Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was searching around the place and didn't really find much on this topic.

It seems the dealers are primarily focussed on the autos and the majority of you here have ordered an auto.
Anyone gone for manual or test driven one?

It seems that there are key features of the XE that rely on the auto, primarily the ACC as an option and the All surface progress control. However whilst sounding great I'm not convinced these are features I need, standard cruise control has always been fine for me in the past and do I really need the progress control for UK weather nowadays?

I've always driven manual and I prefer driving over "piloting" if that makes sense? So it's not that I view auto as "bad" just "different". But as a company car driver there are substantial cost savings with the manual transmission and the 163bhp engine and it seems a little in terms of fuel economy also,

So any opinions? :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've gone for manual.

Had an auto similar XF gearbox for past 8 years but only as car I drive had to much torque for a clutch so was only available in auto.

It's been great and changes quicker than I ever could but......It does have the occasional feeling of auto pilot which can be uninvolving if you are a keen driver so switch to manual mode to feel a part of it when that happens.

Have read the manual isn't as good as it should be and I've had some decent M Sport manuals in the past so I will be disappointed if it's no match for 10 year old engineering.

Gear shift isn't in an ideal position either but I'm sure I will get used to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Auto every time for me. Can't be doing with all that levers and pedals carry-on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Always had manuals so never thought about auto until I test drove an R sport Auto. Its very quick to change and much smoother than I could be on a manual, I was very tempted to change! Have read a couple of reviews about the All surface progress control on snow which were not very complimentary. ACC sounds cool but I seem to remember its packaged with other items making it expensive. The other items such as HUD I'm not fussed about and as for Blind Spot Information system, having had that for 2 years I find it more irritating than useful.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quigon said:
Always had manuals so never thought about auto until I test drove an R sport Auto. Its very quick to change and much smoother than I could be on a manual, I was very tempted to change! Have read a couple of reviews about the All surface progress control on snow which were not very complimentary. ACC sounds cool but I seem to remember its packaged with other items making it expensive. The other items such as HUD I'm not fussed about and as for Blind Spot Information system, having had that for 2 years I find it more irritating than useful.
ACC is the only auto only option afaik
I was quite taken with the blind spot feature, but there are probably better things to spend money in tbh
HUDs I just don't get when the info is already right there in front of you on the dash anyway, if there was a HUD only car now that would be interesting!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ah right the ACC is a £1500 standalone option - was getting cionfused with the highway pack ... seems like a decade has passed since I ordered :)

Blind spot is good for telling you something is there when you've checked and missed it, but not so good at ensuring nothing is there. Also, tends to get confused by hedges so you can get a constant bright amber light in the wing mirror driving country roads at night ... both mirrors if its a narrow lane!

Used to work fast jet HUDs so would be fantastic to see all the HUD features in a car! Some are appearing, I think BMW has a forward looking infrared for night time pedestrian detection ... just without the auto lock missile system I guess :))

·
Registered
799 Posts
They've had hud for quite a while (bm) but was a costly option.
I managed 150mph and still had time to check road ahead and dials so I think I can live without it.

Their new laser system looks interesting although I think mercedes has something similar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.