Jaguar XE Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The benefit of not locking the doors is that the little neds won't bother breaking the window.
Of course that flaplock is not very secure. It won't prevent anyone from doing mischievous stuff to the car, if they put their mind to it. But it's kinda effective against dimwits / casual opportunists.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I remember coming out of Preston Uni from an evening class. Only got 100yds out of the car cark and my car cut out. Got a torch to see if I could see anything as my fuel gauge was showing empty! Little bleeders had cut the plastic fuel line running from the tank to the engine! Luckily I had a gallon of petrol in the boot but I had to butcher a perfectly good foot pump to connect the fuel pipe back up! :mad:

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
721 Posts
I went to UCLAN and not surprised to hear that !

got car back…

they hooked it up to a laptop and updated various magic boxes which may or may not have cured the issue where it’s not selecting a gear I’ll need to drive it some more to find out but so far so good.

with regard to the fuel door they reported that they did find a fault with the motor for the lock and have ordered a replacement. So doesn’t look like they omitted it due to chip shortages which is a relief.

·
Registered
P300 R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Grey, Pano Roof, Black Pack & Wheels, Red Calipers MY22
721 Posts
Phil I forgot to mention my car was manufactured in January’22 and is a MY22 vehicle

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me if the dealer isn't aware that the functionality's been omitted and they fit a new actuator and find it still doesn't work... my cynicism's been honed over many years

·
Registered
721 Posts
No I don’t think that’ll be the case as I’m sure it has locked on the odd occasion but time will tell

·
Registered
2.0 Diesel R Sport with loads of extras inc accessories
1,518 Posts
I thought most car makers have an anti theft item built into fuel tanks making it impossible to drain off fuel ?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Interesting. I remember fuel fill cap locks being retrofit added and then a standard feature on newly built vehicles here across the Pond starting with the President Carter Administration during the oil crisis in the 1970s. They also added anti-siphon features as standard practice in the late 1980s. When Petrol became very plentiful again and prices for fuel dropped, these same manufacturers dropped the locking fuel fill cap feature to save some cost. Nowadays, as far as I know none of the new vehicles sold in the USA have locking fuel fill caps acknowledging the anti-siphon feature remains (creating a bit of a pain when you have to drop and drain the fuel tank to address fuel pump/filter issues for those vehicles where the pump and filter are both embedded in the fuel tank). My MY19 XE does not have a locking fuel fill cap (neither does my MY15 Jeep Wrangler nor my MY07 Saab 9-3).

With all the above said, I wonder what features are being built into electric vehicle charging ports to prevent future energy transfer out of the vehicle (equivalent to syphoning) :)
Yes I see. I thought that they had also done it here

·
Administrator
South Bucks
7,623 Posts
I can't recall the last vehicle I had that had a locking cap as in it needed a key to remove the actual cap.
Both my XE's and everything since has only had a locking flap.
I can't see a lack of "chips" would cause deletion of a locking flap.
More likely a bad batch from a supplier that is causing issues as it's only a motorised jobby (we have had a few failures of the locking flap here in the past).
Ford has had an "easy fuel" system for a while where there isn't even a cap on the filler - just a big rubber thingy you open using the nozzle on the pump.
I recall that on the XE people didn't even realise there was a plastic "cup" on the inside of the flap to put the cap whilst you filled up.
😆

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I can't recall the last vehicle I had that had a locking cap as in it needed a key to remove the actual cap.
Both my XE's and everything since has only had a locking flap.
I can't see a lack of "chips" would cause deletion of a locking flap.
More likely a bad batch from a supplier that is causing issues as it's only a motorised jobby (we have had a few failures of the locking flap here in the past).
Ford has had an "easy fuel" system for a while where there isn't even a cap on the filler - just a big rubber thingy you open using the nozzle on the pump.
I recall that on the XE people didn't even realise there was a plastic "cup" on the inside of the flap to put the cap whilst you filled up.
😆
My fuel locking flap failed on the 180D - the locking bolt somehow became misaligned and snapped when the Moto activated. Had it fixed under warranty.

Reactions: IvorB1H and PhilB

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I wonder how many replced the ring and rubber tie on the XE after it twisted and parted company from it's fixings. I did but that part seems thin on the ground now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well. The garage ordered a new motor for the lock, replaced it and – nothing. Instead, in some drawer they found a circular letter from Jaguar mentioning that due to chip shortage they installed a chip that isn't capable of controlling the motor, the car works as expected/designed and the customer is to be sent home as the fuel flap lock was not subject of the contract.
The garage expects the newer XEs to have a lockable flap though, and once the chip can be ordered as spare part they'd replace mine. Hopefully. Until then I try to get a lockable cap from them.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts