Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Have had an SOS button above me in my car and service link to main dealer for last 8 years and I didn't have car from new.

So based on how the article reads it sounds like they are playing catch up. But very positive that they are investing so heavily. The future is looking good with Jaguar.

·
Registered
799 Posts
None that I'm aware of. Article listed emergency calls and info to recovery etc as features of the system which mine does.

It says all cars connected which means to Jag not each other the way I read it.

EDIT it's basically BMW Assist. Automated call to emergency services if you crash including GPS location, info to service provider if you break down and not that I use it as mines an older model car but updating of google maps streamed to the car. Been around since 2005.

Subscription was £60/year after warranty now approx. £120 per year with full maps update. All from an inbuilt sim which is also used for the satnav system (no subscription if you don't have updates)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that SOS buttons have been around for a number of years but I can foresee, in the not too distant future that the 'connected car' technology and adaptive cruise control together with the on going development of autonomous driving capabilities will, I'm sure, lead to cars connecting to each other in a way that will prevent physical contact with the aim of dramatically reducing accidents.

Out of curiosity have you ever used your SOS button - how effective was it; in terms of response time ?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree it will all contribute to reducing accidents which is a good thing and that in the future cars will be 'connected'. But in that article nothing seemed ground breaking.

Never used it to be honest, hope I never have to in any vehicle but nice to have even if only to help bring assistance to someone else who has crashed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.