Jaguar XE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow XE-owners,

recently I found out that my fuel cap does not lock, allowing scallywags to either slurp off my petrol or to put some sugar cube in the tank. At first, I thought it was a defect of the motor that moves the pin. I talked to my local Jaguar garage and they suggested to take a look in two weeks.
Meanwhile I read in a german forum that LandRover removed the lock due to chip shortage. Not the lock itself, but the connectivity to the central locking system. And officially it's not possible to retrofit.
Now I'm afraid Jaguar is affected by "let's remove the petrol tank lock from a luxury car because f* you, peasant" stunt, as well.
Can anyone driving a MY22 XE confirm?

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
710 Posts
Mine doesn’t lock either it’s going into the garage on Monday so I’ll tell you what they say when I get it back as it’s one of the issues I’ve asked them to look at.

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
710 Posts
That’d really add to the car’s aesthetic 👍

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting. I remember fuel fill cap locks being retrofit added and then a standard feature on newly built vehicles here across the Pond starting with the President Carter Administration during the oil crisis in the 1970s. They also added anti-siphon features as standard practice in the late 1980s. When Petrol became very plentiful again and prices for fuel dropped, these same manufacturers dropped the locking fuel fill cap feature to save some cost. Nowadays, as far as I know none of the new vehicles sold in the USA have locking fuel fill caps acknowledging the anti-siphon feature remains (creating a bit of a pain when you have to drop and drain the fuel tank to address fuel pump/filter issues for those vehicles where the pump and filter are both embedded in the fuel tank). My MY19 XE does not have a locking fuel fill cap (neither does my MY15 Jeep Wrangler nor my MY07 Saab 9-3).

With all the above said, I wonder what features are being built into electric vehicle charging ports to prevent future energy transfer out of the vehicle (equivalent to syphoning) :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: MeowMix

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You always can fit a padlock😀
Like this?
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

They also added anti-siphon features as standard practice in the late 1980s.
What kind of feature would that be? Some kind of a sieve to block the hose? Afaict it's still possible to suck petrol out of the tank on modern cars. Even if there's some kind of petrol theft prevention system, it's still possible to add some sugar to the tank.
Nowadays, as far as I know none of the new vehicles sold in the USA have locking fuel fill caps […]
Yes, and that's weird to me. Over here in Europe I can't think of a car not having a lockable fuel cap (regardless of the manufacturer), either locked by a separate key, by the central locking system oder by having to pull some trigger inside the car.
With all the above said, I wonder what features are being built into electric vehicle charging ports to prevent future energy transfer out of the vehicle (equivalent to syphoning) :)
At least my Zoe's "fuel cap" needs to be opened by pressing a button near the dashboard. And even then it's for charging only. But I believe to remember that a Tesla is able to charge other cars.

Anyway.
I measured the cap and maybe I can find a lockable replacement cap somewhere from a third party manufacturer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What kind of feature would that be? Some kind of a sieve to block the hose? Afaict it's still possible to suck petrol out of the tank on modern cars. Even if there's some kind of petrol theft prevention system, it's still possible to add some sugar to the tank

But, as you say, it won't prevent sugar in the fuel tank from hooligans :-(

·
Registered
444 Posts
If it has been a deletion then using a pin to manually lock the flap with access from inside the boot might be worth looking into. For me it would only need to be unlocked every 2 weeks!

Reactions: MeowMix

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
The fuel outer covercap/flap is electronically locked when the car is locked. Lock the car and try getting into the outer flap. That should be locked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, exactly this is the problem. The flap is not locked because the latch that would lock the flap won't move when locking or unlocking the car.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The fuel outer covercap/flap is electronically locked when the car is locked. Lock the car and try getting into the outer flap. That should be locked.
ooooohhhh no it isn’t ;) - not panto season I know

That’s the problem FP it doesn’t lock thought initially it was part of the keyless entry so left keys well away rest of the car is locked but fuel ‘flap’ isnt

although it has locked at least once so probably a fault with the lock mechanism itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's why I wrote "MY22" ;). All previous variants should be fine.
Afaik there's a circular "SSM75755" which describes this issue for LandRover, i.e. "lock not implemented due to chip shortage".

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,513 Posts
Sorry I could not see any reason to have JLR change that. You can find locking caps on ebay that fit the XE. I have an old one from a Rover that fits mine but can't be bothered using it as the car locks mine OK.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That cover is plastic and clipped on pivoting arm, a screwdriver will pop it out just like that, will not stop someone who is focused on stilling your fuel.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Well I dropped it off earlier today I’ll see what the folks at JLR do with or say about it

Also it’s a brand new car it should just lock ! Shouldn’t have to be adding aftermarket items to it, was bad enough having to install my own sunglasses holder 😉

1 - 20 of 46 Posts