Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Jaguar have not provided any option for RSE, and I am really trying to get more family weekends away at the seaside, I was left in a predicament about keeping the kids entertained on long journeys (there is only a certain amount of 'I-Spy' and 'Yellow car' a man can take!)

The kids are old enough to be able to watch episodes of (insert random kids TV here) without getting bored after 30 seconds, but are too young to be left in charge of iPads without running the risk of them launching them across the car - which is why I wanted RSE of some description!

Following a short thread a while ago, and a pointer in the right direction from martinbailey (thanks!), I finally got a chance to test my own bespoke version of rear seat entertainment with the kids at the weekend! Much to my relief, it worked like a dream...the kid were entertained, there were no messy wires for the kids to get tangled in, and my better half could switch on/off & change the shows on demand from her phone in the front passenger seat!

I have tried to capture the setup in a diagram (attached) but if you need any further info, please let me know! :-bd

Product Sharing Gadget Output device Font

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Am really glad it worked well!

I think you might need to clarify the Kodi Media Server bit though... There is no Kodi Media Server app on the App Store, so I'd be interested to see what you selected to play the videos. I opted for VLC. The only problem with iPads is that they don't support certain formats, so some people may have to convert them from one format to another before putting them on the hard disc to play in the car...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, sorry - I missed that bit!

I am running Kodi on the iPads, but I had to jailbreak them before I could install it from the Cydia app store. Jailbreaking an iPad is not the complicated process I remember from a long time ago; it is literally a) plug it into the laptop, and b) run the jailbreak application. 2 minutes later it is done, and you can install Kodi!

This means that a whole heap of different formats are supported in Kodi, and also gives us the added benefit of being able to remotely control the things playing on each ipad from a remote control app...I found that VLC could not be controlled via a remote app, and as the iPads are (deliberately) out of reach of the children there was no way to control them without stopping the car and physically selecting the movie/tv show on each iPad.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
My step son purchased a cheap tablet and an sd card which he loaded with kids TV.
Works a treat.

Good effort tho guv

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gsb1970 said:
My step son purchased a cheap tablet and an sd card which he loaded with kids TV.
Works a treat.

Good effort tho guv
Haha, not enough excuses to buy gadgets in that solution, I'm afraid! ;)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's true,out of interest do you hang the pads off of the front headrests?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gsb1970 said:
That's true,out of interest do you hang the pads off of the front headrests?
Technically yes, although I'm not a big fan of 'traditional' ipad holders as, when removed, they can leave a post sticking that you could easily catch a toddler on when getting them in/out of the car. I found an incredibly simple 'slip' type case with elasticated velcro that goes round the headrest posts. You can either leave the case in situ and slip the iPad out of the top or simply unfasten the velcro to remove the whole thing: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koo-Di-KD701-Koo-di-iPad-Holder/dp/B00EO2UA1E

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yep,looks like the one he has.Halford do a version aswell I believe.

I'll show him your setup, luv the remote elemant.

·
Registered
664 Posts
great solution - nice one. Given that this is not really all that complex it makes you wonder why Jag don't offer it as an option, it could be all wrapped up as part of InControl,

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Guvnor,where do you store the wireless headset converters?
I take it that the wireless HD is plugged into your iPhone?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be the ideal - InControl is opened up for development and a remote app is ported onto it! Never gonna happen, though!

gsb - The wireless headset converters are literally the size of a £2 coin and have a belt clip on them, so I clip them onto the rear seat belts - the kids are still in car seats so the belts are not currently in use...

The wireless HD is just in the glove box - it is battery powered (off the top of my head is it about 8hrs charge?? Can't remember), and the iPhone is just connected to it wirelessly, the same as the iPads.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Really interested in trying this myself for the grandson,although he isn't even two yet,the wireless headset would be usefull a year or so down the line.
So the HD plugged into a usb battery then...never seen one so I'll do a search.

I would be using android but the process would be the same.

Cheers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
gsb1970 said:
Really interested in trying this myself for the grandson,although he isn't even two yet,the wireless headset would be usefull a year or so down the line.
So the HD plugged into a usb battery then...never seen one so I'll do a search.

I would be using android but the process would be the same.

Cheers.
The Seagate Wireless Plus has a build in battery AND wireless hub, which is how the movies are streamed to the tablet. There are around half a dozen different brands offering products like this (Seagate, Western Digital, Lacie, Samsung, to name four).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great! I guess an Android tablet could install something like Kodi without any further shenanigans too, so even easier! - let me know how you get on...if you need any more info on my setup, let me know :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks gov,it'll be next year now till I get to set up stage...pennies all allocated towards my xe fund,but the Xmas sales aren't far off

Cheers

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts