost was 7L oil at £121.66 and cabin filter at £49.08, both with VAT still to be added.
I know dealerships have got to make a profit, but some of these prices do seem to me to be well over the top. The car will be a year out of warranty when the next 2yr service is due and I think I'll do it myself then!
I hate to depress you, but the filter alone is indicative of some serious price abuse.

Below is what I installed in my XE a week ago. £13.50 inc delivery. It was identical to the very dirty one I removed. A 9 screw job, but definitely in scope of anyone capable of that.

I never go to Jaguar dealerships myself now (this is my fourth Jag). I have an independent once they leave warranty/free servicing. The only way forward, really.

Output device Computer keyboard Font Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I've never visited Kwikfit.
In fact my 21,000 mile service visit yesterday to the Dealership was the first time my XE has seen anyone in the motor trade since I bought it 2 yrs ago. I normally do everything on my cars myself and have done a couple of interim engine oil and filter changes myself since I've had the XE. I only got the service done at the Dealership to preserve the warranty.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The only thing you'll preserve by getting it done at the dealer is their bank balance (and possibly a smattering of goodwill)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts